Infomercials-Inserted commercial volume OUTRAGEOUS!

Mark0

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Lowell, MA
Why can't Dish network do something about this?
Since they won't do anything, is there an option on my receiver?

The biggest problem is with the DISH NETWORK inserted commercials (Local Avails). The problem is cause by Dish not leveling out their volume levels on the commercials THEY insert so it is absolutely something they can fix if they had a mind to, but they don't. And that is the real issue at hand.

I understand better than most the technical issues involved in fixing this issue, but it is a problem that can be fixed.

See ya
Tony

You can look into an AV receiver that has Audyssey Dynamic Volume Control. Such as the Denon 3808ci

turning down the volume will be a better economical option, or Dish can do something about it with the billions of dollars they have.

Was just trying to give the OP another option. Obviously not the only reason to buy a new receiver, but if you are in the market for one anyway, it is a feature to look for if this is an important issue.

so this happens with comcast as well? if it does, I've never noticed it.

I've tried complaining to tech support but I get the same old pre-scripted response.... " sorry, but there's nothing we can do"

Mark0
This happens with all HD channels an SD local inserts. It even happens on low budget local OTA channels (locally Fox 19 WXIX is a culprit). The problem is the way SD and HD content has the audio set. The HD channels have a digital (DD 5.1) soundtrack which has a low level base line audio. This gives the channel a lot of "head room" for those bone-rattling action scenes and loud parts...when people are talking, it sounds like people talking. When helicopters are flying overhead, it is VERY LOUD and the DD5.1 track will do that.

When the local originated commercial inserts are placed into a channel, they are generally up-converted SD content which has a much higher base line audio level since it is usually standard analog sound. This means that the sound is a LOT louder than the average sound on a digital/HD channel.

The solution is a fairly expensive piece of equipment that equalizes the sound levels. The major technical issue is how to allow the commercials to have equalized sound while at the same time allowing the actual programs to have their full dynamic range (Loud stuff loud-soft stuff soft).

I have a dynamic range compressor on both my TV and my Yamaha DD5.1 receiver but I do not like to use them since it affects the sound for everything, not just the offending local insert commercials.

See ya
Tony

This is an FCC isssue

The FCC gives programmers a volume band. The shows are recorded and broadcasted at a low to mid volume. And the adds are produced at the highest volume allowed for that band. OK. Write your congressperson and have them do something with the FCC. By the way, DISH is one of the biggest violators.

I have found the same thing to be true for HD, and SD programming. HD audio is much louder than SD. watching a program in SD and switching to an HD program can be jarring at times. going from HD to SD can make you think that you accidently hit the mute button.

In part I agree with what skiph said. TV commercials are produced at the highest "volume" Technically this is incorrect, however. All TV is produced at audio volume where peaks are allowed to maximum reference. However, the loudness, or average audio levels are allowed to be increased through audio compression and this is directed often during programming creation like advertising, rock music, action movies etc. . This loudness is what you all are actually complaining about. Different broadcasters have different rules such as PBS not allowing any compression while TV commercials will often be produced with extreme compression to create that in your face presence. Annoying, yes, but in reality it has been shown that this works! This is why compression to extremes is often done. And, Dish is NOT one of the biggest violators. Well, I'm not so sure violation is the correct word since nothing illegal is in play. :) Mostly low budget used car spots on a local level are often produced at maximum compression.

But this is not the issue with the Dish Network) and others) loudness. I spoke to the tech person who is working on the problem at Dish when I was at CES. He said they are well aware of it and have a project ongoing now to control this using a software modification in their receivers. I was rather surprised at his response because I would have thought controlling the problem at the uplink would be the best solution. Here's why, the issue we have is one where there is a difference in levels between the DD2.0 ( appears very loud) and the DD5.1 ( appears very low). ( I believe TNGTony hinted at this one source) When the source, the networks began switching their encoding based on program source about a year ago, the problem surfaced. If you examine the metadata on the audio for these networks who have begun to switch between DD2.0 and DD5.1, you will see that the loudness is lower on the DD5.1 programs. A good example of this switching happens with CNN HD channel. Everytime the DD2.0 commercials appear the metadata now switches too and your receivers seem to boost the volume by about 6 db. Why these networks began to switch the metadata just over a year ago, I have no idea. Before, they would set the channel for DD5.1 or DD2.0 and everything would remain at that setting. Now Dolby does make a device to automatically adjust the volume equal on the audio between the two but few are using this and rely on the uplink engineers to manually control. Obviously these network engineers are either asleep at the switch or too busy to be bothered with this. The sad thing is Dolby has the solution and it must be inserted before audio encoding.

The problem with the Dish Network commercials is the disturbing physique of John Bastow.

DVR everything and you don't have to watch commercials :D

I tape noon packer games and start watching at 2pm and get to the end of the game like everyone else, but my yardwork got done when theirs didn't.

You also become an expert at anticipating the commercials :rolleyes:

DVR everything and you don't have to watch commercials :D

I always thought the idea of pausing live tv was kinda silly. That is until I got tired of the commercials and paused, did the dishes or something similar, came back and voila. The only thing I dont like about it is that you cant switch channels without deleting the buffer. I havent tried it but I suppose on a 622 you can switch tuners first and then change channels? Or will that erase it also?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)