Installer Coming Back Tomorrow For The Third Time.

bumblebee8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Hi Guys, I really need some help here, my installer has only been on the job for 3 months and this is the third time he has been to my house in the past 10 days for the same problem, which is lost of satellite signal. I have a VIP622 connected to two dishes, a 500 for the 129 and a 1000 for the 110, 119. The problem started with the receiver taking about 15 seconds to change channels and then all of a sudden, it would lose all signals and the search for satellite would pop up. I called Dish and they said my dish needed repeaking and they would send someone out the next day. He arrived the next morning and tried to get the signal to come in but could not. He looked at my two dishes, which was installed by his same company when I got the 622 in May and said I have never seen a set up like this before. I explained to him the the original installer could not get strong enough signals on the 1000 for 119, 110, and 129. I had a dish 500 and he finally had to use that to get 129. He was still scratching his head and decided to change the 129 LNB out, went in the house and still no signal, he went back out and hooked his satellite meter on the dishes, got good signals and came back in the house and finally got the picture back. He left and three days later, I had to call him back as it was doing the same thing as before, this time he brought a new receiver and swapped out and everything was fine again until TODAY. Same problem again, we are again with NO signal strength and no TV to watch, error searching for Satellite. The young man is really trying but I don't think he has a clue as to what is wrong or how to fix it.... Any help here would be appreciated. I really don't think it is in the receiver. I have a 501 that I hooked up to a 500 dish and it has been going strong for 6 years with no problem, but I am no tech and not to savy on these things...So please if you have any ideas, I will stay on line for some answers.

Thanks,
bumblebee8

I am thinking you probably have a Dish Pro Plus Twin on your main dish pointing at the 110/119.

It's probably a bad Plus Twin, common problem.

Assuming that's what you have, until there is a secured fix for the DPP Twin problem, I suggest using like a DP Twin/Quad/Dual and use a 34 switch.

Now if everything above is correct, depending on all what you have I say go with that, but most likely you'll need another line run to the 622.

Honestly I'm afraid to use DPP Twins until there is a permanent fix... might save time on installs but the trouble calls are another.

Good luck.

Hi Guys, I really need some help here, my installer has only been on the job for 3 months and this is the third time he has been to my house in the past 10 days for the same problem, which is lost of satellite signal. I have a VIP622 connected to two dishes, a 500 for the 129 and a 1000 for the 110, 119. The problem started with the receiver taking about 15 seconds to change channels and then all of a sudden, it would lose all signals and the search for satellite would pop up. I called Dish and they said my dish needed repeaking and they would send someone out the next day. He arrived the next morning and tried to get the signal to come in but could not. He looked at my two dishes, which was installed by his same company when I got the 622 in May and said I have never seen a set up like this before. I explained to him the the original installer could not get strong enough signals on the 1000 for 119, 110, and 129. I had a dish 500 and he finally had to use that to get 129. He was still scratching his head and decided to change the 129 LNB out, went in the house and still no signal, he went back out and hooked his satellite meter on the dishes, got good signals and came back in the house and finally got the picture back. He left and three days later, I had to call him back as it was doing the same thing as before, this time he brought a new receiver and swapped out and everything was fine again until TODAY. Same problem again, we are again with NO signal strength and no TV to watch, error searching for Satellite. The young man is really trying but I don't think he has a clue as to what is wrong or how to fix it.... Any help here would be appreciated. I really don't think it is in the receiver. I have a 501 that I hooked up to a 500 dish and it has been going strong for 6 years with no problem, but I am no tech and not to savy on these things...So please if you have any ideas, I will stay on line for some answers.

Thanks,
bumblebee8
I f you think the tech in not qualified, call Dish and demand a field service manager to come an take a look and FIX it!. Do not take no for an answer..If the CSR gives you a hard time demand to speak to the winback dept...If that doesn't work ask for "executive resolutions" that dept is the highest authority....

Thanks, rcdallas and whatchel1.,DishComm for your replies.

After I posted my original message, I unplugged the receiver and left it off for a couple of hours, then I plugged it back up, it still gave me the searching for satellite signal, in a few minutes it came back on and updated my guide and the programs were back on. Now I was the one scratching my head, wondering what was going on. As I stated before my 501 is connected to a seperate 500 dish and I have never had a problem with it. But it is on a pole under the eve of my house. The 1000 with the dish pro twin and the 500 for 129 for the 622 are on poles in concrete that are about 40 ft from my house because the first installer said he couldn't get a signal for 129 at the location of my old 500 dish for the 501, I hope I am making some sense here. The wind was blowing rather hard here today ( NE MS) when the lost of signal occured. Tonight when I got signal again, the wind was calm. Do you think the wind could have caused this lost of signal. I was thinking of calling the installer and telling him not to come since it is working again but I'm not sure this won't happen again.. I'm getting a little upset with the whole thing. Since this is the 3rd time, I just want it fixed..

Last edited:
Thanks, rcdallas and whatchel1.,DishComm for your replies.

After I posted my original message, I unplugged the receiver and left it off for a couple of hours, then I plugged it back up, it still gave me the searching for satellite signal, in a few minutes it came back on and updated my guide and the programs were back on. Now I was the one scratching my head, wondering what was going on. As I stated before my 501 is connected to a seperate 500 dish and I have never had a problem with it. But it is on a pole under the eve of my house. The 1000 with the dish pro twin and the 500 for 129 for the 622 are on poles in concrete that are about 40 ft from my house because the first installer said he couldn't get a signal for 129 at the location of my old 500 dish for the 501, I hope I am making some sense here. The wind was blowing rather hard here today ( NE MS) when the lost of signal occured. Tonight when I got signal again, the wind was calm. Do you think the wind could have caused this lost of signal. I was thinking of calling the installer and telling him not to come since it is working again but I'm not sure this won't happen again.. I'm getting a little upset with the whole thing. Since this is the 3rd time, I just want it fixed..
Yers, A high wind day can surely move the dish out of peak...
On th eother issue...It very likely that the insatller was correct in finding a mout suitable place for the 129 dish..129 is very low in the sky and finding line of sight is sometimes difficult.
You also may have had an older software version on your receivers. make sure you shut them down when not in use.....

If the tech needs to come out again, have him check the grounding block.
If you unplug all of your receivers hooked up to the same dish(es), it will in turn reset the lnbf, and release all static elecricity in the lines. elecricity=bad. Most likely a grounding issue.

good luck

I had the same thing happen to me-twice. When I had Voom everything was working fine till the day after the install and I lost signal. I looked up at the dish and it was facing the ground. The guy left ALL the bolts loose. I reaimed it and tightened them down myself. Then the installer for Dish left the Voom dish for 61.5 and stuck a second one up there. Next day THE SAME THING happened with that one. I went up there and all the bolts were left loose and the dish was flopping around in the wind. Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked.

New suggestion

Have the installer aim the Dish at the 61.5 satellite. There are only 2 reasons to not aim at it and that would be if there is something in the line of site or there is a program on 129 that you really need. Here is a link to what is on all E* sats inclulding 61.5 and 129.
http://www.dishchannelchart.com/

Chadzx11, I am located in Clay County, West Point....Satellite Unlimited

I'm not familiar with them. The company I worked for didn't go that far (but I am sure they would if they could make somebody drive it). Are you a Mississippi State fan? I'm heading down for the baseball alumni game tommorrow. It's gonna be a blast!

Chadzx11, I bleed Maroon and White, both my children graduated from Mississippi State and I have a grandson who will graduate next year. We have season tickets to all sports, can't say that I've enjoyed our football this year but things will get better if everybody will just hang together. Enjoy the baseball, I'm looking forward to basketball.

The tech will be back to my house tomorrow to check everything with my satellite problem, right now it's going good but it may not be in the next hour.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm thinking of buying another 500 dish for the 110/119 and take down the 1000 with the DDP Twin. Which LNB's would you recommend, the legacy twin or Dual legacy or the legacy Quad. Which would be more reliable?? Please let me know and I'll try to pick one up on Ebay.

If the tech needs to come out again, have him check the grounding block.
If you unplug all of your receivers hooked up to the same dish(es), it will in turn reset the lnbf, and release all static elecricity in the lines. elecricity=bad. Most likely a grounding issue.

good luck
are you implying that you would ignore the alignment issue? That you would not chek the alignment of the dish(es)?

I'm thinking of buying another 500 dish for the 110/119 and take down the 1000 with the DDP Twin. Which LNB's would you recommend, the legacy twin or Dual legacy or the legacy Quad. Which would be more reliable?? Please let me know and I'll try to pick one up on Ebay.

If you ever get to Tunica (resorts, not the crappy town!), I have a dish 500 you can have. As far as LNB's go, If you use regular old DP or legacy, you'll need 2 lines going to your DVR. You will also need switch(es) to combine the satty signals. If you get a DPP44, well, that's DPP, so you'd only need the one line.

Before you start buying expensive parts, take a look at the cabling. Make sure it is RG6, and that every connector is installed properly. Look for ANY splices, including at the wallplates. If your house was prewired, well, they use electricians to handle all that, and honestly, some of them leave a lot to be desired. Often, they will use twist on connectors, and those have to be put on exactly right or they will cause problems. Its actually easier and cheaper to use linear compression fittings.

Hope you get everything worked out!

Last edited:
Chadzx11, I do appreciate the offer of the Dish 500, however we never get over to Tunica, we are senior citizens and our driving consists of driving to the Doctor's offices and MSU. I do hope that you enjoyed the baseball this past week-end. How about them Football Dawg's????

We are still having problems with getting the satellite signal into the receiver, no signal today and the tech has not showed up today as promised, so guess I will call Dish Network tomorrow and see if I can get another tech to come out and fix the problem, I hate to pay 100 month and can't watch tv. Thanks again for all your help..

Several questions... #1 - What kind of signal strength are you receiving for each of the three signals, 119/110/129 - #2 Does your signal loss occur on all channels or just the HD channels - #3 Is the 622 the only receiver using this Dish combination at your home or is it sharing with another receiver - Last question - Did you have any time with uninterrupted service? I'd be happy to provide assistance to you over the phone. E-mail me if you'd like : cjssats@msn.com

cjs,

To answer your questions.....

#1.Before the problems started, we were getting 90's on the 110 and 119, and 65-70 on the 129 satellite.

#2. The signal loss occurs on all channels.

#3 The 622 is the only receiver using this Dish combination in my house.

4. For 5 months, we had no problems at all, this all started about 10 days ago.

Thanks for your offer to help over the phone, if this is not resolved in the next few days, I will e-mail you.