Installation Experience - So far happier than the 922!

mloebl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Guys showed up yesterday on time (actually a bit earlier than the www site expected.) Were very upfront this was their first Hopper / Joey installation so to be patient with them as they just had training (and they joked if you call it training as they didn't get a lot of details but a 10000 foot overview.)

One guy was the more senior guy so seemed to be giving advice to the junior guy so they were pretty methodical. Asked to see where all the wiring terminated in the basement and see the rooms. They pulled out the new receiver (looks 1/2 the size of the 922), and removed the 922. Powered it up... and then it got stuck on "Acquiring satellite 5 of 5" for 30mins, and never saw the wizard. They called their office as they didn't think this was normal; no one there knew. They called Dish Support, they also had no idea... Finally after about 45mins the receiver went to channel 101 on it's own, and after a quick chat with their office, they decided to do a factory reset. Now the installation wizard finally showed up and it went much smoother. Took a few reboots, and another 30mins with downloads, etc. During this time they activated both the Hopper and both Joeys (which were NOT connected yet.)

Once the receiver was up, they went to do the Joeys, one at a time. First Joey was stuck for about 45mins on the downloading updates screen. After waiting a bit, they pulled out the line testers and realized the second guy had accidentally grabbed the wrong line (they were labeled correctly ;)) Once that was fixed, after about 15-20mins first Joey came up, and then 2nd Joey went in without a hitch pretty quickly. It was pretty cool as no linking was needed thru the UI from what I could tell as they had been activated prior to them plugging them in; they just worked.

I really wanted a Sling adapter, but they didn't think it worked. I tried to convince them a few times that it was supposed to work, realized I wasn't getting anywhere and it wasn't worth the argument. I can wait a couple days to get it, so I let it go and ordered one online.

Before the left they went to neaten up the wiring in the basement, even redid the head on one of the existing cables from when the house was built that was flakey, so appreciated that. In total they were there 3 - 4 hours and pretty exhausted when they left :)

Took several hours to show up on DishOnline, as well as the Guide search. EHD worked great, and was watching programming and transferring without a problem. I also seem to be able to watch EHD programming from a Joey which I don't recall being able to do from TV2 on the 922. Overnight the icons seem to have downloaded as well for the recorded programming.

Things I like so far...
- Overall faster than the 922, from the boot up to the UI, feels snapier.
- Joeys work great, whether watching remote tuner or remote DVR programs
- PTAT... love this feature as usually during the week we had conflicts as we had at least 1 to 2 PT shows and then stuff off the other channels so now we have at least 1 if not 2 tuners
- When you turn the Joey on, it connects quickly (under a second) to the Hopper
- The MoCa signal level is GREAT for troubleshooting
- The switching of channels seems faster, I like how you hear the audio virtually instantly then about .5 - 1s later the video shows up

Things I don't like...
- No OTA yet :( Couple channels I get in HD like PBS, etc that I miss.
- Redoing my timers again... now the 922 remote DID connect to the hopper but myself nor the techs could remember how they sync back. Figures I found it after they left, but no longer had the remote. DISH - please let you do this
online as well!!!! You can easily sched from online, so why not allow remote backups and restores, not a huge leap from what they have now.
- Wish the Tech knew more about the Sling, sounds like still some training issues there.
- Ok this is petty, but the name Hopper/Joey is a bit silly to me... hehe

I had an issue with the 922 that it would constantly reboot overnight and get stuck unless the TV was on. Hoping to see how things go with the Hopper.

If you have a 922 now, this will feel like the 922, just a bit more polished and faster to me. The BB on demand also for those with 922s (from the "where is it thread" in the 922 group), it isn't worth it yet IMHO so don't feel you are missing much.

-Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)