Installer tells me it's illegal to install my dish?!?! HELP!

nottechy

Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I was scheduled to have Dish Network installed today at my apartment. I stopped into the leasing office and got a permission form from them and their regulations on installation in my apartment unit.

Looking around the apartment complex I see MANY Dish Network dishes on people's patios. That's what gave me the idea to call them first.

Finally, the Dish Network subcontractors show up today, and the first thing the guy tells me is that he stopped by the leasing office to get the regs himself. That's fine, nothing wrong with that.

He goes out on my patio, takes a look around and I informed him that the leasing office told me to contact them if there were any problems with installation because they would send a maintenance man up to assist.

The man says, "No need. I know how they want me to install it."

He said something about them running the wires through the patio door because the apartment complex doesn't want any holes to be drilled.

I didn't see this as a problem as many other units have dishes and I've seen cables run through windows and all other manner of weird things.

Then he says, "It's illegal for me to do that," and looks at me as though I'm suppose to have an answer for him.

Then he says, "I can't do this. I'm going to have to reschedule." And he left. He doesn't give me any plan of action, no contact information, nothing.

So, I call Dish Network to see what's up. The lady I talk to says that according to her records on her computer my installation was canceled and I would have to start all over.

We went through the same long song and dance, and now I have to wait another week to have someone else come out hopefully to actually install the dish this time.

What's the deal? How is it illegal to install the dish in the necessary fashion when obviously many people in this complex have had no problem with their installation? How can I confirm or deny this individual's claims? I just want to make sure I'm not waisting my own or someone else's time.

Help.
:confused:

Last edited:
The deal is you got yet another bad tech who didnt want to do the install. There are flat cables made just for this purpose for windows and sliding doors so that no holes need to be drilled into the exterior walls. If you have a southern facing view there should be no no reason why you cant have dish. Your only option is to complain to dish about this and setup another appointment. Perhaps you can work out some free programming for your troubles.

easy there haus... E* HAD a rule against flat cable because it didnt pass 2100mhz.. it would burn out on dp equip.. now we have the better flat.. they may not

the new deal is no ground can't do the job

The deal is charlie will use ANY excuse not to pay. Therefore companies like the one I used to work for won't do any jobs that are doomed to fail QC from the outset.

No bucket mounts
No tripods
No flat cables
No running cables through doors or windows
No jobs that can't be grounded

We got shafted on chargebacks for enough illegitimate crap (like customer caused stuff)----There is NO WAY I would ever fault anyone for walking away from the opportunity to do a free install. Why should I give charlie a legit reason to keep my pay?

I do QCs now. To hell with installing. Directv told us not to even bother QCing an MDU, if you can believe that. They already know they are crap installs. :D

easy there haus... E* HAD a rule against flat cable because it didnt pass 2100mhz.. it would burn out on dp equip.. now we have the better flat.. they may not

Oh puh-leeze, you're gonna start telling me a 6' section of cable is going to "burn out"? Not trying to start anything again, but I cannot believe they actually had a rule about this.

Ahh yes they burn out. Not only would they burn out they would start fires.

I'm with you on that one. yes, i saw one my self was burned not charted but burned and it cosed a fire. i should of taking of picture of that when i was there i just didn't think about it then

yeah they used to indeed get hot enough to burn with the older model they had. However the newer model was DNS approved and we had them in our hubs over a year ago now. Never saw anything happen to them, even with DPP.

I was scheduled to have Dish Network installed today at my apartment. I stopped into the leasing office and got a permission form from them and their regulations on installation in my apartment unit.

Looking around the apartment complex I see MANY Dish Network dishes on people's patios. That's what gave me the idea to call them first.

Finally, the Dish Network subcontractors show up today, and the first thing the guy tells me is that he stopped by the leasing office to get the regs himself. That's fine, nothing wrong with that.

He goes out on my patio, takes a look around and I informed him that the leasing office told me to contact them if there were any problems with installation because they would send a maintenance man up to assist.

The man says, "No need. I know how they want me to install it."

He said something about them running the wires through the patio door because the apartment complex doesn't want any holes to be drilled.

I didn't see this as a problem as many other units have dishes and I've seen cables run through windows and all other manner of weird things.

Then he says, "It's illegal for me to do that," and looks at me as though I'm suppose to have an answer for him.

Then he says, "I can't do this. I'm going to have to reschedule." And he left. He doesn't give me any plan of action, no contact information, nothing.

So, I call Dish Network to see what's up. The lady I talk to says that according to her records on her computer my installation was canceled and I would have to start all over.

We went through the same long song and dance, and now I have to wait another week to have someone else come out hopefully to actually install the dish this time.

What's the deal? How is it illegal to install the dish in the necessary fashion when obviously many people in this complex have had no problem with their installation? How can I confirm or deny this individual's claims? I just want to make sure I'm not waisting my own or someone else's time.

Help.
:confused:
he may have disocovered he didn't have the flat cables needed to run cables under windows, thru doorways. Just a guess

dish got high frequency flat cables now. the new deal is no ground can't do the job
We have been told byt the local DNS offuice thast we are not to walk away from a doable apartment job because of no ground
We have aslo been told that apartment jobs rarely if ever ,get QC's..so few go in..And Dish hates non completes...They want those apartments jobs to get done if at all possible..I hate them...80% dont' go in...And 50% of the appartment complexes I go into are crime infested sh*t holes...

If the installer went to the management office first, then he did not want to do the installation period!

He was just hoping that the management office would tell him no so he would have an excuse to cancel out the Job, when he could not get that excuse, he came up with his own!

in my office we can only fix get them up and running but no new connects. Our quas goes there to make sure it is grounded if it is completed ( except Minneapolis:rolleyes::D)

Thanks for the help, but honestly, I didn't understand a third of what you guys were talking about. :eek:

What is a QC and what does that mean?

This guy said it was "ILLEGAL" not just "oh, I don't have the cable necessary" or "company policy says I can't do this unless I have access to the ground." He made it sound like he could be arrested or something for running cable through my patio.

And what does this mean?
The deal is charlie will use ANY excuse not to pay. Therefore companies like the one I used to work for won't do any jobs that are doomed to fail QC from the outset.

No bucket mounts
No tripods
No flat cables
No running cables through doors or windows
No jobs that can't be grounded

We got shafted on chargebacks for enough illegitimate crap (like customer caused stuff)----There is NO WAY I would ever fault anyone for walking away from the opportunity to do a free install. Why should I give charlie a legit reason to keep my pay?

I do QCs now. To hell with installing. Directv told us not to even bother QCing an MDU, if you can believe that. They already know they are crap installs.

Sorry, but I'm entirely new to this stuff.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

If the installer went to the management office first, then he did not want to do the installation period!

He was just hoping that the management office would tell him no so he would have an excuse to cancel out the Job, when he could not get that excuse, he came up with his own!
I always go to the Mgmt office first. Find out what they will let me do. Most times its the standard stuff. No drilling, dish in non common area, no attaching of cables, etc. If there's a a LOS I do the job. 9 times out of ten it's the LOS that kills the job.. There are apartment managment companies that forbid satellite antennas. I can do nothing about those. It's their property. The tenants sign their lease and still order systems. Nuts.
Anyway, I do what i can to get the job done. But with the roadblocks it is frustrating

Thanks for the help, but honestly, I didn't understand a third of what you guys were talking about. :eek:

What is a QC and what does that mean?

This guy said it was "ILLEGAL" not just "oh, I don't have the cable necessary" or "company policy says I can't do this unless I have access to the ground." He made it sound like he could be arrested or something for running cable through my patio.

And what does this mean?

Sorry, but I'm entirely new to this stuff.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

What this means is that the DNSC (Dish in house install group or sub contractors) has to live up to higher standards when it comes to installation. If just one thing is missed or done wrong the installer takes it in the shorts and loses money.

Go through a local retailer and you will have no problem getting it installed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts