Installer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigpun334

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
Couple of questions

1. Anyone know how the St Louis e* installer is?
2. On e* website it says "One wall cable penetration" what does that mean?
3. Will they try to go through my plaster wall or through the floors?
4. If I request to go through the floors will they do it?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure all goes smoothly.

Thanks

You live in St. Louis itself or an outlying suburb? And do you have a basement with an open ceiling so you can see the floor above? If so, I always run cable into the basement and up through the floor, that's way easier than wrapping the house. Even if you have a crawl that's decent, that's still easier and probably the way they will do it.

as far as who would be installing it... that could be many different companies if you called the 1-800 number to set the thing up. What area do you live in? I install south of stl. Mostly south county (arnold area) down to Madison County (Fredericktown).
Most installers are going to be willing to do the install the way you want, as long as its not rediculously hard or time consuming to do.

Thanks for the responses. I do have an open ceiling on part of the basement the other part is drop ceiling. I live in South City. Thanks for the help.

E doesnt have any company installers in your area, there is a regional service provider there and some sub contractors.

One cable wall penetration means what it says but is rarely and I do mean rarely enforced.

It depends on your homes design really.

Again it depends on your homes design.

There are many factors that go into an install,

Location of house relative to any visual obstructions for the dish to aquaire a line of site(s) for the various satellites it will be looking at.

Design of the house is a huge factor, its easier to install on a single story as opposed to a three story built into a rocky hillside with a finished basement and a closet sized utility closet thats holding the furnace and hotwater tank.

Type of interior/exterior wall treatments, most installers wont touch a home with an adobe exterior because its chancey that it will crack bad. The older plaster walls over slatt boards in your great grandfathers home is another risky gamble and should only really be atempted by someone with experience and a really good drill bit and patience.

Most floors can be drilled except slabs and those with radiant infloor heating, I dont recommend having an installer drill through a tile floor as they will generaly only have standard wood and masonary bits and drilling through tile is risky for it to crack. If your house is old and I mean old in that it has rough hewn beams that were cut by hand to support the floors then drilling through that old oak floor is going to be rough as it is really hard and I have burned up brand new wood bits on floors like these.

Can anyone tell me how the dish is attached to the roof? The reason I ask is that their is an older dish on the roof which I want to remove, but I dont want water coming into the attic if I remove it.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me how the dish is attached to the roof? The reason I ask is that their is an older dish on the roof which I want to remove, but I dont want water coming into the attic if I remove it.

Thanks

there are a couple ways to mount the dish. Most of the time they are either mounted on a roof, wall, fascia, ect. And they just use Lag Bolts and screw into a rafter or stud. There are non-penetrating mounts, but they would not be installed as a "standard" installation.
Also, you could possibly have it installed on a pole, if you don't want it on the house.

If you remove the old dish on the house, you will have 4 or 5 screw holes from the lag bolts. Unless it is in a location that is really un-sightly, I usually remove the mast, put sealant in the holes, and then put the lag bolts back in the hole. Then seal the tops of the bolts. I've never had a problem with a removed dish location leaking...

birddoggy thanks for the responses. One last question, the splitter that the dish is connected into that send the signal to all the tv's can that be mounted inside the house? I just was a really clean install. birddoggy can you travel to the city to do my install?

Thanks

ha, unfortunately i just install part time nowadays... kind of as a hobby. And on the day or two a week that I am installing it is mostly Wildblue work.

But to kind of answer your question... yeah, most likely if there is any switch that needs to be installed, they could probably put it in the basement, and then run all of the lines from there.
Just make sure you address all of this stuff (going through the floor, mounting any switches inside, where you want the dish mounted, ect) with the installer as soon as he gets there. Just in case.

Does anyone know if you get a SD tuner for 2 tv's do both tv's hook up to box? So only 1 tv is really hooked up to the splitter from the dish and the 2nd tv is run from the box?

Also does the 2nd tv hook up via RG-6 or component?

Thanks

all tv's have to be connected to a receiver somewhere. Now they can use diplexers and backfeed and whatnot, but they all have to be connected to a receiver. The 2nd tv would be hooked up over RG6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)