Install dish in an apartment...problem!!

If they make it a habit to sell to apartment dwellers, they'll be out of business soon.
Oh we'll do themn. But only if the customer wants to pay for a non pen mount and blocks to hold it in place. We also have the customer sign that they will be responsible for all chargebacks to us if they move or of the apartment management makes them remove the dish or if the customer moves to a new place that has no line of sight

Is it that big of a deal to install at an apartment? Why is that? I live in an apartment in Dallas, and the guy had no issues with mounting or anything like that; there were some line of sight issues that were taken care of with a wing, but that doesn't have to do with it being an apartment.
Oh but it does. Issues are , the aprtment faces the wrong way. The owner or management company places restrictions that make the install nearly impossible. And yes , some apartment management companies ban satellite antennas form their complexes. That to some is illegal. And the way I see it, it is . But how many apartment dwellers have the time or the funds to go to court and sue the people banning satellite antennas?.

Hi there,

Did you install the dish in a bucket in your apartment? now the apartment guys does not allow dish without a bucket.

I may also face the same problem of line of sight, so can you please tell me what is this 'wing'?? if I need south east and I am on south west, will it help me to get the south east with this wing??

Thanks...
MOst international programing is no longer available from the 61.5 slot. The 118.7 slot is where it will be found. Any programming that is curently n 61.5 will eventually be migrated to the 118.7 slot. So the 61.5 is not available and Dish will not do a new connect or Dish mover to the 61.5 satellite.
BTW the 118.7 slot is in the southwest.

Oh but it does. Issues are , the aprtment faces the wrong way. The owner or management company places restrictions that make the install nearly impossible. And yes , some apartment management companies ban satellite antennas form their complexes. That to some is illegal. And the way I see it, it is . But how many apartment dwellers have the time or the funds to go to court and sue the people banning satellite antennas?.

no court battle needed. already been fought. just print out the OTARD rules and send it in to the management

no court battle needed. already been fought. just print out the OTARD rules and send it in to the management
One thing I never do in situations like this is ask a question for which I already have the answer.
To the apartment management or owner OTARD is non binding. That's where the court battle comes in. Yes OTARD rules state what they state. But if the property has the tenants sign a lease and the no satellite clause is in there, there is nothing the tenant can do except find another place to live or take the property management to court. Which brings right back to the issue of time and resources. Another example. My Parents used to live in a gated community in SC. The resrtrictve covenants covered all outdoor antennas. Satellite dishes included. These devices were banned. It 's a tradeoff. Homeowners wishing this kind of lifestyle surrender cerrtain freedoms. It is what it is. If one wishes to have an OTA or satellite antenna, they are free to live elsewhere. Its a choice. Heck I have a friend who is Golf Course superintendant at an exclusive private country club in Jax, Fl. Residents must keep their lawn green and 100% weed free or face sanctions from the HOA.
I would never live in a place like this. Nor would I live in an appartment complex that was not satellite friendly. I do not agree with this type of thing. So I stay away. Again, it's a choice.
I am not going to go back and forth on this. I am only stating what can and does happen. I have been asked to leave two aprtment complexes since I have been a tech. Both times I was told I was not nor would I ever be authorized to install a satellite antenna on that property. I am not going to fight it. I called the office and they told me it was going to be added to the notes on the account and if Dish or the customer wanted to pursue it ,they could. It's not our battle. And I don't have the time to get into a pissing contest.

Now if anyone says "why wouldn't you fight for the customer?" It's not my customer. It's dish's customer. They sold the system. It's their battle. And I am not in the business of getting involved in things that I have no authority to act on.

I guess I just got lucky. I signed up with dish online, and wound up with a contractor installer. i have a ground floor apartment, the management told me a tripod was okay, and I see clamps on the upper floor apartment balconies.

my tripod is in the grass outside of my patio, so it's not fully within my area, but is in an area roughly covered by OTARD. my contractor installer didn't charge me for the tripod, wired the cable to a ground to an outside outlet on my patio, and drilled a hole through the wall and the cable into my living room.

No extra charges, no mess, no problems with the management. apparently I'm lucky.

Many years ago when I lived in an apartment, I was aware of OTARD, but did not want to battle with the property manager if I could avoid it. This was also so long ago that it was very rare that apartment dwellers had DBS.

Most people don't realize the look angle of a DBS dish is so high that it often easily clears the balcony railing even when mounted so low that no part of it is visible over the balcony, just as long as you've got a little distance between the dish and the point on the railing you need to clear. So I did a little aiming with a drinking straw, protractor, and compass, and figured out the lowest height I could mount the dish. Then I added a few inches just to be safe, but still ended up with a really short pole for my bucket mount, 30" or less IIRC. So the top of the dish was below the height of the balcony railing, invisible from outside the apartment, and nobody even knew I had a satellite dish. A year or two later lots of people got dishes, and made no attempt to hide them, as it turned out the apartment manager didn't attempt to regulate installs - heck, I saw some people drill mounting holes right into the wooden balcony railing.

It is against the law for a property owner to deny a tennant satellite tv service.They can however,make it as difficult as posible for you to get it.

I don't know why apartment buildings don't just mount a dish and share the feed with the tenants. Seems a lot better than forcing everyone to have their own.

I don't know why apartment buildings don't just mount a dish and share the feed with the tenants. Seems a lot better than forcing everyone to have their own.

I'm glad my apartment complex doesn't do that. I want to pick the package I watch, the receiver I use, and thus the amount I pay.

It is against the law for a property owner to deny a tennant satellite tv service.They can however,make it as difficult as posible for you to get it.

Yes. But a charge must be made. A case brought. Then a decsion by a court, before sanctions can be carried out.
This is how apartment complex mgmnt companies and owners of these places are able to skirt the law.

You can use a non-penetrating mount which uses bricks to hold the pole for the dish.

They also make phased arrays in which are flat and are only around 10-12 inches and square but only receives from one orbital satellite location at a time. You can also get dish covers. The signal can go through plastic. You can get creative.

You can use a non-penetrating mount which uses bricks to hold the pole for the dish.

They also make phased arrays in which are flat and are only around 10-12 inches and square but only receives from one orbital satellite location at a time. You can also get dish covers. The signal can go through plastic. You can get creative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)