Installation Problem w/VIP722 DVR

kkangpae71

Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I just had local dishnetwork install VIP722 DVR with the Top 100 Plus programming & HD. Upon installation, They are having trouble with Sat 129 to show up on the receiver. When they do the check switch, it shows as conn but no signal. When they check the signal before they combine, it shows almost 93% signal strength.

Tech installed another dish to point to 148 and they are able to see the channels from 148 along with 110 and 119. This tells me that the wiring is done correctly. When they switch the 148 connection to 129, receiver is not able to pick up the signal.

They are using dual dish 500 for 110 & 119. and single lnbf mounted on dish 500 for 129. I'm about ready to go back to cable and don't want to deal with this any longer.

Please help!!!!!! Thank you

Obvious Man

I just had local dishnetwork install VIP722 DVR with the Top 100 Plus programming & HD. Upon installation, They are having trouble with Sat 129 to show up on the receiver. When they do the check switch, it shows as conn but no signal. When they check the signal before they combine, it shows almost 93% signal strength.

Tech installed another dish to point to 148 and they are able to see the channels from 148 along with 110 and 119. This tells me that the wiring is done correctly. When they switch the 148 connection to 129, receiver is not able to pick up the signal.

They are using dual dish 500 for 110 & 119. and single lnbf mounted on dish 500 for 129. I'm about ready to go back to cable and don't want to deal with this any longer.

Please help!!!!!! Thank you

Just as the comic strip character Obvious Man goes to the Rescue Sat guys is here to help. The switch that combines the LNB's has a bad port 3 on it. So they need to bring out another DPP44 and put it in the system.

Hi whatchel1, thanks for the reply. They tried 3 different switches already. Do they need to use different antenna for HD channels? They are currently using dish 500 dish with single Lnbf for 129 but it also picks up 119. Maybe signal overlap on 119? I'm not so sure. Any suggestions will help.
Thanks

Hi whatchel1, thanks for the reply. They tried 3 different switches already. Do they need to use different antenna for HD channels? They are currently using dish 500 dish with single Lnbf for 129 but it also picks up 119. Maybe signal overlap on 119? I'm not so sure. Any suggestions will help.
Thanks

is it a single lnb, or a twin lnb... if it is a single, it can only pick up one satellite location at a time, it they are using a twin... that could be causing a problem

It has a single LNBF on it. But when the installer tested the signal with his meter, it shows that I'm getting over 90 on 129. But is also picks up 119. When I do a check switch it show 119 nothing else. As I mentioned, installer set up another dish to point to 148, when I connect this to the receiver through rest of the wiring which has dual lnbf (pointing to 110, 119), ot works fine. But when I connect 129 dish instead of 148, I'm only seeing 119 on the check switch. This is getting to be more than I can handle.

Please help!!!!!

Webbydude, I'm going to have them check the alignment again. Let me get this straight, if I have single lnbf, I should only be picking up the signal from 129, assuming I have the alignment correct, right? currently I'm picking up 129 and 119 from single lnbf. I know because the tech showed me his sat finder/strength meter. If so, I will need to re-align the dish to pick up only 129 only right?

Thanks

Now that all depends on what type of switch/LNB configuration you have going on. Unless I misread things, you have a total of 3 dishes, yes? And you're getting WHAT satellites currently...119 and 129 only? No 148 or 110?

Hi Webbydude,

Ok, I have total of 2 dishes. 1 Dish500, Dual LNB for 110 &119, 1 Dish500 with single LNB for 129, 1 Dish500 with single LNB for 148 for testing purposes only. When ever I have dual LNB unit connected with single LNB for 148, I get all three shows up in check switch and working fine, but when I disconnect the one for 148 and connect 129, exactly the same way, and do the switch check, I get conn under satellite, X on trans, switch is DPP Twin w/Separator, I also tried this with 3 different DP34 switches. Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is that when the tech connected his sat meter, I get both the 129 and 119 through single LNB. Maybe it is not aligned correctly???

First of all, what you're referring to as a "dual" is actually a DPP Twin (judging by your checkswitch results), and the LNB on the D500 that you have for the 129 is, more than likely, a dual (looks almost the same as a single, but has two ports versus the one). Sounds to me like your installer connected the DPP Twin into the DP34 switch. That could be part of the problem. DPP lnbs are not compatible with DP switches.

Sounds to me like the second dish is actually using a DP twin LNB, aligned at 119/129. I see that ALL THE FREAKING time on retailer installs around here, except the second twin is aimed at the 148 (for some Montana locals). The reason a 148 would work fine is there is no other satellite to interfere like the 119 can with the 129.

Kkang, is the LNB on your second dish this:
dp-dual.JPG

or this?
dp-twin.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)