Insect Repellent (just in time for summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
I would like to share an incredible home recipe for insect repellent with everyone. This stuff REALLY WORKS! Repels ticks, fleas, mites, mosquitos, gnats, chiggers, no-seeums, flies, deer flies, sand flies, moths, etc. It also protects your skin. Ingredients help to deter poison ivy/oak and sumac and fights any itches you might have. It smells good, works wonders for many hours and is a good skin conditioner (not too greasy and doesn't evaporate too quickly). Works good as a spray-on application or as a lotion. The recipe below makes a little more than 24 oz.

Ingedients:

Witch Hazel 16 oz

Avon Skin So Soft 2 oz

Jojoba oil 2 oz

Wal-dryl (Walgreens anti-itch zinc acetate spray) 1 oz

Ivy Block lotion (5% Bentoquatam) 1 oz

Johnson's Lavender Baby Oil 1 Tablespoon

Listerine (original brown) 1 Tablespoon

Borax 1 teaspoon (this helps keep everything mixed, but you still need to shake before use)

152 drops Lemongrass Oil

76 drops pure vanilla extract (not imitation flavoring)

76 drops Rose Geranium Oil

76 drops Peppermint Oil

76 drops Tea Tree Oil

76 drops Eucalyptus Oil

76 drops Lavender Oil

76 drops Cedarwood Oil

76 drops Catnip (spray from pet store)

NOTE: 76 drops = 1 teaspoon

Optional: 0.6 oz Hartz Ultragaurd Plus (for cats)

RADAR

I did not get a degree in chemistry so it's Cutters for me. What a PITA to make!!

Ok I am really trying to figure this one out. Half the stuff on the list has no properties or variables which in any means would provide a repellent

seems expensive to get all those oils if they are pure. Heck tea tree oil alone is about $12 for a half ounce.

Ok I am really trying to figure this one out. Half the stuff on the list has no properties or variables which in any means would provide a repellent

Sundrop,

The majority of the mix is called the "carrier". The Witch Hazel and the oils are meant to dilute the "essential oils" down to an appropriate level so they won't irritate the skin. You don't want to apply the essential oils or extracts directly to the skin since they are so strongly concentrated. Trust me, the bugs get the idea with just a little taste of these essential oils. You won't be "bugged" if you use this recipe, the bugs won't even come near you! I gaurantee it!

Using alcohols or oils to carry the essential oils can be benficial in several regards, aside from diluting the main ingredients that repel the insects. The oilier the carrier is, the less the mixture's tendancy to evaporate and thus it remains on the skin longer and provides longer coverage. The more alcohol used, the better suited the mix is for spray applications (a mist spritzer like you would use for your house plants).

Witch Hazel is an excellent carrier agent because it is so inexpensive and well regarded as a skin conditioner or astringent. Skin So Soft is meant to be used as a skin conditioner, too. But, it has insect repelling properties all on its own.

The Jojoba oil, the Ivy Block lotion and the zinc acetate (Wal-dryl) ingredients are just items that I added to help dilute the mix and provide some further benefit.

If a person wished to reduce the recipe to key components alone:

20 oz Witch Hazel

2 oz Avon Skin So Soft

152 drops Lemongrass Oil

76 drops Geranium Oil

76 drops Vanilla extract (pure)

76 drops Eucalyptus Oil

76 drops Peppermint Oil

76 drops Tea Tree Oil

Finding the proper balance between oils and alcohols is key to making this repellent more convenient for use. It is recommended that you keep the percentage of the total essential oils below 10% to avoid skin irritations.

The Lemongrass, Rose Geranium (that is actually citronella), vanilla and peppermint are the tops for insect repulsion. The other oils are also very good, but these are key. If you want to reduce the cost of the mix, don't skimp on these ingredients. It is really amazing how well this stuff works. 100% DEET doesn't even come close and most people don't like to use chemicals like DEET, especially on children or pets.

RADAR

Last edited:
seems expensive to get all those oils if they are pure. Heck tea tree oil alone is about $12 for a half ounce.

Yes, the ingredients are expensive, but it makes a lot of repellent and it lasts for a long time! I wouldn't make this stuff at home if it didn't work better than and didn't cost less than DEET (or OFF / Cutters / D-15 / etc).

Test it yourself. Take your wife or your best friend camping in the worst insect afflicted area that you can find. Make them wear 100% DEET or OFF or Cutters or whatever they like to use. You wear this repellent. The next day, shower vigorously and remove all traces of both repellents from your body and then switch products.

Write back and tell me what you really think of my recipe then. I bet you will be convinced! I guess I won't even bet on this, I KNOW you will be convinced. If I were to bet you, you would simply lose your money. I am that positive of it... It works so well that you won't believe it.

RADAR

Last edited:
Thicken the mixture

Add Aloe Vera Gel to thicken the mixture if you want to make it into a sort of balm, instead of a liquid spray. Add as much as you need to produce the consistency that you desire.

RADAR

laff Radar, I love that last part of your response to my comment on the price. :) I may just have to try it out.

I'm game for anything that doesn't involve bathing in DEET or other chemical repellents.

Yes, the ingredients are expensive, but it makes a lot of repellent and it lasts for a long time! I wouldn't make this stuff at home if it didn't work better than and didn't cost less than DEET (or OFF / Cutters / D-15 / etc).

Test it yourself. Take your wife or your best friend camping in the worst insect afflicted area that you can find. Make them wear 100% DEET or OFF or Cutters or whatever they like to use. You wear this repellent. The next day, shower vigorously and remove all traces of both repellents from your body and then switch products.

Write back and tell me what you really think of my recipe then. I bet you will be convinced! I guess I won't even bet on this, I KNOW you will be convinced. If I were to bet you, you would simply lose your money. I am that positive of it... It works so well that you won't believe it.

RADAR

All I could think of is walking into a mosquito infested swamp wearing this stuff and laughing at them...if it indeed does work that well. I trust ya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)