Install Question (plus free rant!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Becket

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
You may remember that about 2-3 weeks ago, I posted because I was having trouble installing my HD receiver -- I had replaced my old dish with the triple LNB dish, and while all the old SD boxes worked fine, the new HD receiver simply couldn't detect the new dish. After several phone calls, the problem appeared to be with the existing wiring in the house (old cable wiring). A test of the receiver with a direct run from the satellite seemed to confirm this, as it detected the dish just fine.

So, I needed a wire run from the satellite into the house. I called D* and they arranged for an installer to come out. The date of the install was yesterday between 8-12.

/begin rant

So, the installer calls up at 9:30 to say "sorry, we have to cancel, we had some people quit." Having taken off work (and with Sunday Ticket HD starting on Sunday) this was unacceptable. They promised to try to get someone out, and I explained that this one was pretty simple -- just a cable run.

After several calls back during the day, they still had not shown up at 5PM, but said "we've got three people working on getting to you today, and we aren't leaving til it's done."

This is the last I ever heard from them. All attempts to reach them after 5PM got their answering machine.

I called D* to see what could be done. The CSR there told me that the installer's new excuse was "the Hurricane" (I live in Virginia, not Florida!). She told me that I was "on standby for today, but there was only a small chance they'd get to me." They had scheduled me for a Tuesday install instead. I can't take off Tuesday from work as I have meetings all day. The next available date? Sept. 20.

I'm furious about this. I think it's unacceptable to call the day of an install to cancel, let alone string me along throughout the day.

/rant off

Anyway, all I need to do is run a wire from the satellite into the house. Does anyone here have experience drilling through walls to run wires? The room with the TV is right by the outside wall where the satellite wires are grounded (I have the dish on my porch, not my roof). I would think that I can just measure to the right area where I want the wire to come in, pray there's no internal wiring, and drill into the wall. But never having done anything like this before, I'd like some guidance on how realistic it is for me to do this myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Woohoo!

I picked a logical place to run the cable, and one hour later, everything is up and running. Now, to cancel those installers and get a credit on my account for the install charge...maybe I'll leave a note for the installers that I'll be around from 8 to 12.

:) :) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.