installation assistance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brewerdude

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
I'm trying to setup a receiver at my in-laws RV park so they'll have TV for the summer...

I purchased a new 311 receiver, and grabbed the old dish that was used at my house to point to the voom satellite. My first question - the dish only has a single LNB - will this even work? 2nd question - do I need a switch? (what is a switch anyway?).

If a single LNB will work, should I point to the 110 or 119 satellite?

The problem I'm having now is I can't hit anything. Before I go any further, want to make sure that with the equipment I have if it will even work...

thanks in advance for your assistance.

Given the choice, I would point at the 119 sat. Majority of regular programming is on it. A single legacy LNB like you have should work. Get your settings right on the dish for the 119 sat and try and hit it.. That I can't help much with. No switch is needed, but you may have to run a switch test to get it to recognize the LNB and Dish correctly

A switch is needed whenever you have either

- more than 1 satellite
- more than 2 receivers

A Single LNBF can feed 1 satellite to 1 tuner, a Dual can feed 1 sat to 2 tuners.

Thanks. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the 119. :-(

Any tips on finding it. I made sure the mast was level and plumb. Set the elevation for my zip code and pointed it 170 degrees (had a compass to figure out where that was).

If I do need to get dish to come out - how do I get this setup so it's an additional receiver on my account rather than a whole new account?

Any tips on finding it. I made sure the mast was level and plumb. Set the elevation for my zip code and pointed it 170 degrees (had a compass to figure out where that was).

If I do need to get dish to come out - how do I get this setup so it's an additional receiver on my account rather than a whole new account?

Do not call Dish to come out, call a local retailer who will hook you up for a small fee and just add the receiver to your account.

Since you didn't specify a zip code, I can't tell whether you 170 degrees is right or not. But if your settings are right you should hit the satellite when pointed correctly. That doesn't mean you will see it by just pointing it where the compass says. When you swing back and forth make very small movements and watch your signal screen.. There is a slight lag in the system these days if you are using the on screen meter. If you have a radio shack or something like it close by you might want to pick up one of those $20 tweaker meters. They don't work that great but they do work and will make it much easier than the signal screen.

As stated above, DO NOT CALL dish thinking they will fix this without creating a separate account.. Call a local retailer and pay his rate if you can't do it yourself. May cost a service call, but deffinitely cheaper in the long run not having a separate account.. Just get it added to your account as a secondary receiver. I am sure an independent will know exactly how to handle that.

See if you can get wrong satellite detected on the screen by panning left or right. If you can't, then you might be set too high on the elevation. If you can, you might be set too low.

Another common mistake is loosening the dish too much to move it side to side. You want the bolts just loose enough to turn the dish. Too loose and you are indirectly changing your elevation angle. Also, what do you see in front of the dish at your 170'? Have any trees? If all else fails, do you have another LNBF you can try? Maybe yours is bad.

Do not call Dish to come out, call a local retailer who will hook you up for a small fee and just add the receiver to your account.

How much does it cost for those retail installer to come out? Dish cost 50-100 bucks.

The last time I had a retail installer to come out, the person was a pain in the neck. Grrrr!!!

Thanks all for replies. btw - the zip code is 85383 (nw Phoenix)

I opted for a local retailer and he's coming out Saturday morning. Will be $80 for first 1/2 hour and $40 for each 1/2 hour after. Hopefully won't take him too long.

I'm pretty disgusted w/ myself. Used to be able to hit D* sats all the time way back when I used to have their service.

thanks all, finally got it working. wouldn't you know that while the guy was on his way, I starting messing w/ it and hit the 119. I didn't bother calling him off since he was bringing me a dual LNB anyway.

The in-laws are happy to have decent TV at their "summer" home. They currently have cable and were excited about all the channels that I get (a250). :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts