Install Hopper in Travel Trailer Camper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Chris04626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
MAine
I am going to have a seasonal at a place that only has local channels 2,5,7 I will be at the camper part of the week and hop for a couple days.

My question is is there a way to get a dish and take a hooper and joey with me and hook it up when im at the camper. The camper has cable ran to main tv and the bedroom tv

Thoughts? Id hate to have to get another subscription to dish to be able to watch a little tv

Yes, you can do that. You need a dish (depending on how much choice you want will determine what LNB to get) and a "node". I'm pretty sure with a single Hopper and single Joey, all you need is a "single node". You will need to take care of these things either on your own or hire a Dish retailer/installer. Do NOT call Dish to set this up - they will make you get a 2nd subscription. A retailer, when paid directly, will "look the other way". ;)

Wondering if it would work with current wiring for the travel trailer, Theres a main cable input that will prvoide cable to both tvs, and there is also a place on the outside labeled satellite There is also a cable the previous owner ran from the outside into the bedroom for internet he said

Look up a wiring diagram for the hopper system. You need two cables going from the LNB to the node (wherever you put the node), the a single cable going from the node to the hopper and a cable from node to joey. It can be done, but it may be more involved that just dropping it in with existing wiring.

You will need a second coax cable input to the trailer for the two cables from the dish to the Solo. You could disconnect the coax input marked "Cable" from the antenna amplifier switch for one of the cables.

For the Joey in the bedroom. If you aren't going to use the bedroom TV with the antenna, disconnect the coax cable from the antenna amplifier and use it as the Solo to Joey run.

Or you could add a third coax cable through-wall and feed the Joey cable outside to the "Internet" cable.

Like this right
Hopper1.jpg
One coming out of node and ran to satellite connector on camper and the other one for the joey ran from node to connector they labeled internet?

The one i have inside my house the cable comes inside goes to a TAP cable goes from TAP to hopper and another cable goes from dpx back outside somewhere

Last edited:
The above solution will work. You will need to upgrade the "Cable" coax input with 3GHz barrel connector and 3GHz cable.

Depending on when you go on your vacation & the release of the new Wireless Joey(someone said May),that would be an option for you & save on cables. Of course everything would have to align just right(your vacation coming up after the release of the Wireless Joey) for that to occur.

My setup is very similar to what you want to do, just making it all come together is the difficult task. Two cables from dish to solo. Then your existing cables to the solo. As others have pointed out, your wiring might not be up to the task. Be aware that if you are currently hooked up with a duo node at your house that every time you move the Hopper and Joey that you will need to run a check dish as part of your setup.

Are you planning on doing the dish setup yourself? It's a bit tricky but not impossible.

Yes, i have pointed a dish plenty of times before and ran cables. would be nice if i could use the cables already in it but havent checked them out yet

Ok i just looked over my wiring, In the main room i have two jacks one labeled Tv and the other labeled SAt/Aux. And there is an on off button, not sure what this is for. The 2nd tv just has one orginal jack and it doesnt say tv or sat/aux on it So i assume this room is only wired for cable? It also has the 2nd jack that the previous owner installed for his cable modem.

Typically, the bedroom TV coax either connects to the OTA amplifier or to a multiple selection switch box.

Assuming no multiple selection switch box, then the Sat/Aux comes from the outside. The other jack marked TV is coming from the OTA amplifier. The on/off switch powers the OTA amplifier. When the switch is on, then both TVs are connected to the OTA antenna. When the switch is off, then both TVs are connected to a coax from the outside that should be marked Cable.

This why you cannot use the input marked Cable for the satellite as it goes through the OTA amplifier.

However, it OTA is not needed, then you could disconnect the cables from the amplifier and use them for some of the hopper wiring.

the current cable that is ran though is CATV rg59. Previous owners had Time Warner cable and internet hooked up

Last edited:
I was told I should be able to use the sat connector for my hopper and for the Joey I can use the rg59 that was ran for the internet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)