Installer is coming tomorrow need some advice guys

sixbears

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Wyoming, NY
I am switching back to Dish from TW and I have some questions regarding the current Dish recievers.

My setup is the following:

1 HD DVR in living room
1 HD DVR in bedroom
1 SD in kitchen

As far as equipment goes, looks like they are going to supply me with a SOLO ViP DVR 612 in the living room and a DUO ViP DVR 722k in the bedroom with TV1 for the bedroom HD and TV2 for the kitchen SD.

I would like to have OTA channels in all 3 rooms.

I also understand that the 612 has a OTA antenna input that may cause me grief.

I understand that the 722 supports only OTA on TV1. The 722k will support OTA on TV1 & TV2 with the additional module ($30).

What would be the best recievers to have OTA channels in all 3 rooms with the least chance of problems?

Thanks!

Bear

I don't know about the OTA, but you might want to do another 722k instead of the 612. Only reason would be so you can record in the background and watch another "live" channel.

I have a 722 downstairs only connected to the main TV, and a 722 in my bedroom with the "tv2" backfeed to the loft. I set the default record tuner to "tv2" so its rare when I have the tv1 engage to record something.

May not be a problem for you, but I tend to watch the news "live" and then catch up on my recordings later.

sixbears;2097101 I would like to have OTA channels in all 3 rooms. [/QUOTE said:
With 612 and 722K, you will. I also agree if you can do so without extra charge, try to get another 722/722K

I'd shy away from the ViP612 in favor of a ViP722 but there's a considerable cost penalty.

Which receiver goes where is more likely based on cabling issues.

The setup that you suggest can provide OTA to all TVs with the addition of the OTA module.

612 you can record one and watch another sat chanel at the same time . or record 2 sat chans and watch an ota chanel . If you have 2 lines to each location wuld be best . 3 rec max 2 sat 1 ota

if you have only one line the installer wuld have to diplex ota and sat to the 612,

2 lines to the 722 is a must as diplexing on a slingle line will only provide sat and tv 2 (ota and tv2 use the same frequincys)

in most locations unless you you get a frequincy chart and can find a chanel number that has 2 chanel spacing on each side 73no 74no 75(Tv2) 76no 77no 78(OTA) then the tech could use a combiner on the end of the diplexer to give ota and tv2 plus sat on that single line.

If your OTA is amplifyed do not let him diplex it into any of the sat lines.

if i wher in your place i wuld make sure to be home when they come...

Looks like the cost differance is $7/mo, no additional increase in 1 time fee of $100 for additional receiver be it a 722 or a 612. I am just concerned about the posts I have see regarding the 612 with OTA antenna connected.....

Oh yes, I will be there when the installation occurs! If I decide to go with 2, 722's should I alert Dish since the installer would most likely show up with a 612 and a 722?

Also, should I insist on 722(k) receivers and not 722?

yes 2 722k wuld give you 2 ota and 2 sat all at once on each box plus you can do pip and swap if you use one for just one tv

you wuld still need the moduals for the 722k's old 722 have the ota built in but only tv1 can axx it and you wuld have 3 max recodings like the 612

Oh yes, I will be there when the installation occurs! If I decide to go with 2, 722's should I alert Dish since the installer would most likely show up with a 612 and a 722?

Also, should I insist on 722(k) receivers and not 722?

Absolutely you should call. Also, are you aware you need to order a $30.00 OTA module (optional) for the 722K? And, Dish is under no obligation to provide any specific duo dvr model, although the 722K seems to be standard issue.

I just learned of the additional module require for the 722k and have not order it as I don't know what model the installer will show up with. Dish never asked me anything about OTA connection requirements. Would the installer have these OTA modules on-hand? Or do they come directly from Dish?

Another question. In the past I would use a 501 in the bedroom and run the RF out down to the kitchen in a "either or" configuration. Odds of us watching in both the bedroom and kitchen at the same time are rare. Is this type of configuration still supported with the 612? If so then I would use the 612 in the bedroom route the RF out to the kitchen and moved the Duo to the living room as that would be where the majority of viewing would occur.

Bear

I want to thank everyone fror there responses! I am leaning towards getting 2 722k's due to the operation problems and restricted capabilities of the 612.

Is the 722k, the best receiver Dish cuurrently offers with regards to picture quality, operation and capabilities?

Bear

I want to thank everyone fror there responses! I am leaning towards getting 2 722k's due to the operation problems and restricted capabilities of the 612.

Is the 722k, the best receiver Dish cuurrently offers with regards to picture quality, operation and capabilities?

Bear
722K is the "Latest and Greatest" in the dish family of receivers. As far as the OTA mod. Don't depend on the installer to have them. I know here, they haven't been in stock in our warehouse for quite some time and when we do have them, they limit stock on vans to only one! Better off getting them ahead of time from Dish if ou know your getting K's.

Bear

Since you are only getting two boxes if you haggle with them you should be able to get them both with out an upgrade fee. I got four boxes including two 612s for no up front cost when i signed up a few months ago.

I ended up with one 722 and one 722k. I have ordered the OTA module for the 722k as I understand the 722k will allow viewing of the OTA channels on TV 2 which is desirable for me.

Thanks again for the help guys, you rock!

Barry

Something else to consider would be a 722k and a 211k with an external hard drive. With an OTA module in the 722k, you would have over the air on all 3 sets. You can use TV2 of the 722k for the kitchen SD.

This would minimize your monthly costs for a small up front investment of the EHD and the $40 service fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)