Install 2nd SWM Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alexkr6g

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
pacific
I have purchased a second swm west coast hd dish, with inline amp and spilter. I have experience installing dish network systems for 20 plus years.

I do not want to argue about why I want this second dish or why. We have 4 acres shop is to far away to use rg6 off orginal spiltter, tried got no signal.

I have two hr-24, and the two non dvr receivers, I have copied the setup of the orginal dish installed on Sept 21 of this year.

I have forgot how to download to my birddog meter, computer does think it is a virus. Played with it for several days on and off, tired of fighting with it.

So I need to be sure on how to hook up everything in right way and how to use receiver to find satellite. When I go to aligment screen I see no signals at all, but on birddog I do see signal strengths that are 200 or more, I understand these are dish sats, and that the dtv sat is on different freqs and polization.

Please make only replys that address my issue, dbs had several reply's one was proper the rest were a waste of time. Hate to be a grouch, but have been trying for a week, then found this site.

Thanks Alex

:welcome to Satelliteguys Alex!

I'm sure you've gotten the usual advice to make sure the mast is plumb, etc. If you aren't getting any signal at the dvr, using an amp may be the problem, not the solution. To be clear, you have a second dish so that the run from the dish to the dvr/receiver isn't too far, yes? How far is the new run? What type of lnb are you using, swm or regular? Are you using a multiswitch and if so, which model? Perhaps you can give us a list of all of your equipment and how it's hooked up.

I just checked your post a dbstalk. You have a swm3 lnb and the amp you refer to must be the power inserter. Back to the top then! Check the mast to be sure it's plumb. That's very important. Set the elevation and skew to what the receiver says it should be, but don't tighten the bolts down yet. Then line the dish to the approximate azimuth and check your signal levels. If need be, move the dish slightly and wait for the signals to show a change. Use either 99c or 103c for this. It takes some time, but eventually you should get numbers in the 70s to 80s. When you do, tighten the base to the mast. Then push lightly in each direction on the back of the dish and see what that does to the levels. They should show improvement in one of the four directions. Then it's a matter of making fine adjustments until you have the numbers in the upper 80s and 90s. Good luck, you can do it with some perseverance!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)