Is CBS HD always this bad?

fletchmath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Over this football season, the quality of broadcasts on CBS has been lots, lots, lots worse than other stations. Whether I'm looking at CBS OTA or on Dish, the picture looks very bad; motion causes lots of pixelation. ESPN, ABC, NBC, Fox, all look much better.

Is this usual, or is my local CBS affiliate (CBS 21, central PA) doing unspeakable things to the network feed?

I haven't noticed the same problem with non-sports TV, but that could simply be the nature of the content.

My local ota cbs channel 6 Beaumont- is one of the best for hd and sound. I use it over the DISH sat delivered CBS from Houston with all its artifacting.

If you have a tv with 60hrtz it will really pixelate during fast moving action.The newer tv's today have either 120 htz or 240 hrtz.This helps deal with the pixelation.I have an older sony bravia 52in and it is only 60hrtz.I do have to agree though CBS hd is not good especially for sports.Espn and ABC and FOX have the best picture to me.Correction CBS golf coverage is pretty decent though...

If you have a tv with 60hrtz it will really pixelate during fast moving action.The newer tv's today have either 120 htz or 240 hrtz.This helps deal with the pixelation.I have an older sony bravia 52in and it is only 60hrtz.I do have to agree though CBS hd is not good especially for sports.Espn and ABC and FOX have the best picture to me.Correction CBS golf coverage is pretty decent though...

The pixilation has nothing to do with the refresh rate (60hz vs 120hz) or the TV, it is a source issue.

That being said, CBS is typically looked at as having the best PQ of any channel, assuming you can get the full-bandwidth OTA signal. Unfortunately some cannot get this and the bit starved channel looks pretty bad, which sounds like the issue in this instance.

My CBS hd USE to be the best and my NBC hd USE to be the worse. No contest now. My NBC hd is the clear winner here. SNF on my NBC hd is twice as good than ESPN hd MNF.

Funny this was brought up as my brother and I were flashing between the ABC saturday night game and the CBS saturday night game this past weekend and he commented that the CBS HD was noticeably better and "easier on the eyes". I had to agree with him. Both were OTA via 722K and Panasonic 720P Plasma.

My local CBS station is also having this pixilation problem. For some reason it just pops up every once in a while.

With me it seems to be both on sat and OTA CBS and NBC.

It could also be caused by the heavy sunspot activity we have been having for the past couple of weeks.

My local CBS affiliate looks awful for football, but looks great for anything else in HD, especially prime time. On top of that my local station doesn't have any substations to share bandwidth with. Not sure what the problem is.

My local CBS affiliate looks awful for football, but looks great for anything else in HD, especially prime time. On top of that my local station doesn't have any substations to share bandwidth with. Not sure what the problem is.

That sounds like here. Other HD on CBS is OK, but the quality of FB broadcasts is horrible. There is one substation here, showing old TV. Other stations have one or two substations, and don't suffer this problem.

Like I said, the picture is bad via sat or OTA --- it isn't dish's fault.

Oh, and I can assure you, it isn't my TV. It's the source.

In my area it is definitely not Dish since everything else on Dish-CBS looks great, and the football looks bad even on OTA.

Also the problem probably goes fairly deep, since the majority of the CBS football games on the Red Zone look bad just like my local affiliate. Sometimes I will see a clip from certain areas that looks great from CBS, but it is mostly bad.

The human eye cannot distinguish above 34 Hz, so above this is irrelevant.

That is why I can tell an immediate difference between 48hz and 60hz, and can tell a smaller, yet still distinct difference between 60hz and 85 hz. Anything above 100 is virtually nonexistent to the naked eye. 34 hz is definitely wrong.

The average critical flicker frequency of the human eye is 34 Hz. For example, a fluorescent bulb running at 30 Hz will appear to flicker, while one running at the standard 60 Hz will look as if it is continuously on. So while your monitor set to 85 Hz will look clearer, motion will be no more or less blurred than a monitor set at 60 Hz. Clarity and motion blur are not synonymous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)