Installation related questions...

fletcher969

Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi all...

Have tried searching for the information requested below, and except for some 'dated' responses, I cannot find anything pertinent.

First, this is in regards a new (basic) installation my sister ordered recently (actually, she paid the installer $75 if that matters), and geographically it's not possible for me to look at what she has described, and she's not available today for me to gather more information than I already have. I don't know what plan she's signed up for, and I don't know what equipment she has, but my questions are general in nature, and shouldn't matter. Regardless, she's communicated to me she's upstet with the way her installation is going, and I thought I'd toss a few questions in the air to see if there might not be something I can do to help her out if just to calm her down with some pertinent information. As it is, she's ready to drop DN's service, and she hasn't even received a signal yet.

Anyway, my sister called the DN 800 number to apply for service. However it transpired, she was referred to another company I believe is a private/regional RSP (who's located here in the Chicago area), who then contracted an installer in her area (she's about 5 hours south of the RSP). My sister was working when the tech showed, so her 21 year old son was there instead. Tech did the install (ground post w/cable run), setup the inside equipment, etc. He couldn't get a signal, and because he had no 'extra' receivers with him, he left with her receiver after making an assumption/determination it was faulty. He didn't mention if he was going to return it to DN on her bahalf, or if he was even going to return when her new unit was delievered via UPS a few days later, but he left with it nevertheless.

Questions:

1. Should the installer have left with the receiver DN delivered to my sister? I may be wrong, but it seems to me she'll ultimately be the only one responsible for returning it back to DN given they devlievered it to her. The tech made no mention if he would return it himself, and my sister hasn't been able to contact him to clarify his intentions.

2. With a ground post setup (basic installation including the $75 installation fee), should the installer bury the cable? I've seen some dated responses which indicate 50' slit trench is included with a basic (free) installation, but I've not seen more recent posts which indicate what is 'currently' included with a basic installation except that DN's site indicates 'cable installation' is included, and I don't know personally if $75 is part of the 'basic' deal or not. In any event, I can't imagine 'cable installation' means laying cable over the ground (that's like running speaker wire over the floors of a room, and calling it installed). In any event, my sister claims a DN installer/tech in her area told her the installer should bury the cable since it's not longer than the 120' of cable DN had delivered to her.

3. Why didn't DN send a DN installer/tech if they are in her area, and why again, if they are in her area, would they pass her along to an RSP 5 hours to the north of her? As it is, the company she has to deal with is 5 hours away, and the installer they sent is 2 hours away. Never mind her son said the installer seemed incompetent during the installation, won't bury the cable, and my sister alleges to have discovered he already has a complaint against him after only a few installations (again, all alleged by my sister). On the flip side, there is at least one DN installer/tech within minutes of her, is likely more experienced with DN installations and equipment, and has indicated he would bury the cable for her as part of the basic installation if he were doing the installation.

Thanks for any advice and or information.

If she isnlt recontacted by the installer or his company, call 1-800-DISH and talk to them. If that doesn't get anywhere, contact the Executive office at CEO at echostar dot com. This is not typical behavior. I hope the son didn't sign off on any paperwork. If he didn't sign any papers, she isn't responsible for anything yet. I have no idea why E* passes off work to regional service companies located so far away. I once was scheduled for a Saturday service call from a tech on the other side of the state, at least 2 hours away. After waiting around all day, I got a call from the tech saying he was still 2 hours away and would not be coming. I called E* customer service and they had a local tech at my place at 7:30 on Monday morning. The problem is that E* only has a list of the RSCs for each area and schedules with them. The RSC then schedules watever installer is available, in this case one that doesn't live in the area. It often stinks because RSCs often cover large areas. And the guy should trench the cable. Maybe he's planning to come back. Usually one doesn't trench the cable until one knows the set up is working correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts