installer never finished the job

popshark86

May 24, 2004
The installer who installed dish in my house said that he forget the covers for the big holes he made, in my house. He also told me to buy a ground rod and that he would installed it the next day. So I did. Its been over two weeks and he hasnt come, leaving four big holes in my house open. What step should I take. I been very busy and had not the time to call Dish. Did I wait to long to complain with dish.

a ground rod just punched into the ground is not a legal grounding source, the ground rod would have to be connected to your electrical panel in order to be legal, also do you know if it was a sub, retailer, RSP, or DNS that installed your service. Get a hold of the company and explain your issue( don't yell and complain) and it should get taken care of shortly. If it does not get taken care of than start than start getting angry

Is it the customers responsibility to purchase a ground rod?

Can someone confirm that an added ground rod must be connected to the electrical panel? The wireless internet installer did a ground rod (without my asking), but he didn't hook it to the panel.

I didn't have to purchase a grounding rod either. All the installer did was hook up a grounding block to the wire that comes out of our electric box. At least at our old place they did that. Not sure how they will do it at the new place.

to reiterate a legal ground has to be connected to the electrical panel, all the things in your house, the water pipes, the ground rod (8ft) outside your house, the phone system etc. all have to be bonded to a ground that is connected to your electrical panel or meter in order to be legal

What happens if we dont connect the system to a ground rod. I have one next to the electrical panel but he said its to far away from it. That his going to waste alot of cable. A**HO**

why can't he use a corner grounding clamp to ground directly to the meter? why is he insisting on a ground rod? NEC code dictates that all external antenna's have to be grounded in compliance with the National Electrical Code, for one thing if you sign off or remove it and you get a static discharge from a lightning strike( not a direct hit) your insurance won't cover it and they will have to fix all damage caused by it, which could include anything connected to the sat system, which would be TV's, receivers, DVD players, VCR's etc. could be damaged or even destroyed. Get the system grounded and install a surge protector as well

Grounding for a satellite system has to do with lighting protection, not an electrical connection. Using a ground rod is fine. In fact in cases of large structures you can connect directly to building steel. As long as your rod is 8ft deep in the ground you will be fine. It depends on what the circumstances are on whether it's better (easier) to connect to a existing electrical box or drive a new ground rod. If you live in an area with clay and rocky soil you had better have a good hammer drill (Hilti TE55) with you. If your have more sand in the soil you can do it with a good arm and a lump hammer (sledge) It sounds as if as if this guy didn't want to work that day. Call E and have them send someone else.

You need to call Dish and complain. I hope you didn't sign a work order saying he did all his work properly. Dish will send out an inspector and if what you say is true they will correct the problems and charge the company back the money they were paid for the install.

actually rockaway you are incorrect, just plunging an 8ft rod into the ground does not comply with the NEC, for stand alone structures yes but for any system that enters your home it does not. First of all the correct term is bonding not grounding, the home's water sytem is bonded to the electrical ground of your house. If you don't believe me call up a master electrician and check it out for yourself. As for being for lightning protection, not exactly, when you ground an exterior antenna it is for the static discharge of electricity, via a lightning strike nearby or any other thing, a direct strike will blow everything out, it wouldn't matter if that rod was 100 feet in the ground

That's a problem. I wasnt there when the installer install the system. It was my gf who was there. She said she sign papers. So I should just forget about it then. That S**KS

Grounding your system is for lightning strikes and nothing will save your system or any thing else in your house from a direct strike. But it is also for the discharge of static electricity that builds up in your system. DirecTV's old boxes had a big problem with static build up Dish never had that big of a problem but it does accur. The grounding block of your system needs to be grounded to the utility ground using #10 copper wire sleeved in green as close as possible. If a second grounding rod is used it needs to be within 20' of the utility ground and connected with #6 bare copper wire.

No still call and complain a improper install is illegal and needs to be corrected and Dish will take care of it. Dish will also deal with who ever installed it if it was them or the retailer that was incharge of your install. Grounding is at the top of dishes pet peevs.

The wire from your dish will go to a grounding block or a switch then to your receiver. At the grounding block you should see the ground wire. Usually this is where the wire enters the house on the outside or in the basement.

I will try again
http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/a27010s.pdf#search='electrical%20code%20for%20antenna%20installation'

Well looks like that link just doesn't want to post. If you want to take the time to punch all that in by hand there is brief but clear explanation of grounding antennas (or dish)

rowemance said:
You need to call Dish and complain. I hope you didn't sign a work order saying he did all his work properly. Dish will send out an inspector and if what you say is true they will correct the problems and charge the company back the money they were paid for the install.

In my case I did not realize the original installer failed to ground the system until some days later. I called E* and they just sent another guy out to install grounding blocks and to ground the system with a rod. My electrical connection is on the opposite side of the house and I understand you need to be within 25 feet for proper bonding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)