Install Screwup

megawayne

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Friend of mine from work had a new install done. He ordered HD with DVRs and 4 rooms. They came to do the install. He was working on something else when they done the install. After it was done, he asked the installer to explain the operation of the DVR. The installer said it was in the manual. After he leaves he realizes he installed a normal HD receiver. So he calls dish, they tell him there is nothing he can do without paying an upgrade fee or paying an ETF fee.

What is someone to do for something as bad as this. Personally, it makes me want to move on to different things simply because of the whole situation. Does anyone know a way around or someone else to talk to because I personally think this is the most underhanded thing ever. The 1800 number even said the original work order called for a HD DVR but was too late now. Sorry but this really pi$$es me off and its not even my TV. Thanks.

He called the 1-800 from the commercial or the website. So it was basically "their" installers and they were arranged by them. They will do nothing and work only through Dish.

Tell your friend to call Dish Network and threaten to cancel the service. If they don't budge, then rip out the equipment and send it back to them. But, remember to cancel the credit card Dish Network has on file, so they won't be able to charge your friend any fees. :mad::mad::mad:

They want to charge the ETF fee. It seems they would want to start off on the right foot with him being a new customer. Customer service sucks in this world these days.

That really sucks my friend. Not much he can do except call and complain and try and try and try to get it changed to the correct setup.

My question to anybody having an install done. Why dont you go over the work order before the install? Do you buy a car sight unseen? Most likely not. 5 minutes of discussion coulda saved him alot of pain.

but to reitterate. He got screwed, it needs to be made right.

papalittle said:
The installer should of called ahead of time and verified what the customer wanted.

Thats true, obviously the installer didnt care, he even told him he had to read the book for the dvr he didnt even have. That instaler was a jack ass.

Not only that, the installer should be sent on his way to the unemployment line. Of course he isn't eligible for unemployment because he got terminated with cause....

There is no way that the installer could have installed a non-DVR receiver if the work order called for it. The system will not let you activate it.

Anyone just letting an installer leave without showing them how to work their system, really gets what they deserve. The customer should have gone over what was expected before any work was done.

The OP is a bit unclear. A four room installation, with HD DVR's. Each room was supposed to get an HD DVR? Or was there to be one or two HD DVRs and they were put in the wrong rooms? What receivers did he get instead?

Also, I've had five or six installations over the years (Directv / Dish Network). Each time, the installer went over how to use the device.

I'm guessing it was 2 HD DVRs feeding 4 rooms? Agreed, a bit unclear, but it probably makes no difference for this discussion. (Will they even install more than 4 leased tuners? Too many changes of late for me to keep up!)

Probably too late now, but I think in every state you have a 3-day window to cancel any contract without consequence. I'd do exactly that if still within the window. And cancel that credit card that was used to set up the account as mentioned above. And contact my local BBB. No threats, just action...and fast...!

There is no way that the installer could have installed a non-DVR receiver if the work order called for it. The system will not let you activate it.

Anyone just letting an installer leave without showing them how to work their system, really gets what they deserve. The customer should have gone over what was expected before any work was done.

What's the sub supposed to do, wrestle the installer to the floor and make him say uncle so he can get an explanation. :) There are some obnoxious people running around as installers out there and many fine people as well. The young guy who did my Dishmover in FL at the family's winter headquarters, while competent and pleasant, couldn't have explained anything to me because he didn't speak English and I don't comprehende Espanol all that well.

What's the sub supposed to do, wrestle the installer to the floor and make him say uncle so he can get an explanation. :) There are some obnoxious people running around as installers out there and many fine people as well. The young guy who did my Dishmover in FL at the family's winter headquarters, while competent and pleasant, couldn't have explained anything to me because he didn't speak English and I don't comprehende Espanol all that well.
Well, technically, it may be possible he did install the DVR, it is just in the wrong room.

Sorry for not being more specific. He wanted the DVR for the livingroom/den and hd receivers in the bedrooms.

As far as going over the work, that is the reason I dont allow them to touch anything usually. I always make the installers mad, but I always get what I want. He called them the same day and was told there was no 3 day window to cancel.

He is just extremely trusting and allowed them to go on their word which is garbage these days in most industries now. He is not very familiar with the receivers and did not know which one had the dvr function. At this point he is going to pay the ETF, and go to Directv. He realizes that its alot of money out of pocket, but Dish should realize that they have lost a customer for life with him. I mentioned cancelling the card to avoid the charge, but wants to be honest and pay it. He's nicer than I would be.

Thanks for reading my rant.

By the way, NO dvr was installed in the house whatsoever. He was left a owners manual for a VIP series receiver with the DVR. The installer was a real douche.

I have been told by the same installer group to call the Dish customer service line for help on the receiver. Would not explain anything whatsoever. Also, they argued with me that component had a better picture than HDMI but that is another story.

Like some others have said before, if he signed the papers before the guy left, I'm afraid he's SOL. If he was supposed to have a DVR & one wasn't installed, he shouldn't have signed off on the install... not sure how Dish will handle it, but you never know...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)