Insignia NS-39D400NA14 LED LCD Review

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I will start this by noting that this is a bedroom TV/2nd TV for football and I do not really care for LCD’s. :)

That being said, I’ve been looking for an upgrade from my 2009 32” Panny for a while now. Samsung plasma was on the list, as well as Samsung and LG LCD’s. My dad has owned three insignia LCD’s in varying sizes and loved them all, I’ll even admit I thought the PQ was very nice for the price. Fast forward to now and everything I was looking at was going to cost me $400+ (wanted smart functions too), so I put my hands on this LED LCD early this week. For roughly $320, I got this 39” set plus the Roku stick (TV has a MHL port on it) and it works surprising well.

I broke out my meter, and while this does not really have any calibration control, I set light output to 35fl, color, brightness, contrast etc… and then checked grayscale in color temp modes. Set came in super torch mode BTW, with white test bars being severely clipped. I had to take contrast all the way down to 35 to get the bars to show up mostly as they should, and then used backlight for light output adjustment. Actually ended up with a 35 backlight setting as well, so this set will go WAAAAAY brighter (not that someone would need it IMO).

Brightness was spot on as it came at 50, and color was set to 75 out of the box (I ended up at 37). After all that was calibrated, I have to say for $249 + tax, I am very happy. The increased size will help in both the living room as a 2nd football TV and the bedroom as needed. My only complaints are the viewing angle is not as good as the old IPS Panny panel (not a problem for me), and even in warm mode it I still too blue. I get almost 8000k color temp with my meter, and a dE of under 10 for the whole grayscale run. The Panny had the normal service menu grayscale adjustment so I was able to get color temp where it needed to be. Not huge, but a con. Looking forward to the next several days with all the college rivalry games; should be a blast with65” and 39” displays going :)

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/televisions/NS-39D400NA14.html

Roku stick rebate came in the box.

I picked up the stripped down insignia model ns3940sna14 on Monday for $170 from Bestbuys Black Friday sale. I have elite member status at the moment and got early access to the specials. It is a nice budget tv. Ill be using it on my 3 seasons patio. It arrived last night with a shattered screen, was lucky to be able and get an instore replacement before they closed. Picture is nice, setup was easy. May try and get another one instore for the offices if I decide to get out and fight the crowds for anything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SatelliteGuys

Great deal. Hard to beat for a tv thats not used much or that you want to put somewhere that might shorten the lifespan. Only reason I got this one for $250 was the MHL port. If I watch anything in the bedroom it's late at night and it'll usually be some netflix on the Roku, like their original series. Will also help if there is a game we want to see on ESPN3, i can use the WatchESPN app.

FYI, my menu started popping up and scrolling and started doing all kinds of funky blankety blank. I did some reading and it seems the module on the side of the tv (volume and channel buttons) is known for being buggy on Insignias. Popped the back of the tv off, disconnected the one wire coming from the module, bam, fixed. Not taking it back for something so little.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)