Installed 1 Hopper 2 Joeys Sunday - Swapping A Joey For 2nd Hopper Thursday - Questions

EasyEEE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Mobile, AL
Forum and satellite newb. it's been forever since I owned a satellite. Been cable since 1999. Had Dish before that for a short time.

I attempted to read, search, etc.. so many topics on 2nd Hopper, but usually covering internal hook ups.

Anyway, I had 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys installed Sunday. I decided that wasn't the ideal set up for us, and just ordered a 2nd Hopper ($200 for the Hopper, $15 install - didn't seem THAT bad... though, prefer to have paid $100 :\ - wonder what it would have been had a asked for a 2nd one during initial ordering... sigh )

I just want to make sure before they come that it will work as I am hoping it will.

Back in 1999, the amount of tuners was limited to the dish itself.. ie the dish could only accept two incoming signals back then, and as a result, that was that.. maybe it could bring in 4.. can't remember.

How I want this to work is..

#1 Hopper records PTAT and has 2 available tuners during that time for my wife to record whatever else. We want to be separate because it's seems so easy to disrupt the viewing of someone else.

#2 Hopper is for me and my son's Joey. Probably won't record a bunch, but we will. We just want to be separate.

Is this possible - with 1 dish mounted on the roof - to essentially watch either A) Record 6 non-PTAT channgels at once - 3 on #1 and 3 on #2, and/or record PTAT on both #1 and #2, leaving 2 tuners on each Hopper for watching something else?

I like the idea of 2 Hoppers - just don't want to be limited by what the dish can bring in. I assume it will be ok, given that a lot of folks on here got it working - just didn't know if people had multiple dishes or not..

Thanks.

Last edited:
Anyway, I had 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys installed Sunday. I decided that wasn't the ideal set up for us, and just ordered a 2nd Hopper ($200 for the Hopper, $15 install - didn't seem THAT bad... though, prefer to have paid $100 :\ - wonder what it would have been had a asked for a 2nd one during initial ordering... sigh )
new customers pay $200 for the second hopper since they get the first hopper free when signing up for Top 200 or above. So, you're really only paying $15 more for the extra tech visit.

As to the other stuff. Yes, you could enable PTAT on both hoppers if you wanted and have two other tuners free on each one to watch/record something else during primetime hours. If you had PTAT disabled on both, then three tuners would be free on each one.

Short answer is yes. There will be full functionality on both hoppers with the single dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)