Installer Refused to Install

I just had a dish network installer refuse to install the dish at my appartment because he said that he couldn't ground the dish. He said that I had to have a water heater with metal pipes in my storage area or he couldn't ground it. I asked him why he couldnt just drive a copper stake into the ground and ground off that, he said that dish would fire him if he did it.

Is this guy full of B/S and just doesn't want to do the job, or will dish really not let him install.

What can I do now to get my dish??
Actually copper ground rods are a no no..But as a last resort they can be used. I have in the past used them and very specifically noted on the W/O why..and the customer signed off on it..Never got questioned on it...Improper grounding does in fact carry a heavy penalty. Most techs don't carry ground rods..The botton line is the guy was not BS ing you

HUH?!? So, if he refuses to install the system because there is no suitable ground he's "full of it"? I'm sorry, but the installer is totally and completely correct on this one. And now that Dish has implemented it's total/complete chargebacks for anything that qualifies as a failure (i.e., the system not grounded) this sort of thing is going to be more prevalent.
I agree..When a suitable ground is not available (extremely rare) I consult with my supervisor. We both then inform the customer of the risks involved. If he agrees then the cust must assume all liabilty and sign off to that effect. Otherwise the job goes away.

no im saying he by the book but with dish, thats like winning powerball/mega millions or both

most do a decent job some are horrible and every now and then a good install

im saying contact local retailer and reschedule or contact 18883333474 to reschedule install

im sure there are many out ther that are willing to install w/o ground

then once installed w/o ground add dhpp to your account and call and complain a month later bout install and no ground
Are you in the satellite business? Because that response is the very reason why good experienced installers are getting out of this business. You imply that no matter what the installer should for the sake of getting tv, protocols should be breached..sorry I don't do things that way...I regret to inform you that there are those of us who still hold integrity and pride in our work in very high regard.

Last edited:
Alright. Let's run with this for a minute. If you, as a customer, know darned well the system isn't grounded, and was even told by the installer that there is "no way in hell it can ever be grounded", would you sign the paperwork and THEN admonish/backstab said installer by calling up Dish? Seems to me a total waste of time since no amount of calling is going to get your system grounded. If anything, you may run the risk of whatever repair tech calling up Dish and having the system disconnected due to safety and NEC issues.
I despise customers like this....

just a question is not copper stake in the ground a good ground?? Because thats what the tech from DNS did.
According to SBCA it is not...here are the only acceptable satellite system grounding methods..Sorry this is a bit long...But no mention of grounding rods
1. Electrical service electrode (ground rod), or the conductor that connects the ground rod to the electrical service panel.

The ground rod must be the main electrical ground rod, or if a separate ground rod is installed, bonded to the primary ground with 6 gauge ground wire. It is a common practice among some installers to install a 5 foot ground rod and not back bond. This can lead to several problems. See part 7 for more information about installing isolated ground rods.

2. The metal electrical service panel. A Service Panel includes the meter housing, circuit breaker , or sub panel, if the sub panel is connected to the breaker panel by a rigid metal conduit. A rigid metal conduit is typically schedule 40 steel.

3. A metal electrical raceway or rigid conduit. The metal conduit or raceway that feeds power to your service meter, or runs between service panels. To ground to a conduit, a copper or galvanized steel strap is wrapped around the pipe and secured with a screw that, when tighten, pulls the clamp tight.

4. Water pipe. BUT ONLY with in five feet of the water pipes entrance to the structure and only if the water pipe is metal and in direct earth contact for at least 10 feet before entering the property. Attaching a ground wire to a water valve is NOT ACCEPTABLE and should not be accepted.

See part 7 for more information about grounding to a water pipe. Attaching a ground wire to any water pipe beyond 5 feet from where the pipe emerges from the ground is not allowed. The image to the right shows a ground wire attached to the main water service as the line exits the ground and enters the structure. The point were the water supply pipe emerges from the earth is the pipes point of entry.

5. The grounded metal structure of a building. If the buildings metal structure is grounded by one of the above means, a ground wire can be bonded to the metal structure. This is usually used with mobile homes and commercial buildings.

It has nothing to do with being biased. The fact is, you simply don't do that to people; regardless of whom they work for. Their very financial situation and living depend on that. And you're willing to jeopardize that all for the sake of television viewing. Unbelievable.

Over the years I've caught myself cutting corners...at the request of the customer, "oh...who's going to tell. Certainly not sweet and innocent me, your customer". *cough cough*...BS!! Those are the first ones to cry, complain and otherwise rat you out. I've found it's better in the long run to maintain your professional gameface and be consistent with your installs. If the person can't get their television due to legal (NEC, HOA, or otherwise) restrictions....tough. It's not my fault as an installer. I'm just playing with the hand that is dealt to me.
After reading Stone's posts on here I must confess that I lied..I don't depsise customers like him.. I HATE them...

Thanks to everybody for letting me know that the installer did the right thing.
I will probaby give up my dish for the 6 months I am in the appartment :(

One last question. There is a porch light neer the install location. couldn't an installer tie into the main ground system through the poarch light ground.
Yes it is permissable to do a light or electrical outlet "pigtail" ground..I have doen these as well..However ina na apartment, no..That is altering the property and since the tennant does not own the property, he cannot give his consent to do this..

Ok
So if we have to decline doing all these installs now because they won't pass Dish code, what will you do when Dish won't give you any work because your completion rate is to low?
and that is the catch 22..Dish harps on completion rates and trouble calls...But they also harp on specs...So we're stuck..Thing is this issue of holding back work..In my area it horse poopie...there is one other contractor in the area plus a DNS office..If they take work away from us jst who ar ethey goingot give it to?...The other contratcor?..Both they and us have all the work we can handle..The DNS office would be handing out any work if they could do it themsleves..So who are they kidding..We has excellent numbers over the past 6 months, we still get the same amount of work week to week..Same amount as when our numbers were not as good..

I had a Dish system put in this week in a DW Mobile Home. I set a 2 7/8" Galvanized pipe over two ft into the dirt to mount the two dishes on. The installer ziptied the ground block to the pole and ran a (maybe 12 ga) wire down to an approx 15" piece of 1/4" rebar for the ground. This new pole is approx 30-35' from the pole my meter is on and has the ground rod next to it. Also the telephone co set their own ground rod at the corner of the MH about 60' from meter pole. I think my pole is a better ground than that toy the installer put in.
Bryce
It is ..The rebar is no good ..Why this guy didn't just ground the thing to the meter base gound wire is a mystery

I don't like dish network anymore than you do. People like you are the reason I won't bend the rules for ANYBODY. Everytime I do somebody a favor, it bites me in the ass. :D
Same here..No exceptions..I used to bend the rules. But I got hit on QC a couple of times and I said that's that..No more..If somebody wants me to breach protcol they will sign over their first born and pay me a lot of money....

It is ..The rebar is no good ..Why this guy didn't just ground the thing to the meter base gound wire is a mystery

A few things:

1st...thanks for making me remember WHY I hate whiny and backstabbing customers. After re-reading (courtesy of your quoting my posts :)), it just made me more angry over what people (not just Stone, either) have grown to *expect* from us as installers. Me, me, me! Gimme, gimme, gimme! Free, free, free!

This is why installers need to stick to their guns and not cave in. I liken it to drawing a line in the sand. As long as you make your points and installation expectations clear to the customer, and are able to withstand the 1st few minutes of bellyaching, most people will play nice and understand WHY and HOW the installation restrictions are in place.

2ndly...LOL...I wondered why the installer for the trailer just simply didn't bond the groundblock to the metal frame of the trailer. A very common...and legal...practice.

Copper pipes are an ok ground, but as an installer, it's my understanding that if you are going to use the copper water pipe as a ground, it has to be within 5 feet of where the pipes enter the house. If I'm wrong, somebody let me know.

As far as doing a job if there is no viable ground, I agree with the other post on here. I won't do a job if I can't ground the system, and though your completion rate may go down a bit, I find that it's only about 1 or 2 a month where you run into that situation, but I'm not going to risk the chargeback. Not to mention the fact that I do take pride in what I do. If I can't do it right, why do it at all?

The biggest frustration I have is with service calls. When I go out to a service call I am expected to bring everything up to code. There are too many times I've gone out to do a $35 service call and ended up running a lot of my cable, trenching new wire, changing fittings, (my fittings) grounding a system (with my #10 ground wire) and on and on.

I'm getting paid a lot less for that then the lazy guy that installed the job originally got.

I guess it all averages out so I can't complain too much, but it still burns me to see some of the really really bad jobs some installers have done.
I can always tell which installers pay for their own coax and which ones have it provided. How many times have we all seen 8 miles of cable strewn all across somebody's roof? How anybody could look at that and call that acceptable is beyond me. Those people are the reason that dish has become so strict.

Although I've never had a chargeback yet, I would like to see dish at least give 30 days to correct a problem, (at the techs expense, not theirs) if there is a qc problem before they chargeback. Not making excuses for bad work, but anyone who works as an installer knows how crazy your workload for the day can get. After working days upon days 14 hours a day sometimes you can get to where you miss something that you may have not even realized by getting in a hurry or just overlooking.

just my thoughts....
I am supposed to bring bad jobs to spec as well. But if it's in bad shape I note the account and give the notes to dispatch..We are no longer obligated to redo installs for others on spec violations. We used to but Dish keeps denying payment for reinstalls. So we were doing all this work for nothing.

I am supposed to bring bad jobs to spec as well. But if it's in bad shape I note the account and give the notes to dispatch..We are no longer obligated to redo installs for others on spec violations. We used to but Dish keeps denying payment for reinstalls. So we were doing all this work for nothing.

This is why you claim the "reinstall" and cite other issues (line of site, comes to mind).

Oooppss...did I say that? :p

This is why you claim the "reinstall" and cite other issues (line of site, comes to mind).

Oooppss...did I say that? :p
The catch is Dish arbitrarily refuses payment on every one. Our office people end up having to scrap with Dish to get them to pay.
In the mean time we have done the work and payment for said work is held until the company gets their money. I disagree with this practice as doing business with OPM(other people's money) but this is the system we work with..

I just had a dish network installer refuse to install the dish at my appartment because he said that he couldn't ground the dish. He said that I had to have a water heater with metal pipes in my storage area or he couldn't ground it. I asked him why he couldnt just drive a copper stake into the ground and ground off that, he said that dish would fire him if he did it.

Is this guy full of B/S and just doesn't want to do the job, or will dish really not let him install.

What can I do now to get my dish??

No he isn't. If he was a DNS tech, he would definently get in serious trouble. As of the start of this year, DNS has had a 100% ground policy. Some offices have been overriding the policy for appartments, as there is rarely any ground availible, but most have been sticking to it. As of now, that is the official DNS policy. The best thing for you to do is go through a retailer.

yeah he's full of it, dish is known for doing some pretty crappy installs, my dishes were never grounded so i had them come baxk out and do it for free of course

sounds like this installer is actually going by the book rather than just rigging it up as most dnsc installers do

DNSC installers generally arent allowed to do crappy installs. They fail 3 QCs in a rolling 6 month period and they're out the door. More than likely the installs you say were "rigged up" were done by retailers who are only held to their own standards not Dish's.

Dish and NEC require that all installed systems wether this is the first install or the technician is there on a service call or upgrade be grounded to an approved ground source and that ground source must itsself be atached and or grounded to the structures primary ground. If the installer were to pound in a ground rod that would not be considered an acceptable ground source as it is not connected to the structures primary ground until it is atached by way of a 6 gauge copper braid or solid core wire. The technician did the right thing by not installing your system where there is no acceptable grounding. Look at it like this, if say next week there is a thunderstorm and that dish is hit by lightning and the lightning has nowhere to go but down the coax into the dish receiver and then into the tv thats in your apartment then your not going to be a happy camper nor will the apartment management along with the other residents and the fire inspector or insurance agents when they find out that the system was not grounded.

One thing you have to understand about Stone is that he has had alot of problems with Dish, ask him about all the troubles he went through with having eight receivers.

Just a nitpick. Grounding a dish has nothing whatsoever to do with lightning. It's there to disperse static electricity that builds up on the dish and LNBF. If the dish is hit by lightning no amount of grounding is going to do anything. You're just plain screwed. The dish will be vaporised and likley half your house as well. A lightning strike carries enough power to light up a good sized city for a week. A 10 gauge wire isn't going to divert that.

Yes it is permissable to do a light or electrical outlet "pigtail" ground..

Unless this has changed as well it is not allowed by dish at all due to the inherint risk's involved with an installer messing with something he knows nothing about.

No he isn't. If he was a DNS tech, he would definently get in serious trouble. As of the start of this year, DNS has had a 100% ground policy. Some offices have been overriding the policy for appartments, as there is rarely any ground availible, but most have been sticking to it. As of now, that is the official DNS policy. The best thing for you to do is go through a retailer.
Dish has always had a policy of grounding, its up to the installer to follow it and up to the lower management to also follow it.
DNSC installers generally arent allowed to do crappy installs. They fail 3 QCs in a rolling 6 month period and they're out the door. More than likely the installs you say were "rigged up" were done by retailers who are only held to their own standards not Dish's.
Dish has always had a policy of doing the job right the first time but they have had to come up with very strict guidelines to enforce it as installers are doing less than stellar work. Part of this comes down on the upper managements fault at Dish as they are pushing the inhouse employee's to do bigger workloads and taking away more work from the subcontractors. Another part falls on the shoulders of lower management that the installers report to, every field service manager, installation manager and general manager that I reported to more than once had cleared me or told me to install systems without grounding, superdishes on roofs, highly questionable line of sites, pre existing rg59, no power, and one or no tv's in a multi room set up.

Just a nitpick. Grounding a dish has nothing whatsoever to do with lightning. It's there to disperse static electricity that builds up on the dish and LNBF. If the dish is hit by lightning no amount of grounding is going to do anything. You're just plain screwed. The dish will be vaporised and likley half your house as well. A lightning strike carries enough power to light up a good sized city for a week. A 10 gauge wire isn't going to divert that.
Yes it is to disperse static electricity but it is effective to a degrea in directing lighting to ground and is very effective at directing highpower line discharge to ground. I've seen a system take a hit from a highpower line falling on the dish and the charge followed the coax right to the ground block and into the ground, rest of the system was clean and worked once the coax was replaced along with the lnbfs. I've seen a dozen systems hit by lighting both directly and indirectly and some being grounded and others not. Its a mix of good and bad but all but two that were grounded actually functioned after basic repairs. What I had seen that surprised me was in one instance a set of coax lines had been buried 8ft deep after an old loading ramp on a farm had been back filled, lightning hit a tree about 10 ft away and it made contact with the buried coax and knocked out the whole system.

Here's what the GM pof the DNSC locval office told..Get the jobs done..Especially apartments. Do not leave an ap[atment job becuase there is no ground source. We will not be QC 'ing apartment jobs..We need the numbers on completion rates to go up.
Problem was too many apartment jobs were not being done because of the grounding issue....If there is a ground source I use it..Big note!!! I have found that mkst apartment mgmt companies DO NOT want the satellite system attached electrically to any part of the property..Fine by me...
Now, my theory on grounding....Anti litigation....Example...I install a satellite system. Lightening hits the house and it burns ot the ground..The homeowner looking for a payday discovers through their lawyer's advice the system is not gronded..Boom!!! Instant lawsuit...Lawsuit vs me ,my employer and dish network...If anyone doesn't think that would happen, fine...Don't ground your installs...BTW ground rods are a no no unles they are bonded to the house ground rod...We use them as an absolute last resort. At that point the customer is advsed and essentuilly signs off all liability against the tech and all others..This happend to me maybe three times in the 9 years where the house was not grounded to code and/or the house ground was not intact(old) or non existent...
Each DNSC office mgmt is different. Some will stick to the letter of the law, while others are flexible..It all comes down to completion rates.

Wah wah. DISH is mean!!!!

Just Took The Plunge and Signed Up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)