Installation on Friday - New Customer - 922 and ? - CONFUSED

hjnpugs

Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Sturbridge, MA
Hi Guys,

First of all, thank you for all of the incredible information that's been provided on this message board. I've been scouring it for months trying to figure out whether to wait for DirecTv to come out with their newest Tivo box or to give up Tivo and go with the VIP922.

Being I like the programming and deal better on Dish - I called right away this morning and signed up once the 922 was available.

So I was offered the 922 at a reduced cost of $200 as a new customer and I'm very happy with that. The problem is, the customer service representative didn't know much about the technology and what she did think she knew.. confused the hell out of me. So here is a recap of my installation order and I'm pretty confused as to whether it will provide what I was hoping (which may have been too much!):

I have 3 HD TVs.

TV1 - VIP 922
TV2 - DuoDVR 722
TV3 - Will have a remote that will navigate and play shows from TV2.

Now, I told her that I thought that with the 922 that I could record and then view any show in any other room in the house with a Multi-Room Extender. She said yes, this will be included in your install and your installer will know this. I asked if there was an additional fee for these extenders and she said no. I told her it's listed on the Dish site as a "companion product" and asked her if she was certain that it would be included during install for TV2 and TV3 and she insisted it was. Thing is, I am not confident that she is correct.

Here was my final question to her and her answer:

So you are saying, that I can record and view shows on TV1 and view them on TV1, TV2 and TV3 and I can record and view shows on TV2 and view them on TV2 and TV3? She says: Yes.

I just don't understand why the setup wouldn't just be the 922 on TV1 and 211's on TV2 and TV3 to obtain the same functionality. It just seems confusing and maybe a possible bonus, as I'll have another DVR to store stuff - but considering the 922 HD is huge, I don't think I'll need the space. Also, do I thought that using the 722 doesn't allow me to view HD on the 2nd TV it's utilized for, but will the 922 override that.

Gosh, I'm so confused. :(

I'm not technical like you guys and I could really use some help here if you have the time to take on my confusion.

I guess ultimately, what I'd like to know is:

1. Is the current installation setup the way to go?
2. If not, should I call and change it and if so, to what?
3. Can I change it on-site with the installer or do I have to call and change it beforehand?
4. Am I trying to accomplish a setup that is unattainable? ie. being able to record in one room and watch it in all the others?

I'll leave this here as I've already confused myself in typing it. Haha.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Heather

No there is no whole house viewing. When the External HD feature on the 922 is fully working you will be able to watch recording anywhere in your house by moving the external hard drive.

Bummer... then what is the purpose of this:

HDTV Multi-Room Extender

grfx_10.jpg

• Enhances your ability for multi-room HD content viewing.
  • Companion product that delivers HD video from the ViP 922 or a DVR with the TV Every where Adapter to another HD TV in the home.
  • Hidden installation behind your TV for a clean wall-mounted install.
  • Multi-room View: Record a show in one room and watch it in another, all with just one receiver.

Bummer... then what is the purpose of this:

HDTV Multi-Room Extender

grfx_10.jpg

• Enhances your ability for multi-room HD content viewing.
  • Companion product that delivers HD video from the ViP 922 or a DVR with the TV Every where Adapter to another HD TV in the home.
  • Hidden installation behind your TV for a clean wall-mounted install.
  • Multi-room View: Record a show in one room and watch it in another, all with just one receiver.

To watch HD content off of the 922. If it is hooked up by coax from the tv2 out of the 922 to a bedroom tv into that box then that bedroom tv will be able to get a HD picture and what is on the Hard drive of the 922. same way is the 722 hooked up but the 722 will require a box on the tv 2 out then to the coax then into this box..

If you want a tv 3 like say a masterbed room you will need another one of these in that room as well. PLUS another coax cable from a splitter into this masterbed room tv and this box. Now the coax from the 922 TV2 out would have to go into a splitter and split off into 2 coax cables 1 to the bedroom and 1 to the masterbed room. Same for the 722 as above.

You can not stopp the show or pause it run up to another room thats hooked up to the 722 to watch the paused show on the 922, Only way to watch it is from transfering the show to a external hard drive and moving it from the 722 to the 922. This box has ot be in each room to be able to see HD. you wont need this box if you can live with SD quality picture.

SO multi room view for dish is off 1 box either 922 or 722. Where they confuse people is make it sound like you can stop or pause a show on a 722 run up to the bedroom where a 922 is and watch the show.

AM I right SCOTT?

Last edited:
TV1 is in my office/family room where I spend most of my time.

TV2 is in my bedroom and a stellar HD TV, so I'd want HD.

TV3 is a projection TV with HD, but it's in the family room in the basement and I rarely watch TV down there, so I'm fine with SD.

I just want to make sure the 922/722 setup is what I should be going with and not a 922/211/211 with the extenders on each 211.

It's all very confusing, I still for the life of me - can't figure out how the 722 works on two TVs with one receiver in one room that's completely far away from the other... :(

To watch HD content off of the 922. If it is hooked up by coax from the tv2 out of the 922 to a bedroom tv into that box then that bedroom tv will be able to get a HD picture and what is on the Hard drive of the 922.

If you want a tv 3 like say a masterbed room you will need another one of these in that room as well. PLUS another coax cable from a splitter into this masterbed room tv and this box. Now the coax from the 922 TV2 out would have to go into a splitter and split off into 2 coax cables 1 to the bedroom and 1 to the masterbed room.

You can not stopp the show or pause it run up to another room thats hooked up to the 722 to watch the paused show on the 922, Only way to watch it is from transfering the show to a external hard drive and moving it from the 722 to the 922. Now as I mentioned the 922 off of tv2 is the same way the 722 can be done.

this box has ot be in each room to be able to see HD. you wont need this box if you can live with SD quality picture.

AM I right SCOTT?

TV1 is in my office/family room where I spend most of my time.

TV2 is in my bedroom and a stellar HD TV, so I'd want HD.

TV3 is a projection TV with HD, but it's in the family room in the basement and I rarely watch TV down there, so I'm fine with SD.

I just want to make sure the 922/722 setup is what I should be going with and not a 922/211/211 with the extenders on each 211.

It's all very confusing, I still for the life of me - can't figure out how the 722 works on two TVs with one receiver in one room that's completely far away from the other... :(

On the 722 there is a coax male that says TV 2 out, they hook that to a cable that goes then to ur tv in another room on the back of your tv is old school where you hook in a coaxial cable or antenna you put the tv on channel 74 now you have the signal comming from the 722 box to that TV. u change channels and see everything from inside ur 722.

So now ur tv in room1 is hooked up to a HDMI cable and u have HD you pause it. Now you go to tv in room 2 you turn on the tv makes sure it is on 74 an the dish remote will control the box in the other room but this room is not HD it is SD. now this tv is on Tuner 2 tv in room1 is on tuner 1 if it is in dual mode. if it is in single mode then then what u see in tv 1 u will see on tv 2. This is where it gets tricky dish does not tell people that if u want to pause the tv and go to another room and resume it u have to be in single mode. Its alittle tricky in dual mode to pause and go finish in another room. In dual mode you hit stop and then find ur program and hit resume. On live tv it can not be done in dual mode but can be done in single mode.

Last edited:
To watch HD content off of the 922. If it is hooked up by coax from the tv2 out of the 922 to a bedroom tv into that box then that bedroom tv will be able to get a HD picture and what is on the Hard drive of the 922. same way is the 722 hooked up but the 722 will require a box on the tv 2 out then to the coax then into this box..

If you want a tv 3 like say a masterbed room you will need another one of these in that room as well. PLUS another coax cable from a splitter into this masterbed room tv and this box. Now the coax from the 922 TV2 out would have to go into a splitter and split off into 2 coax cables 1 to the bedroom and 1 to the masterbed room. Same for the 722 as above.

You can not stopp the show or pause it run up to another room thats hooked up to the 722 to watch the paused show on the 922, Only way to watch it is from transfering the show to a external hard drive and moving it from the 722 to the 922. This box has ot be in each room to be able to see HD. you wont need this box if you can live with SD quality picture.

SO multi room view for dish is off 1 box either 922 or 722. Where they confuse people is make it sound like you can stop or pause a show on a 722 run up to the bedroom where a 922 is and watch the show.

AM I right SCOTT?

I'm not Scott, but...This is not correct. The 922 Coax will only mirror what is being shown on the TV1 output. And the Coax output is not in HD it is only SD.

The multi-room sling receiver will work over ethernet. You can place a device like this at each TV that you want to view TV from the 922. Of course you will need ethernet at each location that one of these devices is installed. This can be viewed in HD. The problem is right now this device is not available yet.

Hope this clears things up.

Hello,

This is my first post, been reading for years.
Let me also say thanks for all the great info.
Sorry if this is covered somewhere, I really have tried to find the answer here, but I'm still confused.
The EHD capability on the 922 is not functional yet correct? I was told by a CSR (yes I know not to ask them) that it was.
If it's not any idea when it will be.
Thanks again for all the info.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Right now the EHD will allow you to transfer programs already on the drive TO the 922 (for instance to take them from another E* receiver), but it will not allow you to transfer programs to the external drive or to view directly from the external drive. Hopefully this will be addressed soon.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.
I have an install this afternoon, is it safer to leave the EHD disconnected until all the features are working (to avoid corrupting or losing EHD content).
Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts