Installer used my dish for neighbor's feed.

PhilAce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
Columbia, MO
I just moved recently to a new condo. I had my dish installed about 2 months ago. I just noticed yesterday that one of my neighbors is using the same dish that I had someone install. I don't really have a problem with that, but I am going to try to put in the EA dish tomorrow and see what happens. We are supposed to have our own dishes installed for our own service. I told the condo management about this, but they just thanked me for the update. I don't know exactly which neighbor this is b/c there are so many wires going so many places around the cable boxes. I would like to inform whoever is sharing my dish, but I don't know who it is since they are in the building next to me. What would you guys do?

I just moved recently to a new condo. I had my dish installed about 2 months ago. I just noticed yesterday that one of my neighbors is using the same dish that I had someone install. I don't really have a problem with that, but I am going to try to put in the EA dish tomorrow and see what happens. We are supposed to have our own dishes installed for our own service. I told the condo management about this, but they just thanked me for the update. I don't know exactly which neighbor this is b/c there are so many wires going so many places around the cable boxes. I would like to inform whoever is sharing my dish, but I don't know who it is since they are in the building next to me. What would you guys do?

Just let the installer know so he can put up a new mast for your EA dish, rather than take yours down. He can just snip your wire off the old Dish and your neighbor won't even notice.

If for some reason, you get a jerk for an installer and he treats it like it isn't his problem, later on during the install, make sure you get his name and company so you can give it to your neighbor if/when you hear about their service outage. If you can't get a name, a License Plate # should work.

Not saying you will likely have a problem... he has to put up struts anyway so mounting a new mast isn't that much more work than he already has to do.... just saying, in case he doesn't, you will have some helpful information to get it resolved.

Honestly I would not worry about your neighbor. If you are doing an upgrade Dish is going to want the old LNB back. Let your neighbor get his own dish. The installer for your neighbor should have never used an existing dish anyway.

Just let the installer know so he can put up a new mast for your EA dish, rather than take yours down. He can just snip your wire off the old Dish and your neighbor won't even notice.

The problem is I have to have my dish on a pole mount and right now I only have permission for a single dish. The installer I talked to when I had my dish originally installed said they don't have equipment to put 2 dishes on 1 pole.

Ahhhhhhh..... that explains a little more. Flip a coin all I can say... neighbor may just get a dish of their own because someone from what it sounds like being lazy with the pole mount.

The problem is I have to have my dish on a pole mount and right now I only have permission for a single dish. The installer I talked to when I had my dish originally installed said they don't have equipment to put 2 dishes on 1 pole.

In that case, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is on your portion of the property, there is nothing you can do..... the installer can hook your neighbor up to your new Dish if you like, but they are bound to have problems....they will need a Service Call.

....I don't know exactly which neighbor this is b/c there are so many wires going so many places around the cable boxes. I would like to inform whoever is sharing my dish, but I don't know who it is since they are in the building next to me. What would you guys do?
If you can reach it, (OK it's a pole mount) -go out and disconnect the other cable from YOUR dish...you'll find out who it is soon enough!:eek:

For all you know the neighbor hooked it up himself. :eek: Have the install do what he has to do and let your neighbor deal with it.

For all you know the neighbor hooked it up himself. :eek: Have the install do what he has to do and let your neighbor deal with it.

I saw a Dish tech out here about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it was just a lazy installer.

I feel bad for whichever neighbor it is, but I was the one who had to wait for a few hours to have them install my dish and pole. Actually there is another E* dish next to mine. Why did they hook it up to mine?:confused:

I saw a Dish tech out here about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it was just a lazy installer.

I feel bad for whichever neighbor it is, but I was the one who had to wait for a few hours to have them install my dish and pole. Actually there is another E* dish next to mine. Why did they hook it up to mine?:confused:

You probably had open outputs, the next dish might not have.

report the installer to Dish

No. Let the neighbor report it to Dish. Because if you (the OP) report it, it could come back against the tech who installed your system.

Letting the neighbor report it allows the problem to come back against the tech who installed your neighbor's system and took this shortcut.

Plus, if you report, Dish may want to charge you for a service call if you're outside your "free" warranty, but your neighbor is likely still within the time frame when any problems are fixed at no charge.

P. S. - If I write that his system is "infringing" on your system, will Greg Bimson immediately show-up and reply with a counterpoint that never freaking ends??

Yeah, the installer is out there right now putting in the EA. I informed my condo management again just so they would know. Why are some installers (theirs) so lazy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)