Installer just left ?? HD -Signal

bondersma

Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hi guys

I posted awhile back on a Hd package, and my situation here is the post

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/159211-called-dish-upgrade-hd-need-help.html

Ok I think the installer pulled a fast one on me :mad: THis is what he did , he told me to get some duct tape , block off one of my cones on my dish 1000, i think it was the 129 satelite, I dont remember what satelite he said it blocked

THe 1000 already mounted on my deck has awesome view of south east, it had strength of 98 , He said he needed to add another dish ( dish 500 ) he said for some more HD channels, I said cool ok , so he looked around and seen my really really old dish mounted on side of house pointed in the same south east direction, he said that mount should work .

SO he took down that old dish and put up the dish 500, Ok Im no genious here but the direction he needed to point was the oposite as before on the old one so it was no longer clear view, it is now pointing to the south west, RIGHT THROUGH THE BIGGEST TREE IN MY YARD, its close to , maybe 15 yards away, ( in michigan here no leaves on trees ) He did pull something out and look through it , through the tree it looked like.

I said isnt it not a good idea to point it through the tree, he said it wont affect it , cause it points higher, hmmm , WEll he never even adjusted it all , I never saw him do anything to take time and aim it . I went to menu and it pops up the satelite 61.5 at a signal strength of barely 50------He also earlier took some cable from the 500 dish , and went to my 1000 dish .

Isnt satelite 61.5 for me just my locals in HD, He even said earlier that the second dish I didnt even need if I didnt want to mount another dish to house,, but I wouldnt recieve all hd channels,

Why the hell would I pay for Hd and not want to recieve all Hd channels haha.

ANyway, I want to get your opinions on this and if I should call them back to mount it in a clear sight of SW, or isnt it needed. It seems that when spring comes and leaves are on trees the signal will just get worse.

Maybe he thought he didnt need to take time to mount it properly cause its only for a few hd channels locally, I dont know.

ANother thing is does the vip 722 come with HDMI cables, he said it only comes with component, and wanted me to buy $40 hdmi cables from him , I cant believe dish would only give component cables with their best reciever. He packed up my old reciever so fast and took the component cables with him and any other cables that was in the new box, I didnt even get a chance to see what was in the box or keep any of the cables:mad: hell he didnt even leave a copy of the papers my dumbass signed which said he did a good job and probably everything was good , :mad::mad:

thanks guys for your help
Bob

The dish does aim higher than it looks like as it is an offset dish. That being said without pictures I don't think we will be able to tell if you will have a problem.

As far as the cables this goes back and forth. I personally have received HDMI cables (actually a HDMI to DVI with a DVI to HDMI adapter) in receiver boxes straight from dish, but I don't know if they still do that.

All of your HD channels come in on the 61.5 satellite and in my 4.5 years of installing Dish Network I have never seen an HDMI cable come in the box. I am pretty sure the installer did you a favor by blocking out the 129 satellite as the 61.5 will yield better signal strength.

I am pretty sure the installer did you a favor by blocking out the 129 satellite as the 61.5 will yield better signal strength.

Is a signal strength of 50 ok then, If the signal strength is lower does it affect the picture quality at all, or if the strength just gets low enough it will just scramble or just get lost, or actually on a low signal will it be a less of a picture.

THanks guys, I actually had a hdmi that i took off my ps3 so I could use it till I get another one, Seems like dish is kinda cheaping out there.

The thing of it is , is that the installer never even did a fine tune at all on the dish 500 , just put it up and that was it

Are you sure your 1000 was pointed SE and not SW? A 1000.2 with the 129 LNB would be pointed SW. A SS of 50 may or may not be a little low for your location. I get higher than that but I'm in FL and it should be higher for this locale. In IL that's about what I get for 129 and it's OK. The new signal meter has a lower scale than the older one that had higher levels. The SS generally has to get into the 20s before you lose signal and have problems. HDMI cables don't come with the receivers, only component. I get mine from monoprice.com. The national HD is the same on both 61.5 and 129. Since your locals are on 61.5, you need the extra dish. There will be a new 129 sat in place shortly. When that occurs, uncover the 129 LNB and run another switch test. You will then have all 4 sats available to you if you want. You have the best of all worlds in my opinion. The 110 sat is brand new, a brand new 129 will be online sometime this month or next, and 119 is due to be replaced/augmented in another year or so. In comparison, the eastern arc satellites are longer in the tooth, not that's there's a problems with any of them.

Is a signal strength of 50 ok then, If the signal strength is lower does it affect the picture quality at all, or if the strength just gets low enough it will just scramble or just get lost, or actually on a low signal will it be a less of a picture.

THanks guys, I actually had a hdmi that i took off my ps3 so I could use it till I get another one, Seems like dish is kinda cheaping out there.

The thing of it is , is that the installer never even did a fine tune at all on the dish 500 , just put it up and that was it

As far as a good priced HDMI cable go to HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Yea a signal of 50 will be ok on 61.5 as it is really 80-90 with the new signal meter.

Could it be better? Yes, but it is ok.

All of your HD channels come in on the 61.5 satellite and in my 4.5 years of installing Dish Network I have never seen an HDMI cable come in the box. I am pretty sure the installer did you a favor by blocking out the 129 satellite as the 61.5 will yield better signal strength.

Well I can tell you that both my (old) 942 and my 622 were shipped directly to me from dish and both came with a HDMI to DVI cable and the DVI to HDMI adapter.

Hi guys

I posted awhile back on a Hd package, and my situation here is the post

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/159211-called-dish-upgrade-hd-need-help.html

Ok I think the installer pulled a fast one on me :mad: THis is what he did , he told me to get some duct tape , block off one of my cones on my dish 1000, i think it was the 129 satelite, I dont remember what satelite he said it blocked

THe 1000 already mounted on my deck has awesome view of south east, it had strength of 98 , He said he needed to add another dish ( dish 500 ) he said for some more HD channels, I said cool ok , so he looked around and seen my really really old dish mounted on side of house pointed in the same south east direction, he said that mount should work .

SO he took down that old dish and put up the dish 500, Ok Im no genious here but the direction he needed to point was the oposite as before on the old one so it was no longer clear view, it is now pointing to the south west, RIGHT THROUGH THE BIGGEST TREE IN MY YARD, its close to , maybe 15 yards away, ( in michigan here no leaves on trees ) He did pull something out and look through it , through the tree it looked like.

I said isnt it not a good idea to point it through the tree, he said it wont affect it , cause it points higher, hmmm , WEll he never even adjusted it all , I never saw him do anything to take time and aim it . I went to menu and it pops up the satelite 61.5 at a signal strength of barely 50------He also earlier took some cable from the 500 dish , and went to my 1000 dish .

Isnt satelite 61.5 for me just my locals in HD, He even said earlier that the second dish I didnt even need if I didnt want to mount another dish to house,, but I wouldnt recieve all hd channels,

Why the hell would I pay for Hd and not want to recieve all Hd channels haha.

ANyway, I want to get your opinions on this and if I should call them back to mount it in a clear sight of SW, or isnt it needed. It seems that when spring comes and leaves are on trees the signal will just get worse.

Maybe he thought he didnt need to take time to mount it properly cause its only for a few hd channels locally, I dont know.

ANother thing is does the vip 722 come with HDMI cables, he said it only comes with component, and wanted me to buy $40 hdmi cables from him , I cant believe dish would only give component cables with their best reciever. He packed up my old reciever so fast and took the component cables with him and any other cables that was in the new box, I didnt even get a chance to see what was in the box or keep any of the cables:mad: hell he didnt even leave a copy of the papers my dumbass signed which said he did a good job and probably everything was good , :mad::mad:

thanks guys for your help
Bob

ok...The 61.5 is quite high in the sky. Perhaps as much 35 to 40 degrees of elevation. However it sounds like this guy was a hack. Pointing a dish inot a tree and coming up with that excuse he used tells me the guy didn't want to do the whole job properly. 50 is a bit low. If the elevation of the line of sight to the satellite is into the tree, you will lose signal once the tree sprouts leaves. 61.5 does indeed beam all national HD chs . And it may depending on your local market carry the HD locals.
NO Dish doesn't provide HDMI cables of any kind. We offer them for sale. Component cables are available free of charge., A note on that .We are forced by Dish to provide the component cables even though we have to buy them. We lose money on them. The tech should not have taken the component cables that were on site. Those are YOUR property.
No copy of the paperwork you signed was left by the tech? Unreal. This tech sounds like a real slick bastard.
Ok here's what you do. Call Dish and lodge a complaint. Tell them your cables weres tolen. Tell them the tech pointed the dish into a tree and you want that fixed. Tell them the tech refused to provide copies of the paperwork you signed and you demand they be provided to you . Threaten to cancel if your requests/ demands are not met.
It infuriates me when I read anecdotes such as yours . Techs like this should be run right out of the business. They make good conscientious people like myself look bad.

ok...The 61.5 is quite high in the sky. Perhaps as much 35 to 40 degrees of elevation. However it sounds like this guy was a hack. Pointing a dish inot a tree and coming up with that excuse he used tells me the guy didn't want to do the whole job properly. 50 is a bit low. If the elevation of the line of sight to the satellite is into the tree, you will lose signal once the tree sprouts leaves. 61.5 does indeed beam all national HD chs . And it may depending on your local market carry the HD locals.
NO Dish doesn't provide HDMI cables of any kind. We offer them for sale. Component cables are available free of charge., A note on that .We are forced by Dish to provide the component cables even though we have to buy them. We lose money on them. The tech should not have taken the component cables that were on site. Those are YOUR property.
No copy of the paperwork you signed was left by the tech? Unreal. This tech sounds like a real slick bastard.
Ok here's what you do. Call Dish and lodge a complaint. Tell them your cables weres tolen. Tell them the tech pointed the dish into a tree and you want that fixed. Tell them the tech refused to provide copies of the paperwork you signed and you demand they be provided to you . Threaten to cancel if your requests/ demands are not met.
It infuriates me when I read anecdotes such as yours . Techs like this should be run right out of the business. They make good conscientious people like myself look bad.

Let me try this again without the juvenile anger.

Perhaps we need to see pics of the job before we have a "rush to judgement" and throw this tech under the bus.

99% of our customers don't understand that the signal doesn't actually come "straight-in" to the dish but at different angles depending on customer's location and the sats called for in the system.

Dishcomm, I have no doubt that you're a good tech, but we catch enough unwarranted flack from the "empty suits" at corporate. IMO, we shouldn't tell a customer on here that his tech screwed-up unless we are absolutely sure. And even then it needs to be handled in the right way. (Not that I'm claiming to be a master of this, because obviously I'm not).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts