Inline amplifier

Fumdart

Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Suburban DC
I am a newbie as far as Dish goes and I am not an installer. I have had Directv systems up til now that I installed myself.

I am moving to a VIP 722K and a DISH1000.4 dish. I presume that is the right dish cause I am near DC.

On my old SD DirecTV single LNB system I had 100 ft of buried RG11 cable from the dish and I had an inline amplifier where it entered the house and connected to the RG59 which ran about 40 feet to the receiver. I was getting 100% signal strength on one transponder.

Will this same inline amp work with the new system? I can't remember the name or model.

If it won't work, what will? I haven't bought anything yet but I want to buy my own equipment. That is the main reason for dumping DTV, You can't really "own" their equipment.

F

Fumdart said:
I am a newbie as far as Dish goes and I am not an installer. I have had Directv systems up til now that I installed myself.

I am moving to a VIP 722K and a DISH1000.4 dish. I presume that is the right dish cause I am near DC.

On my old SD DirecTV single LNB system I had 100 ft of buried RG11 cable from the dish and I had an inline amplifier where it entered the house and connected to the RG59 which ran about 40 feet to the receiver. I was getting 100% signal strength on one transponder.

Will this same inline amp work with the new system? I can't remember the name or model.

If it won't work, what will? I haven't bought anything yet but I want to buy my own equipment. That is the main reason for dumping DTV, You can't really "own" their equipment.

F

You are aware the only advantage to owning your own Dish equipment is there will be no commitment...other than that there is no cost savings.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

If you own the equipment will dish cover it under their monthly service plan??
I have had everything from remote controls to VIP722K receivers replaced at no cost to me.

F
Neither system should need an inline amplifier at 140 ft. Both DISH and Directv lease their systems, and both will sell you the system if you are willing to pay the nuch higher prices. For most people leasing is the cheaper method of watching TV.

Neither system likes RG-59 replace it if at all possible.

I got everything but the answer to my question.

It is my understanding that whenever something needs replacing or with an upgrade, the two year commitment starts over.

DTV Will NOT sell you the receivers.

Directv Inc. has announced that they are migrating to an equipment lease only platform beginning March 1, 2006 in order to help reduce individual subscriber acquisition costs and increase subscriber retention. This will have an impact on new subscribers in that they will never own their equipment but will instead pay a monthly rental fee for as long as they subscribe to Directv. This model is identical to the cablevision industry, which has rented its converters and decoders to its subscribers, which is extremely lucrative over the long run.

The upside to this new plan is that it will allow customers to enjoy the latest technologies such as MPEG4 HDTV locals as well as high definition DVR's much more cost effectively as they will not be required to pay $800-$1000 for the special decoder. It will also allow future equipment upgrades and as well receiver repairs are all covered in the monthly lease. The downside is that subscribers over the long run may pay in rental fees much more than the receiver is worth. Additionally, the receiver will remain the property of Directv and the subscriber will bear the responsibility of keeping it in good condition and must be returned to Directv upon termination of their subscription.

Directv dealers are currently in the process of being advised of the change which will be in full effect as of March 1. After this date, it will no longer be an option to purchase new equipment outright as Directv will not compensate its dealers for sold equipment after this date, only leased equipment. In order to make a minimal impact on existing subscribers, Directv will be waiving the lease fee on a subscribers first receiver. All additional receivers will be subject to a $4.99 per month leasing fee. This fee will replace the $4.99 per receiver mirroring fee that multiple subscribers are currently already paying.

It is also interesting to note that all new leasing subscribers will be subject to a minimum programming commitment (contract), identical to those that new subscribers are required to sign into. Individuals wishing to subscribe to Directv without a contract will only be able to do so with existing owned equipment or by purchasing pre-owned equipment. Existing customers wishing to add additional receivers after March 1 will also be required to lease them from Directv. Directv has also indicated that they plan to continue to offer free standard installation to new subscribers.

This new policy will also have an effect on its DVR customers as well. A common modification for existing DVR subscribers has been to upgrade the DVR's hard drive. This however has tended to void the manufacturers warranty, so it is likely that new DVR customers under the lease policy will be prohibited from making any unauthorized modifications to their equipment as it will remain the property of Directv.

Directv has also indicated that they are not offering any guarantee of new equipment being provided to you at the time of your subscription. They are reserving the right to provide re-conditioned equipment to subscribers if new equipment is not available. This provision would allow them to recondition off-lease receivers and re-lease them to new subscribers. Because Directv is phasing out third party equipment, re-leasing reconditioned receivers would prove to be highly profitable.

It is my understanding that whenever something needs replacing or with an upgrade, the two year commitment starts over.
Dish does not re-start commitments for replacements. Directv did for a while, and got sued for it.

Contact Directv accrss card dept. I bet they can arrange for you to own a D* receiver you may not like the price but they can be owned, it won't be free or $199.

johnwadams said:
If you own the equipment will dish cover it under their monthly service plan??
I have had everything from remote controls to VIP722K receivers replaced at no cost to me.

Yes

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Still no answer to my question. Just comments and comments on the comments.

Will the inline amplifier work or not?

______yes
______no

Not sure what amp it is.. But dishes equipment does not need an amp.. It is good with the 1.4 dish up to 200ft. You do need to replace the rg59 cable with RG6..

Still no answer to my question. Just comments and comments on the comments.

Will the inline amplifier work or not?

______yes
______no
The question was answered in that you do not need an amp. Should be removed from the equation.

Not sure what amp it is.. But dishes equipment does not need an amp.. It is good with the 1.4 dish up to 200ft. You do need to replace the rg59 cable with RG6..

"an inline amplifier where it entered the house and connected to the RG59" A signal amplifier about 2" long, cylindrical with male F connectors on each end. It gets it's power from the line going to the dish just like the LNB gets it's power.

The RG59 is buried in the walls so it is difficult to replace.

I got 100% signal strength on one transponder with my old DTV SD system with no overload so I believe the RG59 worked OK even though it might cause problems sometimes. I really don't have any problems but I am switching to Dish Network HD and I want to know if the same inline amp will work.

I presume these signal amplifiers are necessary in some cases or there would be no market for them,

You do not need an amp! You've been told this in previous replies. If you're dead set on using the thing, let us know if it works. But I'll say it again, you do not need an amp.

"an inline amplifier where it entered the house and connected to the RG59" A signal amplifier about 2" long, cylindrical with male F connectors on each end. It gets it's power from the line going to the dish just like the LNB gets it's power.

The RG59 is buried in the walls so it is difficult to replace.

I got 100% signal strength on one transponder with my old DTV SD system with no overload so I believe the RG59 worked OK even though it might cause problems sometimes. I really don't have any problems but I am switching to Dish Network HD and I want to know if the same inline amp will work.

I presume these signal amplifiers are necessary in some cases or there would be no market for them,
The reason it is sold is for consumers like you that don't know any better. Directv for the 101 satellite uses 950-1450 mhz DISH Net for Dish Pro uses 950 t0 2050 I believe so the Signal Amp probably won't work.

I presume these signal amplifiers are necessary in some cases or there would be no market for them

There's your answer, there is no market for them with Dish installs.
You got some knowledgeable answers here, maybe you don't need one?

So from what I am told:

#1 The RG59 needs to be replaced even though it works 100%.

#2 Nobody knows if the inline amplifier will work or not.

#3 I am supposed to find out myself if the amplifier will work and inform the people I am asking.

#4 I am a consumer "that don't know any better"

Just let Dish do the install and everything will be taken care of. The $6/mo service plan is controversial. If you need to replace a receiver, it only costs $15 for shipping without the plan and if you need a service call it $95. At $6/mo, that's $72/year. In my 13+ years with Dish, I have had only 1 service call which was not related to upgrading either the dish or receivers. I have never had the plan.
The answer to your question about the amplifier is that no one knows because no one uses one.

I was surprised to find a 30' length of RG-59 going to my bedroom 612. It actually was working fine, but I replaced it anyway on general principles. (I had to fish new cable through the wall and that was a definite PITA.) You can go some length depending on the quality of the coax and quality and number of fittings.

Just because your RG-59 worked for DirecTV does not mean that it will do as well for Dish bandstacked technology. According to boba's post, DirecTV is less demanding; it's the high frequency part of the signal that will get attenuated the most, and you could start losing transponders. Or not. Nobody on this forum can tell you for sure; we can only tell you best practices. Let us know how your install goes, and we (at least I) really mean that.

I think the real question is does the amp cover the frequency range of the newest HD systems. I don't know what the frequency range of the old SD Directv system was.

The main reason I put that amp in was because of the joining of two different types of cable and the length of the RG11. In my early coax LAN networking system installation and maintenance days, there was a problem at every joint and kink in the cable. Even a file cabinet sitting on the cable caused a speed bump that would reflect signals back and screw up the timing.

I put the dish way out on the edge of a high bank to avoid trees. It is probably more like 200 feet of RG11. At the time I think I read that 100 ft of RG6 was the max. I bought a 500 ft spool of RG11 and I still have some left. I dug a ditch with my backhoe and buried two RG11 lines in the ditch. I even put a 120v line in there for unknown future equipment.

So I put the $5 amp inline as insurance and it worked 100%. They make the amps for Dish systems too and I was wondering if the old one would work or if I needed a new one.

20 dB In-Line Signal Amplifier Satellite Coaxial F-Type LNB TV Antenna Digital Booster Coax Cable DSS DBS Dish Outdoor Video Channels, 950 - 2050 MHz DC Passive, 13 - 18 VDC, Part # LAA: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antenna

$2.95! Hard to believe that would do anything good. But if you really want to get your money's worth, :) then by all means put it in and tell us how it works.

The Dish equipment is spec'd at 200' of RG6. I'd say 200' of RG11 would not need anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)