Audi or BMW? need help picking a car for my grad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
Okay I've been looking around the local classifieds for a decent car that will serve my son for around 2-5 years
Right now these are the two cars I went to see personally

2001 audi A6 4.2 Quattro getting it for around $6,500
Everything is in mint condition and it has 76k miles
Raycamara007.jpg

A 1998 BMW M3 from an old friend for 3,500 with 110k miles

DSC00337_1.jpg

I owned a BMW before and it served me well but I'm looking deep into the audi,the only problem is I never actually owned or know people who own one.

Any opinions apreciated
thanks!

I'd keep looking, or go with the Audi. I've heard too many tales of BMWs being shop queens.

Alrighty, Here in Puerto Rico I've looked around 2-3 lots, thats the best I could come up with
So I guess thats 1 for the audi:)

Thought I could help after reading the thread title, but I'm not familiar with those particular years. I (myself or immediate family) have had a 2003 330i, 2004 M3, and 2006 325xi (wagon). Currently I have a 2010 Q5.

So I really have no idea what repairs would cost. Usually only had the above cars for around 3-4 years (let alone 9-12).

Have you checked the blue book values? Definitely have a mechanic check it out before buying (I'm a Peoples Court junkie). Maybe run a check on the VIN numbers.

Personally, I would lean slightly towards the Audi. But let him drive them around and see which one he feels more comfortable with. Good Luck!

M3s are often abused, but it sounds like you know its history. Still, I would worry about that car in the hands of a younger driver. It is a seriously fast car with a reputation that may encourage him to do something stupid. (I still own an older 535 and have a friend with an M3 I have driven often). The Audi is seen more as an old guy's car and may draw less attention.

The Audi has the issue of being tightly linked with VW. I used to love earlier Rabbits and Golfs, but got seriously burned by a 95 GTI with the VR6. Literally. The thing eventually burned to the ground from an electrical fire. I also had cooling issues with that engine. Now, my problems were all with the Mexican assembled cars, so it may not apply to the German ones. Still, I would look carefully at the reliability data.

The Audi has the issue of being tightly linked with VW. I used to love earlier Rabbits and Golfs, but got seriously burned by a 95 GTI with the VR6. Literally. The thing eventually burned to the ground from an electrical fire. I also had cooling issues with that engine. Now, my problems were all with the Mexican assembled cars, so it may not apply to the German ones. Still, I would look carefully at the reliability data.

So far my Audi (2010 Q5) has been great, but it has only been a few months. I had 2007 GTI which was full of issues over the course of 2 years, namely:-

-faulty brakes. About one week after buying it (new) I complained that the brakes were too soft, apparently there was an issue with the brake master cylinder and it needed to be replaced.
-above brake issue was never resolved to my satisfaction, I had no confidence in the brakes. They were still very soft, and the pedal would go all the way to the floor with little effort from me.
-excessive noise when driving, I suspect it had to do with grinding from the brakes. The dealer blamed the bridgestone tires (Which came stock). Basically I would hear like a whirring noise which literally drove me crazy, it was more pronounced when braking/slowing down.
- A/C broke down on me twice
- battery died

Otherwise, it was pretty decent as far as handling and shifting (via DSG). Fed up with the issues, I traded it in for a 2009 Mini Cooper S which I love.

And totally unrelated to the car itself, but someone busted my window to steal some sh*t. I took it to VW to repair, they did do.....they wanted like $100 to vacuum the glass, I told them I would have someone else do it for cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts