Install question for 2nd hopper

maggiep67

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hey everyone,

They hubby had a question that I know could probably be answered here!

We are planning on a 2 hopper/2 joey install. The first hopper will replace the uverse dvr in our family room. We would like to install the second hopper in our master bedroom. We have not previously had a dvr there only a set top box in the past. Is there any special wiring needed for a hopper? We have the one line (obviously) coming in but do hoppers need 2 lines?

Also, we do not have ethernet available other than in the office. Any issues with this as far as internet connection? We currently use AT&T for wireless in our home.

Thanks,
Maggie

Here you go :-

2h2j.png

Just ignore the 2-way splitters since you'll only need 2 Joeys. Basically, three lines are needed from the dish to the node, and 1 line each from the node to each receiver. The Hoppers require RG-6 preferrably swept to 3GHz though many modern 2.2GHz RG-6 lines will work as well. Joeys only need RG-59, however RG-6 preferred (IMO.)

Here you go :-

View attachment 83065

Just ignore the 2-way splitters since you'll only need 2 Joeys. Basically, three lines are needed from the dish to the node, and 1 line each from the node to each receiver. The Hoppers require RG-6 preferrably swept to 3GHz though many modern 2.2GHz RG-6 lines will work as well. Joeys only need RG-59, however RG-6 preferred (IMO.)

The RG-6 cable needs to be rated for 3G, anything less will cause all types of problems. As far as an internet connection, the hopper can connect to the wifi if that's the only option.

How do I know what kind of wiring we have? Our house is 6 years old. We have had directv and currently Uverse service.

Thanks again.

How do I know what kind of wiring we have? Our house is 6 years old. We have had directv and currently Uverse service.

Thanks again.

Your present RG-6 , six year old wiring should be fine. You just have to have new cable run from the Dish to your present "wiring hub".

KAB said:
Your present RG-6 , six year old wiring should be fine. You just have to have new cable run from the Dish to your present "wiring hub".

Awesome!!

Some people are bothered by noise in the bedroom, the Hopper with it's hard drive may cause problems. A Joey may be quieter for the bedroom.

boba said:
Some people are bothered by noise in the bedroom, the Hopper with it's hard drive may cause problems. A Joey may be quieter for the bedroom.

Good to know but that shouldn't be a problem. I grew up near NYC & to this day need noise to fall asleep. Usually set the sleep timer on the TV once we are on bed.

Is it difficult to switch if it is a problem (although I think we will be fine)?

Maggie

Some people are bothered by noise in the bedroom, the Hopper with it's hard drive may cause problems. A Joey may be quieter for bedroom.
I've yet to hear a whisper from my hopper, even when standing next to it during updates/reboots.

The RG-6 cable needs to be rated for 3G, anything less will cause all types of problems. As far as an internet connection, the hopper can connect to the wifi if that's the only option.

Not entirely correct. Many modern 2.2GHz cables that weren't swept for 3GHz are in fact more than capable of handling 3GHz (talking about the last 5 years or so.)

I've yet to hear a whisper from my hopper, even when standing next to it during updates/reboots.

+1 - The new Hopper in my bedroom is so silent I can hardly believe it. The VIP612 is replaced drove me crazy with the constant fan noise. Haven't noticed any noise from any of our Joeys either, but I have not been necessarily listening for it from them.

That was the first thing my dad said when he had his Hopper installed as well. Not about the cool features, but how quiet it was. It is a very nice change indeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)