Initial reaction on Sling Adapter

chibi said:
This might not be your problem but today I can not get sling to work if I go to dishonline.com but if I go to dishnetwork.com, log in there and click on
"Dish Remote Access" and access the old site it works. The new dishonline.com
was working for me yesterday. Strange.

I just noticed I am having issues with dishonline today as well.

dishonline not working today! Just what I need to confuse my situation even more!

redelephants, my iPhone is using wifi.

I am also having trouble sending a PM to TG2. every time I try to send it I get an error message that says both the subject and message fields have to be filled out. What does that mean, all I see are the Recepient, the Title, and the Message. Why can't I send a PM?

Tony S said:
dishonline not working today! Just what I need to confuse my situation even more!

I am also having trouble sending a PM to TG2. every time I try to send it I get an error message that says both the subject and message fields have to be filled out. What does that mean, all I see are the Recepient, the Title, and the Message. Why can't I send a PM?

Are u putting something in the title section? Try using dish.sling.com from your pc and laptop.

The "Title" is actually the subject line.

As to the Iphone and wifi.. I was working with a poster that was using an enterprise class firewall ... and he swore that he was 100% positive the data for his iphone was leaving his firewall going to dish/sling and then coming back in ... hence his upstream bandwidth was 2.5 megs.. and the max he could get to the phone was 2 meg. This is definitely *not* the case for normal operation on the Sling software.. but it is also possible with the sling software to impose that limitation (sling locally is listed in the config, and in the administivia that goes between webslingplayer & dish/sling servers).

Do any of the Windows players for the sling adapter offer hardware acceleration for playback? I have an ION / Atom HTPC that I'm trying to use to playback TV2 in HD remotely, but the unit doesn't have enough processing power to handle HD. I also dual boot the unit with XBMC which offers hardware acceleration, and in that setup it does handle 1080P pretty easily, so the hardware is capable if hardware acceleration is used.

My Windows setup is Windows 7. From what I could tell by searching the internet, it looks like XP is supported for hardware acceleration but Windows 7 is not. This is somewhat opposite of what one would think.

I'm pretty sure the drivers are now there for Ion hardware acceleration on W7. I found myself with a Sling Adapter purchased on day 1 and no computer gutsy enough to handle the HD streams. So, based on the recommendation of another member here, I bought a Zotac Zbox with the Atom and 2nd gen Ion GPU. This manifestly works when I first start it up; 4 threads show around 97% utilization, video looks good. Then (I'm assuming) something else starts up and makes playback go to heck, with audio out of sync and video stuttering badly. It's basically unusable.

This doesn't happen with HD Netflix, which seems to use both far less network bandwidth and less of the Atom MPU power (more like 75%) to decrypt and decompress.

Do any of the Windows players for the sling adapter offer hardware acceleration for playback?

I am using XP, and when it works, it is definitely using hardware acceleration on my system. The only problem is that is almost never works for me. On my desktop, I still haven't figured out what is wrong, but it only works maybe one out of every 30 tries. The rest of the time I get error message 2.

On my desktop PC, Dish online never works. Dish Remote Access works about 1 out of every 30 tries. My iPhone always works.

I'm pretty sure the drivers are now there for Ion hardware acceleration on W7. I found myself with a Sling Adapter purchased on day 1 and no computer gutsy enough to handle the HD streams. So, based on the recommendation of another member here, I bought a Zotac Zbox with the Atom and 2nd gen Ion GPU. This manifestly works when I first start it up; 4 threads show around 97% utilization, video looks good. Then (I'm assuming) something else starts up and makes playback go to heck, with audio out of sync and video stuttering badly. It's basically unusable.

This doesn't happen with HD Netflix, which seems to use both far less network bandwidth and less of the Atom MPU power (more like 75%) to decrypt and decompress.

I have the same problem with playback starting out good and then turning bad. What happens with me is the bit rate starts out low, which plays fine, but then it starts optimizing the bit rate (increasing it) and then the system starts stuttering. I could keep the quality lower, but the picture doesn't look the greatest.

I discovered 10 or 20 .NET Framework Optimization processes running in the background. Couldn't seem to get rid of them, so I removed everything I could find starting with .NET. Now utilization is very low until I start up the web Slingplayer plug-in. No change. :(

I sent you a PM that I've not received your log file ... also included my off site email address you can forward to for me to look at.

Key issues from posts sound like either a UPnP problem or bridge issue from wired to wireless ... the UPnP problem could be that its not masq'ing traffic properly *inside* to deal with port 5101 the port the receiver should want by default. This 5101 problem should be seen in the logs ... as the plugin directing traffic to the wrong IP address.

TG2, as you suggested, I have sent you a regular email with 2 log files attached. One log file is from one of the few times that my desktop computer worked correctly, and the other log file is from one of the many times that my desktop failed to connect to the sling adapter. Thank you for your help.

TG2, as you suggested, I have sent you a regular email with 2 log files attached. One log file is from one of the few times that my desktop computer worked correctly, and the other log file is from one of the many times that my desktop failed to connect to the sling adapter. Thank you for your help.
Thanks ... got um ... the usual suspects.. :( there's a 30 second jump in time that the last connection option attempts and gets no proper response from the 722k ... the problem is figuring out which reason it is for why the response didn't come.

was it a mangled packet? - another user has found that in their bridged setup, the packets were getting re-written by their gateway router ... they had alternative firmware (tomato I think it was) on the device, so they were able to add an additional entry to the config that would re-direct all packets coming into the gateway (your case 10.0.0.1) for the slingadapter (port 5101) to be redirected internally to the correct address.

Though in that case, the log file clearly showed it was attempting to connect to 10.0.0.1 where yours is not.

The other possibilities go in the direction of UPnP issues with port forwarding and internal forwarding ... and then some other network parameter issue or even firewall on the box from windows blocking ports without a detailed warning (keep blocking / unblock) etc..

Replied to your email too .. if you take on those steps make sure you have a backup available, and manually make a restore point so you can easily roll back any changes.. (wiill come up with more <hopefully> later when I'm done with this rescue transport today)

I am getting the same error 44/16 saying it was streaming but stopped. I went to the Dish Remote access which redirects me to dish1.sling.com and I do not see where I can even playback any shows from my DVR. It just asks if I want to record any of these shows to my DVR but does not offer playback.

Now we all know why they were giving the dang things away, they don't work lol. I knew there had to be a catch as to why they were just giving these things away.

Mr

I have the same problem -- error 36 or error 2 most of the time I try to connect on Remote Access or Dish Online. I have a very simple network consisting of a VIP722 (with Sling Adapter) hard wired to the router (Engenius ESR7750) and a PC connected wirelessly. I have 10 or more Mbps down and 1 Mbps upload speeds. Every once in a while it connects and works fine, but mostly I get the aforementioned errors. I've tried both IE and Firefox and even backed down to Firefox 3.6 because Firefox 4 seemed to have problems with SlingPlayer add-in. Now here's a new wrinkle. I visited my in-laws in another state and, just for grins, tried to watch my DVR. Damn if it didn't work perfectly every time I tried. This sounds similar to mystery of the iPhone connecting all the time. Is there something that happens when the DVR and the target PC are NOT on the same network?

lotusguy, that is exactly the same problem that I am having. When I am at home using my internal network, I get the same error 36, or error 2. Once in a while it connects and works fine. Like you, I can connect from outside my home. I have not been able to find the problem. What is really weird is that my iPhone works every time, even when I am at home. At home the iPhone uses wifi with the same wireless router that my home computer uses. The iPhone works every time; my desktop computer almost never connects.

Difference while away vs home: When you are connecting while away from home, you are communicating with the dish receiver and sling adapter over the internet. When you are at home you are communicating directly through your home network, the video does not go out over the internet.

A couple of other strange things that I noticed using my desktop computer.

Very rarely, when it does connect, it connects over the internet as if I am away from home. The video that is streaming is definitely going over the internet, even though I am at home. When this happens, the streaming bandwidth is limited to about 400K because I have DSL and my upstream bandwidth is limited to about 400k. I can see the internet lights flashing on my modem and router, even though I am at home. Usually, when at home and it does connect (which doesn't happen often) it uses my home network and the video does not go over the internet. The streaming speed goes up to 8100K when it is using my home network. Why does it sometimes stream over the internet even though I am at home?

Also I noticed that if my system decides to connect, it is usually the first or second time that I try it that day. Once it works the first time, if I stop the video, exit the browser, and try again, it will not work right for the rest of that day.

Also I noticed that if my system decides to connect, it is usually the first or second time that I try it that day. Once it works the first time, if I stop the video, exit the browser, and try again, it will not work right for the rest of that day.

Yes, this is exactly the way mine works, also. However, I have never seen streaming speeds over ~2kbps. My Wireless LAN is running at 300Mbps and my cable modem gives me >10Mbps down but only 1Mbps up. It seems like I have never connected locally - only over the web.

I guess mine has never connected over the home network. I thought it always connected over the internet even if I was at home. That would be pretty neat if it detected you on the home network and would use it instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)