Thinking of going back to Dish -complex install question.

MagicDragon

Original poster
Apr 17, 2023
New Mexico
After reading this forum off and on for years, I signed up today to ask the following question about my non-standard install scenario for potentially returning to Dish as a customer. I was a Dish subscriber for over 20 years, starting back when you had to purchase and self-install all of the equipment. When I left San Francisco in 2018 I needed a break from complexity and went to straight OTA at home with a rooftop antenna.

Over the last 18 months, for TV on road when on vacation, I have used one of the Direct TV boxes from my commercial business paired with Winegard Trav'ler Direct TV dish that came pre-installed in my RV (still OTA at home). Having recently sold the business, I'm getting ready to shut down my commercial DTV account. I can't get the older non-DVR DTV boxes for a residential account so I started looking at either Sling TV or Dish for home and the RV (Hopper + Wally).

After reading predominately poor reviews of Sling TV, and having been unable to sign up for the service at all since the ransomware attack, I've pretty much ruled that out. Yesterday, I reached out to an Executive Customer Support person at Dish, whom I had been escalated to when I was unable to sign up for Sling, and asked the following install questions regarding Dish:

I wonder if you could help me with a complex Dish install question...I don’t want to sign up for Dish and have the local installer show up and install all the wrong equipment and then have to follow behind and replace it all at my expense. The conversion of my Winegard Traveler from Direct TV to Dish in my RV alone is a $400 expense and a day of my time so I want the home install done right the first time.

My install needs are:
Dish Hopper Plus + 1 Joey
1 Wally (to be used at home when not traveling and in the RV when traveling)
DPH42 Switch to allow use of both the Hopper and Wally on the same home network
DPP LNB -the hybrid LNB won’t work with the DPH42 switch
Dish OTA adapter: I still have my old Dish OTA adapter that worked with the Hopper 2. I don’t know that it is still compatible or I need the new dual-tuner version. Regardless, I suffered through enough of Charlie’s battles and blackouts with the local San Francisco network affiliates over 20 years that I’m not going to pay for Locals over Dish

I have 3 RG-6 lines running to my roof
1 to my OTA
2 spare
These lines are home-run to a structured wiring system that feeds my whole house. I have a Pueblo style house so no attic and no subfloor = no new RG-6 install. Provided the DPH42 is installed on the roof, the existing structured wiring will accommodate the install.

So, my question is:
Can I set up this level of install as a new customer OR can I become a new customer and have DISH send me the correct equipment to complete my own self-install? (Which I am capable of doing).

the Executive Support answer was:
...We would not be able to request a specific installation switch to be installed. The technician that goes out would determine what switch/LNB is best needed and/or what install type is required...

He added that I would have to buy the Wally outright, which I already understood.

I know that installers are capable of installing complex systems, otherwise Dish wouldn't make all the complex equipment to support them. So, my question is: Is there a way to sign up for Dish service and ensure I get the right equipment installed to support my needs? I don't want get hooked on a 3 year contract and then have to buy a new LNB, DPH42 switch and install them myself after the "installer" is done.

The generally apathetic answer from Dish doesn't make me feel like my business is terribly important to them -which is surprising given the subscriber decline they have experienced in recent years.

Thanks for any help/advice.

After reading this forum off and on for years, I signed up today to ask the following question about my non-standard install scenario for potentially returning to Dish as a customer. I was a Dish subscriber for over 20 years, starting back when you had to purchase and self-install all of the equipment. When I left San Francisco in 2018 I needed a break from complexity and went to straight OTA at home with a rooftop antenna.

Over the last 18 months, for TV on road when on vacation, I have used one of the Direct TV boxes from my commercial business paired with Winegard Trav'ler Direct TV dish that came pre-installed in my RV (still OTA at home). Having recently sold the business, I'm getting ready to shut down my commercial DTV account. I can't get the older non-DVR DTV boxes for a residential account so I started looking at either Sling TV or Dish for home and the RV (Hopper + Wally).

After reading predominately poor reviews of Sling TV, and having been unable to sign up for the service at all since the ransomware attack, I've pretty much ruled that out. Yesterday, I reached out to an Executive Customer Support person at Dish, whom I had been escalated to when I was unable to sign up for Sling, and asked the following install questions regarding Dish:

I wonder if you could help me with a complex Dish install question...I don’t want to sign up for Dish and have the local installer show up and install all the wrong equipment and then have to follow behind and replace it all at my expense. The conversion of my Winegard Traveler from Direct TV to Dish in my RV alone is a $400 expense and a day of my time so I want the home install done right the first time.

My install needs are:
Dish Hopper Plus + 1 Joey
1 Wally (to be used at home when not traveling and in the RV when traveling)
DPH42 Switch to allow use of both the Hopper and Wally on the same home network
DPP LNB -the hybrid LNB won’t work with the DPH42 switch
Dish OTA adapter: I still have my old Dish OTA adapter that worked with the Hopper 2. I don’t know that it is still compatible or I need the new dual-tuner version. Regardless, I suffered through enough of Charlie’s battles and blackouts with the local San Francisco network affiliates over 20 years that I’m not going to pay for Locals over Dish

I have 3 RG-6 lines running to my roof
1 to my OTA
2 spare
These lines are home-run to a structured wiring system that feeds my whole house. I have a Pueblo style house so no attic and no subfloor = no new RG-6 install. Provided the DPH42 is installed on the roof, the existing structured wiring will accommodate the install.

So, my question is:
Can I set up this level of install as a new customer OR can I become a new customer and have DISH send me the correct equipment to complete my own self-install? (Which I am capable of doing).

the Executive Support answer was:
...We would not be able to request a specific installation switch to be installed. The technician that goes out would determine what switch/LNB is best needed and/or what install type is required...

He added that I would have to buy the Wally outright, which I already understood.

I know that installers are capable of installing complex systems, otherwise Dish wouldn't make all the complex equipment to support them. So, my question is: Is there a way to sign up for Dish service and ensure I get the right equipment installed to support my needs? I don't want get hooked on a 3 year contract and then have to buy a new LNB, DPH42 switch and install them myself after the "installer" is done.

The generally apathetic answer from Dish doesn't make me feel like my business is terribly important to them -which is surprising given the subscriber decline they have experienced in recent years.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Dish will not create that work order.

They WILL create a work order for the Hopper 3, (Don't settle for anything BUT the Hopper 3) and the Plus - which I'll bring up at the end, but the tech will put up a 1000.2 Dish with a Western Arc DPH (Hybrid Slimline LNBF) using 1 cable to a Solo Hub, then on to the Hopper.
The tech that shows up will not be able to modify the work order.
If he's not an in-house tech, you MAY be able to sway him to install the DPP LNBF, the 44 Switch trunked to a 42 Switch using 3 lines from the Dish. using port one out of the 44 switch for the Wally (although it may work off port 2 out of the 42 switch making the 44 switch unnecessary) - that'll need to buy, preferably from an online retailer. SolidSignal.com is a good one and has the Wally for $99.00.

OR, you tell Dish you want a Hopper Duo - which will not support the Plus (bear with me) in which case you will get a WA DPP 1000.2 LNBF using port 1 directly out to the Hopper and you can use port 2 out for the Wally.

Now, why do you want a Plus?? Do you need to stream any app that you can't with a Firestick or the native OS on your TV?? The Plus is buggy, glitchy, and a pain in the ass, TBH. A streaming device like a Roku, Firestick or (My preference) an Nvidia Sheild Pro is WAY better for streaming

Thank you very much. As one of the forum's experts, you have confirmed what I anticipated is likely to happen.

I wanted a Hopper plus because I can choose that one on the Dish site and it is newer than the Default Hopper 2 the site states will be installed in my zip code. I want a Hopper 3. I just started reading up on the plus and it would not be replacing my Firestick so, yeah, that's out...

Frankly, it appears that I'd be better off buying exactly what I need and installing it all myself and then just having the service activated -provided that is even still allowed by Dish. It's a rather expensive investment however. well over $800 in hardware + my time for the privilege of watching Dish between the RV and house on only 3 tvs (I was planning to use DishAnywhere on Firestick for the less-watched sets). At least I wouldn't end up with a bunch of uninstalled Dish hardware in my garage though. Still, it feels real expensive to become a customer again.

I was surprised that DirecTV told me NO to moving my HD24 stand-alone receivers to a Residential account -and thus losing me as a customer. Dish seems equally as inflexible with the installation that would keep me as a customer long-term.

I must have been out of pay TV long enough that the Stockholm Syndrome has worn off. The customer experience is quite sub par.

Thank you again for your very helpful information.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Oh, and as for the Duo. I don't think that's a long-term option. We have 10 TVs in the house. Granted, most of them are used on a very limited basis. However, the ability to call and add another Joey if needed is something I want to be able to do. I don't think the Duo supports more than one additional Joey. I've read mixed reviews of DishAnywhere so I'm not 100% sure it's the solution to additional Joeys.

Thank you very much. As one of the forum's experts, you have confirmed what I anticipated is likely to happen.

I wanted a Hopper plus because I can choose that one on the Dish site and it is newer than the Default Hopper 2 the site states will be installed in my zip code. I want a Hopper 3. I just started reading up on the plus and it would not be replacing my Firestick so, yeah, that's out...

Frankly, it appears that I'd be better off buying exactly what I need and installing it all myself and then just having the service activated -provided that is even still allowed by Dish. It's a rather expensive investment however. well over $800 in hardware + my time for the privilege of watching Dish between the RV and house on only 3 tvs (I was planning to use DishAnywhere on Firestick for the less-watched sets). At least I wouldn't end up with a bunch of uninstalled Dish hardware in my garage though. Still, it feels real expensive to become a customer again.

I was surprised that DirecTV told me NO to moving my HD24 stand-alone receivers to a Residential account -and thus losing me as a customer. Dish seems equally as inflexible with the installation that would keep me as a customer long-term.

I must have been out of pay TV long enough that the Stockholm Syndrome has worn off. The customer experience is quite sub par.

Thank you again for your very helpful information.
You can definitely do your own install and have it activated by Dish and yeah, for what you want, it's pricey to buy. You could see if there is a retailer locally who would do the setup you want and just pay for the installation. Retailers have a lot more leeway than In-house and subs do.

I, personally think the Duo is a waste of money

TBH, and it's gotten to the point that I love the look on a customer's face when they ask me if I have Dish and I say a little sarcastically, No! I have 2 teenage daughters and the three of us stream everything we want to watch.

Oh, and as for the Duo. I don't think that's a long-term option. We have 10 TVs in the house. Granted, most of them are used on a very limited basis. However, the ability to call and add another Joey if needed is something I want to be able to do. I don't think the Duo supports more than one additional Joey. I've read mixed reviews of DishAnywhere so I'm not 100% sure it's the solution to additional Joeys.
If you have 10 TV's that are not all watched at same time an idea would be get a Wireless Joey with wifi access point then you can just unplug the wireless joey and have an hdmi cable hanging out of each TV , and just unplug the WJ and plug it into the next TV, that way you only pay ONE $5 or $7/month fee for that Joey. The wifi access point plugs into the back Network port of the H3 so that stays in one spot. or you could run a network cable to like a central area of your house and plug it in there for a centralized wifi range. just my 2c.The Wireless Joey AP requires NO Satellite Dish Connection, it just plugs into Hopper3 that simple.

Dish will not create that work order.

They WILL create a work order for the Hopper 3, (Don't settle for anything BUT the Hopper 3) and the Plus - which I'll bring up at the end, but the tech will put up a 1000.2 Dish with a Western Arc DPH (Hybrid Slimline LNBF) using 1 cable to a Solo Hub, then on to the Hopper.
The tech that shows up will not be able to modify the work order.
If he's not an in-house tech, you MAY be able to sway him to install the DPP LNBF, the 44 Switch trunked to a 42 Switch using 3 lines from the Dish. using port one out of the 44 switch for the Wally (although it may work off port 2 out of the 42 switch making the 44 switch unnecessary) - that'll need to buy, preferably from an online retailer. SolidSignal.com is a good one and has the Wally for $99.00.

OR, you tell Dish you want a Hopper Duo - which will not support the Plus (bear with me) in which case you will get a WA DPP 1000.2 LNBF using port 1 directly out to the Hopper and you can use port 2 out for the Wally.

Now, why do you want a Plus?? Do you need to stream any app that you can't with a Firestick or the native OS on your TV?? The Plus is buggy, glitchy, and a pain in the ass, TBH. A streaming device like a Roku, Firestick or (My preference) an Nvidia Sheild Pro is WAY better for streaming
Well explained! Regardless how Dish writes it up if the basic needs are on the order the Dish Techs will make what you need happen! I would make sure in the end you got exactly what you wanted and needed!

Well explained! Regardless how Dish writes it up if the basic needs are on the order the Dish Techs will make what you need happen! I would make sure in the end you got exactly what you wanted and needed!
Not in-house techs. Maybe not even some subs although there is more leeway with a sub

TBH, and it's gotten to the point that I love the look on a customer's face when they ask me if I have Dish and I say a little sarcastically, No! I have 2 teenage daughters and the three of us stream everything we want to watch.
LOL Same here. Customers expect us to say "yes".

Reactions: HipKat
I'm down south in Las Cruces. I can do the install myself no problem. It's the cost of the equipment that turned me off on it.
Dang, too far for me. Basically if you were closer to tx Panhandle you could of just set up a normal work order for hopper and I'd set the switch up at no charge and all you'd have to do is purchase a wally. But you may be able to find a local tech willing to do it.