Installers made a huge deal about everything so I sent them packing ... now what?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Installer did not call as promised .. now what?

I got an upgrade from Dish to a 622. I have a 508 system now. I told Dish that it would be unlikely if their "installer" would show up. Well, sure enough.

The installer did not call as required and I guess will be a no-show. I'm in a rural area but there are a lot of Dish receivers around.

If the installer is a no-show what can I do about it and can I get the equipment and fee myself to install it?

Advice please.

What was the time frame window you were given? 622 is HD...you getting HD service? New dish required.

Last edited:
I was told that I would get an install Friday (tomorrow) between noon and 5:00 PM. I was also told I would be called by the installer first ... have not heard anything and there is no way he can find the house!

Doing the install myself is not hard .. getting the equipment seems to be the trick!

I have the equipment and a meter. I installed this one after the idiot who finally showed up didn't even have a signal meter!

He will either be emailed the work order or he can access it by E-Connect or Sat Tracker.... Either way, He will get it tonight and sometimes depending on the dispatchers it may be too late to call. Sometimes the work orders get emailed so late I go to bed and don't look at them until morning.
By the way, He most likely has GPS so I'm sure he will find your home. Also he may not have a secondary number on the work order.

OK ... I got it now. Chill is ON!

This sure seems unfair to the installers! How the heck can they efficiently plan their work if dish only gives then a day lead time ... oh well.

That's happened to me that couple times. The installers get their orders the morning they show up to work.

I was supposed to get a 622 but when he checked his shelves, they were out so he brought me a 722k! Sometimes it works out to your advantage! They can't downgrade you but they can sure upgrade you and just call Dish and tell them tough, you should have stocked us better!

As the 622 has an OTA built into it, I pointed at my remaining cable and said, what do I do with this. He smiled, suppressing what he really wanted to say ;), went to his truck and handed me an OTA module. Said that 'he' couldn't put it in because it wasn't on the work order but if I looked at the back and the 2 screws I'd get the hint!

Sometimes you get a good one!

They showed up late ~ 4:00 PM to install the upgrade system.

First thing out of their mouth was oh god ... it's on the roof and a chimney. My chimney is 6' x 4' x 4' HUGE, block and brick and that is where the dish is now. They called Dish, a guy named Phil gave me a BS line and I told him he was nuts.

Next they started complaining about the ground and said they would have to run a whole new line back to the power box then back to the receiver???? I suggested cutting the line where it comes into the attic, putting the ground block on it and run the ground line alone back to the power box and the coax to the receiver .... electrically identical. Nope, can't do that! Called Dish again and "Phil" said it had to be to code ... electrically identical ... nuts again.

Then oh my god ... I have to drill a hole .. . can't I lay it on the roof and go in this vent instead! Finally I had enough and told them to leave.

So am I just screwed on this now? I'm not dealing with another one of these idiots and I have no way of knowing if I can get a good installer.

Who can I call other than the normal number which is a waste of time.

I might be of help, My IQ is 9.

I have no idea where you are located and any other info on your home except its brick and has a big chimney.......What receivers did you order?

A Dish installer MUST follow code or they will be back charged for the job. That means if they are a contractor & spend 8 hours on your home and then don't do it to code they will NOT be paid for the job. If they are "In-House" technicians and fail a "Quality Assurance" they will be written up......So it is imperative that they follow code.

"I suggested cutting the line where it comes into the attic, putting the ground block on it and run the ground line alone back to the power box and the coax to the receiver .... electrically identical. Nope, can't do that!"
If the cable is NOT RG6, They can't use it. If it is RG59 and they use it, They will FAIL inspection and your system will not last long.

"Then oh my god ... I have to drill a hole .. . can't I lay it on the roof and go in this vent instead! Finally I had enough and told them to leave."
I would not drill a hole in a roof, I use vents all of the time.

My guess is that they called the shop to get approval on doing something that was not up to code and the request and was denied.

These guys were doing as they were trained. There are a lot of things that they need to follow. I have cancelled jobs before because I could not do the job per NEC code. I felt bad for the customer but I can't do the job only to be back charged for the job.

"I'm not dealing with another one of these idiots"
I don't think calling them "Idiots" was very professional. They have a job to do and must follow the rules. If you sent them packing then you need to deal with it.

Last edited:
They showed up late ~ 4:00 PM to install the upgrade system..

What was your time frame? If it was a 12:00 to 5:00 PM time slot they were on time. "EDIT" Reading your other post you had a 12 - 5 appointment window. With your explanation that there was no way they could find you, it sounds like they were early to me :)

First thing out of their mouth was oh god ... it's on the roof and a chimney. My chimney is 6' x 4' x 4' HUGE, block and brick and that is where the dish is now. They called Dish, a guy named Phil gave me a BS line and I told him he was nuts. .

Dish no longer allows chimney mounts. If they show up for a service call and it is mounted on a chimney they have to remove it. Like others have stated above Dish has "STANDARDS" that have to be followed.

Next they started complaining about the ground and said they would have to run a whole new line back to the power box then back to the receiver???? I suggested cutting the line where it comes into the attic, putting the ground block on it and run the ground line alone back to the power box and the coax to the receiver .... electrically identical. Nope, can't do that! Called Dish again and "Phil" said it had to be to code ... electrically identical ... nuts again..

A ground wire can only be 25' max. If you electrical ground was more than that it does not meet NEC code. Also Dish will not allow a ground block up in a crazy place like the side of the house 10' in the air, it has to be as close to the ground point as possible.

Then oh my god ... I have to drill a hole .. . can't I lay it on the roof and go in this vent instead! Finally I had enough and told them to leave..

Not sure where the hole needed to be drilled. Over the roof is a grey area some allow it others don't, it depends on the area.

So am I just screwed on this now? I'm not dealing with another one of these idiots and I have no way of knowing if I can get a good installer.

Sounds like you should have let the installers do what they NEED to do. You probably have been flaged as a difficult customer, and may have a hard time getting any DNSC or RSP tech out there now. No retailer is going to want to do an upgrade because there is no money in it for them, unless you want to pay extra out of your pocket.

Last edited:
Now since I have seen your other post freaking out about the installer not calling you in advance. I would say you really need to chill.

The installer has to do his job the way Dish says it has to be done. You may want to call Dish and explain that you were unaware of some new procedures, and would like to get another appointment.

When the installer gets there let him do his job, and be happy when you have your HD.

They showed up late ~ 4:00 PM to install the upgrade system.

First thing out of their mouth was oh god ... it's on the roof and a chimney. My chimney is 6' x 4' x 4' HUGE, block and brick and that is where the dish is now. They called Dish, a guy named Phil gave me a BS line and I told him he was nuts.

Next they started complaining about the ground and said they would have to run a whole new line back to the power box then back to the receiver???? I suggested cutting the line where it comes into the attic, putting the ground block on it and run the ground line alone back to the power box and the coax to the receiver .... electrically identical. Nope, can't do that! Called Dish again and "Phil" said it had to be to code ... electrically identical ... nuts again.

Then oh my god ... I have to drill a hole .. . can't I lay it on the roof and go in this vent instead! Finally I had enough and told them to leave.

You see your problem is this: Your system was likely installed during a time when nothing got in the way of putting in a system (sure, you had the jobs that couldn't be done because of no line of sight.)

Unfortunately, now, "big brother in Denver" is "somewhat anal" about jobs being done to code and brought up to code. I could go into greater details that would cause your eyes to bleed from some of the insanity, but, best I don't do that.

You see your problem is this: Your system was likely installed during a time when nothing got in the way of putting in a system (sure, you had the jobs that couldn't be done because of no line of sight.)

Like back in the good old day's when dish sent a dish 300 and a 2800 receiver to the customer via UPS. Or Dish 500 with 2 duals and 2 SW21 switches............

Back then it was like... "Ground wire? what is that"....
Oh and metal staples......hahahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)