vip 612 dvr receiver with dish 500 - what else?

mackerquack

Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
port huron
I currently live outside of port huron, mi and have the vip 612 receiver and an old dish 500....don't get all the channels...what should i do? get a dish 1000.4 or just another single lnb to pick up 129? any help would be great...thx

Last edited:
I currently live outside of port huron, mi and have the vip 612 receiver and an old dish 500....don't get all the channels...what should i do? get a dish 1000.4 or just another single lnb to pick up 129? any help would be great...thx
You need a 1000.2 .
a 1000.4 won't pick up 110,119,or 129
1000.4 is for Eastern Arc customers.

Unless your HD local are on the 61.5.

You have to get a 1000.2 or a wing dish pointed at the 129.
If your Locals are on the 61.5 Then you can use a 1000.4 or a wing dish pointed at the 61.5

ok getting there..thx alot!

Not sure where i get my locals at (61.5)...I am getting the detroit stations...so I should probably just add a wing dish....now what kind of a switch will i need and i have the 612 so do i need two cables going into the back....looks like i have a splitter that brings two cables into the receiver...will that work

sorry, i am new at this and have no idea what i am doing...

Looks like you need to use the 61.5.
I would keep the Dish 500 you currently have,

But you must have a Dish Pro Plus LNB,
Or a DDP33 with a Dish Pro LNB (Twin or Quad) in order to have a single wire operation on your DVR and to add a 3rd orbital location like the 61.5..
The Splitter is really a Seperator. That can only be used if you have a DISH PRO PLUS LNB or DPP33 Or DPP44 Multi switch.
But you can also use a 1000.4 if that seems the cheaper route. Around $120.
What does you Dish 500 have now on it?

running just a standard receiver

I am currently using the dish 500 for my standard receiver (311)....I want to use the vip612....coming from my dish i have dual lnb's that give me 110 and 119....my switch is sw21...now if i got another dish would i need a triple switch to bring three feeds into one?

You must have a Legacy setup.
You must get a Dish Pro Plus LNB, and drop that SW21 all together.
This is a Close up picture of a DPP
DISH Network Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF (DPP Twin LNB) ES1670 | DPP Twin LNB (121670) [DISH Network] | 121610 DISH PRO TWIN LNB DISH TWIN DISH 500 TWIN ES1670 121670 Dish 500 Dish500 kit500 kit-500 dish-500 dish 500 twin twin-500 ES0467 ES 0467 Dish Pro

Your best bet is just get a 1000.4 becuase you need to many parts to upgrade your current system, Unless you can get them off Ebay for Cheap.
You need the following to upgrade your system:
1 Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB
1 dish 500 with a single Dish Pro LNB( Not Pro PLUS) for your wing dish.

Or a 1000.4 Satellite Dish.

Both of these setups are single wire and you run the wire directly from your dish to your seperator right into receiver.
Seperator needs to be located directly behind the receiver with (2) 4-6 inch feeds going into your receiver.

Last edited:
Or a 1000.4 Satellite Dish.
Not with a 311 still in the mix! Take Hemi's list, slightly modified by yours truly:

1. Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB for replacement of current LNB on main dish.
  2. Dish 300 or 500 with a single Dish Pro LNB for wing dish.
  3. Short RG6 coax to go between wing dish and main dish.
Nothing expensive here, particularly if you do it yourself.

still confused of couse

so if i don't upgrade to the 1000.4...i need the Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB (do i need a switch for this) how many feeds come off this....how do i run the single dish pro to the dish pro plus twin...where do i attach it

OR

get the 1000.4

what is easier....at this point i will do anything regardless of cost...

thx

The 1000.4 is only acceptable for mpeg-4 receivers. The 311 is a standard definition mpeg-2 receiver. So if you wish to keep the 311, or any other Dish receiver incapable of mpeg-4 decoding, then forget about the 1000.4.

The DishPro Plus Twin LNB has two outputs and one input. So you cable up your wing dish LNB to the twin's input. It has a built-in DishPro Plus switch capable of feeding two dual-tuner receivers such as the 612, or a 612 and a 311.

But if you're willing to do anything regardless of cost, just call up an installer and have him do whatever it takes. He can't give you a 1000.4, though, unless you never want to plug in that 311. He can easily swap the legacy twin for a DishPro Plus twin, install and align a wing dish for 61.5, remove that old SW21, and get your 612 going.

The 612 also has an ATSC (digital) tuner capable of receiving your local stations for free. You might have your installer also add a rooftop broadcast TV antenna as well. That too can be combined into a single cable to the 612, but that's a little bit confusing so an installer might be best.

don't need to ditch the actual dish?

so i am good with the actual 500 antenna...i just need to get the dish pro plus dual lnb...
also, i am in a location where no installer will come so will i be able to do this on my own...
should i get a sat finder?

Also, if i ever want more than two receivers am i stuck with this setup?

thx...you guys have been great.

Yes, you can do this yourself. Since your Dish 500 is already aligned, you can carefully remove the legacy twin and install the DishPro Plus LNB, and it will still be aligned. I did this swap successfully with a DishPro (not Plus) twin.

Sat finder might be very helpful. Also a compass! You can forgo the sat finder if you use the Point Dish screen on one of those receivers to provide you with az el for the wing dish and a signal strength meter for peaking it. This is going to be somewhat problematic, due to the presence of the internal switch in the DishPro Plus twin. Best temporarily to direct-connect one receiver to the wing dish while adjusting it. Then cable it up to the twin's input, connect the receivers to the outputs, run a Check Switch on both, and you should see all three sats on both receivers.

Also, if i ever want more than two receivers am i stuck with this setup?
Missed that question.

You will need an external switch to go above 2 receivers with the setup above. If you want to do that, subtract from your list of parts the DishPro Plus twin, and substitute the DishPro (not Plus) twin. Some people say the Plus version will work when feeding switches; while others say that it won't or it's simply not best practice. Since the Plus version is more expensive than the non-Plus, you might as well go with that to begin with.

Then add a switch, most probably a DPP33 (for 3 receivers) or DPP44 (for 4 receivers), or some combination of switches which are cascadable. (The DPP33 can only come at the end of a string of switches.) In all cases, you run 3 cables from the LNBs direct to the switch inputs, and then run cables from the outputs direct to your receivers.

Hey, Man, putting you email address in a thread like this is asking for spambots to dump on you.

Use a Private Message instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)