Installer here / question

swannyj

Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
I wanted to have a second room wired for Sat (since it is free if I do now) but do not have the 2nd TV. The installer quickly said they will not do it unless the TV is available as they have to know what it defaults to, cable or air. After discussing further I advised, as I have a 50/50 chance of getting a TV with the default setting he uses during this install, I would like to go ahead and have him wire it. He agreed but cautioned I might have to try a lot of TVs before hitting one that defaults to his setting.

Two questions; would I be better off biting the bullet and paying to have it installed later and is there a way to determine the default on a TV when buying.

1 Enhanced HD DuoDVR, 2-way Remote Receiver/1000.2 is receiver being installed

I think it's just a matter of which outputs on the receiver to use and which type of cables to use for the hookup. Maybe a setting change in the setup of the receiver, but nothing you couldn't do yourself.

Have the room wired now. Most new TV's come set up for OTA, while some are set up for Cable. It doesn't matter, they all can be changed to one or the other as well as the output for TV-2 on the receiver.
If all else fails and you can't get the TV working, check back here for advice. We'll get you going. No worries.

Thanks to all of you

Thank you all for answering and thank you for making this forum available. I am a total novice but started hanging out here while trying to make my decision re. sat.
Today, thanks to this forum, I knew enough to question the installer. I also ordered (at forum's recommendation) thru Dishstore and had a summary of my order thur e-mail in front of me (something Dish refused to send me so I cancelled install with them) and called Mike twice.

I was set to get the 722k but installer said they did not have one so he was installing the 722. The installer insisted there was no difference. I don't know much but thru my lurking here I knew there was a difference. So, after some discussion I refused to sign the job as being completed and he then agreed to bring out the 722K on Monday. BTW is the remote diff also?

So, once again thanks for letting novices such as myself hangout. And, I hope you have patience because I am sure I will have questions!
Judy

BTW is the remote diff also?

It might be. Call him back to find out for sure. The best thing he could give you are two model 21.0 remotes. Those things are great and work almost everything. The only thing I couldn't get mine to do is work the garage door. :D

Also, +:up on your being able to set up whatever later. That is easy.

Another thing about 722 or 722k receivers, since they have 2 satellite tuners, Dish will want to hit them occasionally to make sure they are where they supposed to be. Make sure they are hooked to a phone line or a broadband connection to avoid the extra tuner fee.

If you are intending to do any OTA recording/viewing, you will need to purchase the OTA module for the 722K. Buy itself, no OTA Tuners. (the 722 comes with one). You should call the Dishstore to comfirm this and report what happened. They want to know.

Make sure they are hooked to a phone line or a broadband connection to avoid the extra tuner fee.[/QUOTE]

It was my understanding from talking with Claude this fee would be waived as I subscribed to DVR advantage.

It might be. Call him back to find out for sure. The best thing he could give you are two model 21.0 remotes. Those things are great and work almost everything. The only thoing I couldn't get mine to do is work the garage door.

I would love being able to do away with some of the remotes so I will ask. The one he left today is "5.4IR". And since it is a duo receiver I should be left with 2 remotes?

how asking him what setting he will use, ie 60 air or 73cable. then when you get your new tv, open up the owners manual. it will tell you how to set your tv to either air mode or cable mode. then problem solved. also, the owners manual of your sat receiver will also tell you how to change your tv2 output from air mode or cable mode. as long as you have your sat rec output matching the mode you set your tv to, you are set, so i wouldnt sweat it. with most tvs, all you have to do is run the "auto scan" and it will scan in both air mode and cable mode and set it self to whatever it picks up.

just get a tv there, any one for now, and you will be fine. when you get your new tv, it will most likely go straight to an initial set up application and scan for you automatically.

installation question cont.

The installer told me he could just lay the line across the roof and drop it down or go along the windows. I suggested in lay in below the edge at the bottom of the siding. When I looked later the pics below show what he did for part of the install. He said he could not put it underneath in this area of the house because the siding was concrete siding brick & he had nothing to clip to. However, the siding at the bottom extends over the concrete ledge about an inch and I find it hard to believe there is no way to attach.

Is this a typical install?

Attachments

• housebottom 1.jpg
    housebottom 1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 0605091750 1.jpg
    0605091750 1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 0605091750a.jpg
    0605091750a.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 133

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts