Installer refuses to peak dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nmstough

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
I had an installer come out for a new installation and after quickly aligning the slimline with a signal meter, he concluded that 75% was sufficient for the Ka satellites. This is for an HR21 receiver. \I asked him to peak the dish better, whereupon he refused and abruptly left without even asking for my signature approval on the install. He then activated the receivers on my account without my permission. I called the install company and they said they will not do anything because 75% is sufficient for my location in Southern California. Who is right here? What should I do?

I would make a comment to D* though about the activation without your consent and departure without your signature. 75% may be good enough, but that was not a professional approach to the situation. It might have been better if the installer had mentioned the 70% threshold.

I would make a comment to D* though about the activation without your consent and departure without your signature. 75% may be good enough, but that was not a professional approach to the situation. It might have been better if the installer had mentioned the 70% threshold.

Where there is a confrontation the tech isn't required to get a signature. Just leave the equipment and get out before it escalates.

Where there is a confrontation the tech isn't required to get a signature. Just leave the equipment and get out before it escalates.

If asking the tech to peak the dish a little better is a confrontation, good thing he didn't ask him to wipe his feet before he came in the house.:confused:

Only 75%?

Well there was no confrontation. I simply asked him to realign the dish better and he just departed without an explanation. My real question is whether in fact 75% is the best one can expect for the Ka satellites. When the receivers first came out I think this would be good, but after that I thought there was a software update that boosted the acceptable signal above 90%.

What are you doing being so close to the installer so he can't get his job done? Or making him so nervous that he just ... "leaves" ???

Nothing #$%^ 's me off more than to have someone hover and gawk and kibitz when I am working...

You probably didn't think about that, eh?

If asking the tech to peak the dish a little better is a confrontation, good thing he didn't ask him to wipe his feet before he came in the house.:confused:

Without knowing what *exactly* was said between the OP and the installer.....and *how* it was said, it's probably best to conclude the tech left under the premise that things were potentially going to get ugly and escalate.

IMO I'm pretty sure the entire exchange didn't go down as op said. Plus once again 75 is within specs even though it sucks.

Well there was no confrontation. I simply asked him to realign the dish better and he just departed without an explanation. My real question is whether in fact 75% is the best one can expect for the Ka satellites. When the receivers first came out I think this would be good, but after that I thought there was a software update that boosted the acceptable signal above 90%.

75% isn't great but unfortunately it is acceptable.
You can call the installation company and ask that the send someone out to do it again. That would be your best course of action.

Sorry.

You should have flashed the installer a $20. I bet he would have been happy to do it then.

Anytime I ask an installer to do something that I know is going to cost him more time, I alwyas back it up with some cash.

Lets face it, time is money.:up

What are you doing being so close to the installer so he can't get his job done? Or making him so nervous that he just ... "leaves" ???

Nothing #$%^ 's me off more than to have someone hover and gawk and kibitz when I am working...

It is HIS home and he is going to be commited to a 2 yr contract after the install. The customer has every right to observe and verify the install is to his satisfaction.

Personally, I would not accept the 70% as it will be prone to raid fade. If they cant/refuse to do better, i'd say no thanks and make him take his stuff and go home.

Some people always defend installers, they can do no wrong.

Last edited:

You're kidding, right? Any customer should verify the work they are having done is right and if it isn't, ask that it be corrected. If the installer can't deal with that, perhaps he has made a bad career choice!

You're kidding, right? Any customer should verify the work they are having done is right and if it isn't, ask that it be corrected. If the installer can't deal with that, perhaps he has made a bad career choice!
I completely agree. It's my house I put a lot of money in it why shouldn't I watch what's going on. All the contractors I have hired have had no problem with that.

I agree 100%. While I dont hover every second, I will, and have stayed close by to make sure the job is done to MY satisfaction. I am the one paying the bills. While 75% is the acceptable according to D*, it is not to me. I wouldnt want to lose signal that easily.

I dont know how the OP handled his particular situation, but I have never had a install tech balk at something as simple as a slight repoint during an install. If I were asking him something that required a vast amount of extra work, I would compensate him, but this is something pretty easy to do with the correct equipment. Should have taken 2 minutes. TOPS

I have installed E* with a friend who was a retailer. I would go and help him out to get the jobs done faster. He had more installes than time. He/I had no problem with someone watching the install. Always went out of the way to make sure the customer was happy. We not only would put in the sat, but would connect it to a sound system if they had one. Made sure the vcr and/or dvd players where connected right etc. We even fixed the convergence and color on a few rp hd tv's. He also carried a tv degausser in the truck to fix problems with older tv's. Always peaked the dish. Always. Customer service matters.

When I switched to Direct I watched the installer. Talked to him, gave him something to drink and even helped out where I could. Needless to say my dish is peaked. I have the high 90's. No rain fade. He was behind on his installs, but took the time to do it right because he cared and I treated him with the same respect I would want when doing an install.

WOW...

Would you allow a contractor to come to your house and put down carpet with a 70% reliability that the carpet was tacked down correctly and stretched, with a good potential for ripples down the road.

Installing anything is a customer service industry…

As a matter of fact when we bought our new washer the salesman told us a few things to verify with the delivery and install for balance.. As so it would not walk when it spun.

I am a PC Tech. so I know all about working with someone looking over your shoulder..

My DirecTV installer was happy for the assistance, especially since I had the house prewired for him.

What are you doing being so close to the installer so he can't get his job done?
It's his house! I'd never leave an installer alone ANYWHERE. I don't know him/her therefore I do not trust them. They can steal, leave the job half-assed. Add to that that there are certain things he is not allowed to fiddle with. No installer has ever hooked up my receivers, just wired up the dish outside, aligned, put out proper cables and I hooked up the receiver because the equipment is my Home Theater is probably more than what he makes in a year!

Or making him so nervous that he just ... "leaves" ???
He wasn't nervous, he was probably lazy! Seems to be common among SOME installers.

Sucks for you, but you gotta take it.

He probably did, he just didn't care. An installer is paid to do a job and do it correctly and professionally in a clients home. The client must supervise the installer to ensure the job is completed to their satisfaction. If you don't like that... tough find a new job.

As for the OT. I don't know about your area, but in mine I accepted nothing below 90. I didn't have any problems with the installer though, especially him walking out. If I were you I would raise some serious hell especially for the activation without approval. If need be file a complaint against the installer and installer company with the BBB.

I have installed E* with a friend who was a retailer. I would go and help him out to get the jobs done faster. He had more installes than time. He/I had no problem with someone watching the install. Always went out of the way to make sure the customer was happy. We not only would put in the sat, but would connect it to a sound system if they had one. Made sure the vcr and/or dvd players where connected right etc. We even fixed the convergence and color on a few rp hd tv's. He also carried a tv degausser in the truck to fix problems with older tv's. Always peaked the dish. Always. Customer service matters.

When I switched to Direct I watched the installer. Talked to him, gave him something to drink and even helped out where I could. Needless to say my dish is peaked. I have the high 90's. No rain fade. He was behind on his installs, but took the time to do it right because he cared and I treated him with the same respect I would want when doing an install.

That's the way it should be, but sadly some installers don't feel that way. My experience with the DirecTV installer was a positive one. He did the install, I helped out when needed, hell he even got fed. The only issue was with his call center because they activated me with spanish programming without him even giving them that info. He called said I have two units to activate, gave them the numbers, and the guy hung up on him. Next thing I know I got spanish channels only.

Dish on the other hand was not so positive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)