Installation "Problem"

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
I had Dish come out to install a second receiver. The first receiver is in my basement and I was looking to add a second receiver 12 feet above on the 1st floor. At first glance, Dish installers said they would not touch it because it involved snaking wires and from their vantage point, they do not see how it could be done. They advised me on dropping a line from the attic to the basement and even went into the attic to check on if it could be done. It actually could be, but again, they will not snake the wires. I thanked them for their thinking of solutions and even looking into it . . . nice guys, very professional.

Afterward, I contacted an electrician and he wanted $600 for the job . . . I find that ridiculous to snake a wire down 3 floors in an interior wall which has no insulation or blockage of any kind . . . am I crazy thinking that it is ridiculous to charge that much ???

As of now, I do not have a second receiver and my feeble brain is thinking of getting some fishing line, a sinker and going fishing this weeked through the wall . . . wish me luck!

You might try calling the company that the installers represented and see if they won't give you an estimate. They can be much more creative when they aren't working for DISH Network.

It it's an interior wall then the obstacles, like insulation, should be less. If you have a firebreak in the wall, then you're screwed as far is it being easy, but no job is impossible. Before you start the job, go to an electrical supply store or even a DIY place like Lowes or HD to look at the tools available for fishing walls. You might want to buy some rods or long drill bits even for a 1-time job, or you might get some ideas just from looking. If you can do something simple like drop a fishing line, tie a steel nut or washer on one end and use a probe with a magnet on it to find the end of the line from the other locaton. When you do pull wires, make it at least 2x RG-6 coax plus a cat. 5 or 6 data cable for future expansion. What else might you need in the future? Makes sense to just pull it once even if the unused wire costs more up front "just in case"...

bhelms . . . thanks for the suggestions

Here is what I can tell so far: on the first floor in the wall behind the receptacle, the wall is empty. On the floor, inside the wall, there is a a wood brace (basic framing). I was thinking of drilling a small hole through that and hopefully that comes out in basement and done, no more problems.

why not just run the wire alone the outside of the house? if it is just one wire normally it can be fastened to the gutter and can dissapear quite easily

Wall fishing is more intimidating than challenging. I firmly believe any wall fish can be done. I've even done 2nd floor to basement fishes threw an insulated wall. Really not that hard. It's mostly how creative can you be when solving the problem. For instance I installed two outlets instead of one. That way the hole I made on the first floor was covered and could actually be used for something, usually phone. Don't be afraid to try. I balked for a long time at it until I had someone good show me how to do it. I've done about 100 since then. Just keep in mind how a house is built, also I usually drill basement up into the first floor just because you can avoid using the flex bit.

Good Luck!

You can buy (or rent) fish tape from Home Depot or Lowes. I used it to pull electrical wire from one end of my house to another (although I was pulling through conduit so it was easier than going through two floors). It's probably a two man (or woman) job so one person can catch the end of the fish tape as the other pushes it through the wall.

I have had some luck in the past running wire down along side the vent stack. In my case, it was a clear shot from the basement near the washing machine discharge straight up to the roof 2 stories above.

Good luck

easy.....

ok. have them come back out and install the new reciever....somewhere thats a snap for them to get to, and within about 60 feet of the location of the new tv. (put your tv in that location till they leave). then leave the new reciever where its installed, and put the new tv wherever you like. Now go to radio shack and get a wireless transmit send/recieve unit. hook it into the rca plugs on the back of the reciver and also on the back of the tv. plug everything in. TA DA!!!!!no wires. ive done this many times. the more expensive the transmiter the more reliable the picture (2.4Ghz works nice). also be sure you get a reciever model equiped with a uhf remote(322 on the tv2 side)....so it will work from your tv set while your reciever is elsewhere. this will cost around $100.00 :Dbtw...this fix wont fly for HD.goodluck

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)