Installation nightmare with D*/Mastec

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwd

Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
I am a new customer. I called D* on Monday, 7-14 to establish new service. The CSR asked me if an installation date of Friday, 7-18 (12-4) was ok. I agreed. I took vacation from work to be home for the installer. At about 1 pm, a lady from Mastec called and said that they had been overbooked and would need to re-schedule the appointment. I was not happy at wasting a day's vacation. Why didn't they call earlier in the week? She couldn't answer. She said that she would re-schedule for Monday, 7-21 (4 pm- 8 pm). She said that she would put me on standby for Saturday (7-19) or Sunday (7-20), and that a manager would call me within the hour. The manager never called. On Monday morning (7-21), I called D*, who then called Mastec to verify that they were actually going to keep this appointment. The CSR said that she talked to the installer and that he would absolutely be there between 4 pm and 8 pm. I left work early to be home by 4 pm. I waited until 8 pm with no call from D* or Mastec. I called D* again, who again called Mastec. This time Mastec said that they don't schedule new installs from 4-8. New installs must be either 8-12 or 12-4. Mastec had no idea why they didn't contact me in advance. (Keep in mind it was Mastec who re-scheduled the first appointment to this 4-8 timeframe). Mastec now said that the earliest they can schedule my 3rd appointment is July 31 -- 10 days from now. They also promised to have a supervisor call me tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Is this type of treatment typical?

It's hard for me to believe that D* can keep any customers with this type of customer service.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get some action from D*/Mastec?

Typical..for Mastec....yup.
The bright side is that once the system is up and running it is almost bullet proof.
The suggestion would be go around Mastec. Post your city & state with zip. Someone on here who covers your area may be able to help. The list of experienced installers who will work for HSPs is short.

Joe

I know it doesn't solve the problem or help much... but did DTV offer you $100 credit for each missed appoitment?

No offer of $100 for a missed appointment. Do you think that's possible or likely?

Possible to get a credit - call DirecTV, not Mastec. Ask for installation support. They will be resonable financially and try to get a better date if possible.

Possible to get a credit - call DirecTV, not Mastec. Ask for installation support. They will be resonable financially and try to get a better date if possible.

Thanks for the advice. I talked to installation support. They said they would credit my account for the 2 missed appointments, but that I would have to call back after installation is complete (whenever that is). They could not move up the service date.

I talked to Mastec again. As before, they are completely unhelpful and could really care less whether or not the installation ever gets done.

I am a new customer. I called D* on Monday, 7-14 to establish new service. The CSR asked me if an installation date of Friday, 7-18 (12-4) was ok. I agreed. I took vacation from work to be home for the installer. At about 1 pm, a lady from Mastec called and said that they had been overbooked and would need to re-schedule the appointment. I was not happy at wasting a day's vacation. Why didn't they call earlier in the week? She couldn't answer. She said that she would re-schedule for Monday, 7-21 (4 pm- 8 pm). She said that she would put me on standby for Saturday (7-19) or Sunday (7-20), and that a manager would call me within the hour. The manager never called. On Monday morning (7-21), I called D*, who then called Mastec to verify that they were actually going to keep this appointment. The CSR said that she talked to the installer and that he would absolutely be there between 4 pm and 8 pm. I left work early to be home by 4 pm. I waited until 8 pm with no call from D* or Mastec. I called D* again, who again called Mastec. This time Mastec said that they don't schedule new installs from 4-8. New installs must be either 8-12 or 12-4. Mastec had no idea why they didn't contact me in advance. (Keep in mind it was Mastec who re-scheduled the first appointment to this 4-8 timeframe). Mastec now said that the earliest they can schedule my 3rd appointment is July 31 -- 10 days from now. They also promised to have a supervisor call me tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Is this type of treatment typical?

It's hard for me to believe that D* can keep any customers with this type of customer service.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get some action from D*/Mastec?

Same sort of thing happened to me. I had two missed installation appointments before anyone ever showed up. The first two installations were Ironwood (missed) and the third was DirectSat. The people that came from DirectSat were a bit shady (graffitied white van with a tiny DirecTV sticker on it) but seemed to install fine. I did get a missed appointment credit ($100) but it REALLY sucked because NOONE called to let me know they weren't coming. So I ended up having two 8am-12pm appointments with no call. And I had to wait around till 5pm since the installers customer service said they would show up.

Once the DirecTV was installed I tried to record something (HR21) and notice that while I was recording I couldn't switch to a different channel. So I went back into the system settings and noticed that the second tuner had failed. So, I had to call DirectSat and get someone out to replace my box. They came out the next day and everything has been fine since.

In my opinion, DirecTV is great as a TV viewing experience. Even their customer service is great BUT Installation SUCKS (and DirecTV has no real control over them since it's sub-contracted out). If you can get past the installation, you'll enjoy it.

Mastecs been dealing with alot of internal problems with one or two turning into large lawsuits. Now they are dealing with the loss of a contract with bellsouth / att since the telco giant is only peddling dish network service. I havent heard really anything good about the company but they did my install earlier this year and except for one thing it was spot on.

To answer some of the OP's other question IMHO:

Q: Why the over-books? (generalized question)
A: They may be having a snowball type effect; not really over-booked but missed one or two earlier in the week and everyone is slowing getting pushed back.

Q: Why doesn't DirecTV call me about over-books or missing appts?
A: Because they do not own or run the install companies and do not know until someone contacts them to tell them; this includes you; even though the contractor should be.

Q: Why can't they call me sooner?
A: Likely thinking they can catch up and don't want to miss any chance at work. Don't want to out themselves.

These are not excuses, but just insight hopefully. The issues (IMHO0 lie on the contract companies for the most part. DirecTV needs to clean out the trash. There are varying opinions on how to do that; most people say throw money at it; but I thinking anyone that applies for and accepts a job better well have some pride to do a go job every time and on-time. OR QUIT!

To answer some of the OP's other question IMHO:

Q: Why the over-books? (generalized question)
A: They may be having a snowball type effect; not really over-booked but missed one or two earlier in the week and everyone is slowing getting pushed back.

Q: Why doesn't DirecTV call me about over-books or missing appts?
A: Because they do not own or run the install companies and do not know until someone contacts them to tell them; this includes you; even though the contractor should be.

Q: Why can't they call me sooner?
A: Likely thinking they can catch up and don't want to miss any chance at work. Don't want to out themselves.

These are not excuses, but just insight hopefully. The issues (IMHO0 lie on the contract companies for the most part. DirecTV needs to clean out the trash. There are varying opinions on how to do that; most people say throw money at it; but I thinking anyone that applies for and accepts a job better well have some pride to do a go job every time and on-time. OR QUIT!

I agree with you on all of them but trust me when I tell you plays a big part in it. They (DirecTv and my local CSR) called me on about a activity scheduled to me for a day that I was already to be off. It would have been a No-call No show because D* wanted to fit a job in and I didn't any jobs scheduled for me. They called and I laughed at them. Sorry no can do, the sub has to wait.

The fact you said NO was the key I think and basically you di the truthful thing. I wonder how many say sure with no intentions of trying until the next day; starting that snowball?

They seem to need more honest & upfront people like you with common sense.

I know it happens all the time.
The jobs was a few blocks from my house but I still was like nope. My sprained knee told me not to. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts