Installed said it's a no go!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghorn56710

Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Hudson County, New Jersey
Installer came today and the only way to install the dish would be to place it on a pole on my balcony. I already knew this, but the installer recommended against the pole installation. :(

I live in a condo development and I can't attach the dish to the roof or exterior walls of the building. The installer said that the dish is really heavy (60lbs) and that the wind would cause the dish/pole to move or vibrate and would ultimately lead to less than optimal reception. He said he has dealt with other customers in the area with pole installation and there are always complaints.

I'm bummed, but he's probably correct. I can't stand time warner cable but I don't want to end up with worst reception. Oh well....guess i'm stuck with cable. Maybe FIOS is an option.......:rolleyes:

Why roll your eyes at FIOS? It is a superior option anyway and we have plenty of apt complexes here with FIOS.

Why roll your eyes at FIOS? It is a superior option anyway and we have plenty of apt complexes here with FIOS.

Ditto vurbano. We moved from BadNews two years ago and I had FIOS. I loved it. D* is the only other option........but both are great to have. Internet service was superior to ANYTHING else out there.

Installer came today and the only way to install the dish would be to place it on a pole on my balcony. I already knew this, but the installer recommended against the pole installation. :(

I live in a condo development and I can't attach the dish to the roof or exterior walls of the building. The installer said that the dish is really heavy (60lbs) and that the wind would cause the dish/pole to move or vibrate and would ultimately lead to less than optimal reception. He said he has dealt with other customers in the area with pole installation and there are always complaints.

I'm bummed, but he's probably correct. I can't stand time warner cable but I don't want to end up with worst reception. Oh well....guess i'm stuck with cable. Maybe FIOS is an option.......:rolleyes:

The guy didn't want to do the job.
I would call back and reschedule ....
The dish is heavier than the others (Slimline) but is NO WAY 60lbs.
I think it is listed as 32 actually, correction, it's only 25 lbs.

Many people have been in your shoes and used a pole mount on a balcony.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...C-HD-Programming-(AU9S)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

DIRECTV Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 C HD Programming (AU9-S) - DIRECTV Slim Line - AU9-S - - au9s a9s aus au-s aus9 aus-9 mpeg4 directv hd local channels at-9 at 9 dish directv Ka-ku SL-5 AU9-SL5 AU9SL5 SL-5 ku band ka band dish

I agree, Jimbo. Clearly the installer didn't want to do the install. A pole mount is a good way to do it, whether you have to or not. There is nothing wrong with FIOS as an alternative, as long as they have the programming that you want.

that's strange...he definitely said it was 60lbs. He pointed out another pole mount in my development and said, "see, they have a lot of braces on that pole trying to keep it steady".....

weird.

Point being the dish is heavy, and we are advised AGAINST installing the Ka/Ku on a tripod. A pole is completely different, a pole is cemented 1-2ft into the ground. If this is going on a balcony, your asking for a tripod, or pole in a bucket or whatever.... which is NOT RECOMMENDED for a ka/ku. The installer is correct. and also, if you click the link in rad's post, you can clearly see

The wind load of this dish is too much for standard tripods, we only recommend Heavy Duty Satellite Tripods

and if you click on the link to the heavy duty satellite tripods, you will see they are meant to be installed on roofs, I would make sure your association knows that the foot of the tripod is going to have lags drilled through it into the balcony. also you probably only have about 2" of wood to drill through... not good
http://pimages.solidsignal.com/RON11011_det_zoomC.gif

to reiterate, the installer had the best judgment by walking on this job. You would have been unhappy with your signal and constant calls to d* to have your dish repeaked, and he would have been charged back for the reroll, and then the service calls would also be charged back.

Now on the other hand, if you are interested in standard definition, where the dish is much much smaller and does not require any fine tuning, that dish may be installed on a tripod or bucket mount.

Last edited:

DIRECTV Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 C HD Programming (AU9-S) - DIRECTV Slim Line - AU9-S - - au9s a9s aus au-s aus9 aus-9 mpeg4 directv hd local channels at-9 at 9 dish directv Ka-ku SL-5 AU9-SL5 AU9SL5 SL-5 ku band ka band dish
Exactly,

This will end up as a DIY project. From Directv down through the HSP system and their subcontractors...They do not want to tie up their system babysitting problem installations. The people who get by with the pole in a bucket have learned how to point the dish and keep it on signal.

The installer doesn't want to do the installation because he wants to get on to an installation job he may well be paid to complete. If there is a call for any reason within 90 (or more ) days someone will be hit for $100.00 for the call back.

Joe

Exactly,

This will end up as a DIY project. From Directv down through the HSP system and their subcontractors...They do not want to tie up their system babysitting problem installations. The people who get by with the pole in a bucket have learned how to point the dish and keep it on signal.

The installer doesn't want to do the installation because he wants to get on to an installation job he may well be paid to complete. If there is a call for any reason within 90 (or more ) days someone will be hit for $100.00 for the call back.

Joe

exactly, check out my edited post on page 1.

Strange, I got a Slimline pole mounted on my condo balcony with no complaint from the installer. The pole has some type of bracket wrapped around part of it which is then heavily zip-tied to the railing. It does twist ever so slightly in the wind over time, but all that means is eventually I get rain fade during a light thunderstorm and then I go out afterward and adjust it. TV is in the same room as the balcony door so it's easy enough even without a meter.

It's not Actually a roof mount(in ur case) It's just called that!

My development doesn't allow any time of roof mount...
The mount suggested is called a non penetrating "roof" mount because most of the time it's installed on the roof of a business where you can't make attatchements or penertations. It sits on a flat surface and you can put concrete blocks on it to keep still and dialed in. In your case it would go on your BALCONY not the Apartment building rooftop. Your apartment restricts dishes mounted on the roof I am sure. But you could put this on the balcony if you have the room, a line of sight, and you don't mind it taking up balcony space.

I probably should mind my own business, but I have to comment on FIOS. Our son down in Oklahoma City recently dumped his cable for FIOS. We visited them a few months later and while FIOS does provide as much programing as Cable/DTV, I was very unimpressed with the occasional de-pixilation while watching a show. While I didn't have a stop watch, it seems to have a spot of de-pililation about every 10 minutes or so.

I understood him to say that they lived a short distance from the fiber optic head. And from that point on, it was "2 wire" service into their home. Also, his internet speed was lower than he was getting from cable. If FIOS in the only choice, sure I would go for it. However, my home is located in a position that allows me a good signal from DTV and I'm sticking with DTV.

I probably should mind my own business, but I have to comment on FIOS. Our son down in Oklahoma City recently dumped his cable for FIOS. We visited them a few months later and while FIOS does provide as much programing as Cable/DTV, I was very unimpressed with the occasional de-pixilation while watching a show. While I didn't have a stop watch, it seems to have a spot of de-pililation about every 10 minutes or so.

I understood him to say that they lived a short distance from the fiber optic head. And from that point on, it was "2 wire" service into their home. Also, his internet speed was lower than he was getting from cable. If FIOS in the only choice, sure I would go for it. However, my home is located in a position that allows me a good signal from DTV and I'm sticking with DTV.

You sure you're not talking about AT&T U-Verse service, which is fiber to the neighborhood node and then copper to the home. AFAIK, FIOS is always fiber all the way to the home, no copper until within the home.

Strange, I got a Slimline pole mounted on my condo balcony with no complaint from the installer. The pole has some type of bracket wrapped around part of it which is then heavily zip-tied to the railing. It does twist ever so slightly in the wind over time, but all that means is eventually I get rain fade during a light thunderstorm and then I go out afterward and adjust it. TV is in the same room as the balcony door so it's easy enough even without a meter.

I am sure there are thousands of those rigs out there,

In theory there is one standard announced by Directv for their subcontractors to follow. What really happens is much like a "don't ask; don't tell" situation. Yes every installation should be grounded, connected to a land line phone and serviced by a dish that is firmly attached to the structure. Rather than loose business many things are overlooked. If there is a problem it will visit itself on whoever went beyond the perfect installation. Quality Control people have a flavor of the month approach to enforcement.

Joe

That would be amazing if he had FIOS in Oklahoma city since Verizon is not the ILEC.

"some type of bracket" doesnt sound like it belongs there lol... and the 'heavily zip-tied to the railing' is the other part of why an installer mostly wouldnt want to do this. If that job was qc'd then the tech would have been in alot of trouble, and since you adjust the dish yourself without any negative feelings towards doing so this is different. Not all customers would want to have to adjust their dish every time it gets windy. Also check your signal on the 99c and 103c sats. Im betting its not in the 90s which is where it should be at.

i shouldve of taken a pic of the deck patio mount we have in our warehouse. i dont know why that cant be used? it has a faceplate to mount on the deck, and a pole to support the dish. it is awesome mount. i have used these more than having to use a pole mount when a customer says they dont want it on the house... most houses have Decks. i have NOT come across a house that didnt have it. most apts do have them and they have beams to support the decks.. even if you lived on the main floor with no deck. there are supports to support the upper decks above you. i wished i had kept that deck mount.

they are more useful than the pole mount or even putting in a 5 gallon bucket full of cement and using that, it doesnt take much for a high 20 mph wind to blow that over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts