Installation didn't happen. Advice?

Matinthehat

Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hello.

A couple weeks ago I ordered Dish and when the installer arrived he 1. was very frustrated that he couldn't find my house (the one with the big numbers stating my address on it) and 2. told me that there were trees in the way and he couldn't install and left.

Now I do live in the Santa Cruz mountains and there are a lot of trees. However, I got out my trusty compass and there's a clear path in the S.E. direction based on what I'm reading on the Dish website.

I also think the azimuth is good here as well. I'm reading that the angle should be about 35 degrees which is just above the tops of a ridge of trees.

Looking at another Dish install about a mile down the road it appears to be angled more like 40 degrees.

Should I contact Dish and have them send this guy out again? I would actually prefer a self-install if possible - does dish allow that? (If the guy was right then I could just send the equipment back without wasting his time.) I have a 500 from a previous install minus the Lnb and receiver.

Thanks for any advice!

Hello.

A couple weeks ago I ordered Dish and when the installer arrived he 1. was very frustrated that he couldn't find my house (the one with the big numbers stating my address on it) and 2. told me that there were trees in the way and he couldn't install and left.

Now I do live in the Santa Cruz mountains and there are a lot of trees. However, I got out my trusty compass and there's a clear path in the S.E. direction based on what I'm reading on the Dish website.

I also think the azimuth is good here as well. I'm reading that the angle should be about 35 degrees which is just above the tops of a ridge of trees.

Looking at another Dish install about a mile down the road it appears to be angled more like 40 degrees.

Should I contact Dish and have them send this guy out again? I would actually prefer a self-install if possible - does dish allow that? (If the guy was right then I could just send the equipment back without wasting his time.) I have a 500 from a previous install minus the Lnb and receiver.

Thanks for any advice!

Oh hell yes. Go for it.

Installing a system ain't nuthin. Any moron can do it.:up:up:up

How well did the previous install work. If it didnt work well then it won't work now.

If the tech is a contractor he will not waste his time on installs the might not work. If he puts the effort into putting up the dish and if it doen't work he gets nothing. In my experence it is better for everyone to walk away from these installs it is ususlly a loose-loose.

Also, per Dish requirements, the elevation must have a 5 degree clearance; not saying I agree but that is the new spec...so, if the elevation is 35 degrees, there can no obstructions from 30 degrees and up. This also applies to the azimuth - if azimuth is 245 then 240 to 250 must be clear. You may be better off with a local retailer. As for a self install, sure - go for it. But, most installers will walk away from service if the source of problems is line of sight. Of course, you may be perfectly fine and clear but just got a lazy installer who didn't feel like actually working...get a 2nd opinion should be your first choice.

I would install the 500 and verify the location is good.

THEN call and have a reinstall, and point to the dish you put in and say, it was working recently

They will love you for having found the sats/saved him time and instead of an 'iffy' install, they have a sure thing.

Phil

I went through the same thing last year. The installer said the only place he could put the dish was along the sidewalk. I said no way,and he packed up and left.He never even looked at other locations on my 1 acre lot.I called the local Radio Shack and they looked at my site,and found at least 6 better sites,including on my storage building,where the first guy said it wouldn't work.
When I called Dish for the new install I told them in no way would I allow the first installer on my property.They had the install company call me,and they made sure not to send the same guy.Later after the second guy installed my dish,they called back to tell me he had told them the first guy was no longer in their employ.The second guy told them how easy of an install mine was!I don't know if this was true or not,but they are due at my house thursday to install my wing dish.If the first installer shows up it will be bye bye dish!

I went through the same thing last year. The installer said the only place he could put the dish was along the sidewalk. I said no way,and he packed up and left.He never even looked at other locations on my 1 acre lot.I called the local Radio Shack and they looked at my site,and found at least 6 better sites,including on my storage building,where the first guy said it wouldn't work.
When I called Dish for the new install I told them in no way would I allow the first installer on my property.They had the install company call me,and they made sure not to send the same guy.Later after the second guy installed my dish,they called back to tell me he had told them the first guy was no longer in their employ.The second guy told them how easy of an install mine was!I don't know if this was true or not,but they are due at my house thursday to install my wing dish.If the first installer shows up it will be bye bye dish!

a good auto mechanic is so hard to find.....

My first dish install was scheduled and canceled on Saturday. There was an F1 race the following Sunday. I hopped in the car, went to Home Depot and bought a ladder. When I got up to the roof line it looked like a tree might obstruct LOS soon. Did a quick site survey and found an appropriate backyard location. Back to Home Depot. Bought a 5 gallon bucket, short section of galvonized fence post and bag of quick dry cement. As soon as I got home, I mixed cement in the 5 gallon bucket. Let it dry for about 15 minutes and then inserted the pole using a level for alignment. Went out back with a shovel and dug a hole the same size as the bucket. After running the wire, I lowered the bucket in to the hole, leveled and secured it. Installed the dish on the pole adjusting as best I could to the approximate satellite location. Wife was inside watching the signal strength meter on TV via the sat receiver. We communicated with walkie talkies to find the best signal. Word of caution here - very small movements produce dramatic changes. After about 15 minutes of tuning, I tightened everything down. Figured I could bury cable at a later date. The next morning I swear the picture was so good I could see Schumacher blink. So yes, you can self install, but it may take a while.

Hello.

Thanks for any advice!

Wrong direction, by approximately 90 degrees. The dish needs to be facing SW. That may explain why the installer was seeing a problem

I believe the angle he was talking about was elevation of 30 degrees, not azimuth.

30 degrees and 40 degreees azimuth are to the nne and ne, no Clarke Belt Sats there.

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'm the perfect moron to do the job! :) I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

I say go for it. It may work and it may not but what harm can it do. Finding a dish 500 is easy and cheap. I commend you for trying and finding out more how things work. The education can help you out later if you move or have sat problems as well. Too many people nowadays just bitch about things when they have no clue how they work or care to even find out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts