FOX is always in 1/2 HD...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

djbarci

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Hello all...

I just got my HD network locals a couple weeks ago here in Springfield, IL and all the other networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) all come in on full HD all the time.

However, my FOX local is in HD, but never is "full-screen" HD...ever! It has 2 black bars on the side of it kind of like when ESPN does half-as* HD too.

Does anyone know why this happening and why it's only FOX?

Thank you in advance...

Hello all...

I just got my HD network locals a couple weeks ago here in Springfield, IL and all the other networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) all come in on full HD all the time.

However, my FOX local is in HD, but never is "full-screen" HD...ever! It has 2 black bars on the side of it kind of like when ESPN does half-as* HD too.

Does anyone know why this happening and why it's only FOX?

Thank you in advance...

I am interested in your answer to the above question BUT its not "half HD" is called pillar boxing or the original aspect ratio of the broadcast program; and most all "HD channels" do this . Not all programming aired on a "HD channel" will be HD or 16x9 for that matter even when HD.

This is true, some of the oldest classics 'The Wizzard of OZ' / 'Gone with the Wind' are not only letter-boxed but also cropped in HD. It's still amazing how good they look off that old film in "HD".

So right now the Dodgers game (In 16x9 HD) has black bars on either side of the screen during the game broadcast?

Yes...the game is in Pillar-Box form. So was the Bears game last week too, along with the Dodger/Phillies game last night.

All of my other "Local HD" channels come in full 16x9, not Pillar-Box...ever from what I have seen.

Is this a problem with my local FOX affiliate?

I am interested in your answer to the above question BUT its not "half HD" is called pillar boxing or the original aspect ratio of the broadcast program; and most all "HD channels" do this . Not all programming aired on a "HD channel" will be HD or 16x9 for that matter even when HD.

Yeah...I am aware of this and totally get it, but my local FOX network is NEVER in 16x9 format.

The thing that kills me is that on my guide for my local FOX...it states HD! I guess my point is that I hate that all the other networks due full 16x9 HD w/out the Pillar-Box format. Only this stinking channel does this ALL THE TIME. I am sure others who have D* around the U.S. does not have the Dodgers game in Pillar-Box right now... And it has done this on several other sporting events or even shows I watch on FOX, it states HD, although is ALWAYS in Pillar form.

What is your affiliate's call sign? Maybe THEY have an issue and since they don't have the MLB game on correctly leads me to believe that as well. Have you tried calling them or checking their OTA digital broadcast?

Who should I contact when I call...I guess I mean who should I ask for in what department?

Thanks!

Yes...the game is in Pillar-Box form. So was the Bears game last week too, along with the Dodger/Phillies game last night.

All of my other "Local HD" channels come in full 16x9, not Pillar-Box...ever from what I have seen.

Is this a problem with my local FOX affiliate?

While not positive, I would guess that your not getting the Fox feed in HD.
Use your format option on that channel & try to stretch the baseball game currently on. While not a full proof method, if you can stretch the game to fill your screen your watching an SD version. Some SD broadcasts (CBS news Chicago) force the bars & cant be stretched even though they are in SD. MOST SD broadcasts can be mangled with the format button. If you had an antenna you could also test Fox via OTA & see what the local provider is broadcasting.

Who should I contact when I call...I guess I mean who should I ask for in what department?

Thanks!

I would try engineering or the program mgr. Or mention to reception that your HD broadcast of the MLB game is not displayed correctly and ask for asistance. Or try a buddy's home with OTA HD and ask if they are getting it correctly. Try to determine where the issue lies.

While not positive, I would guess that your not getting the Fox feed in HD.
Use your format option on that channel & try to stretch the baseball game currently on. While not a full proof method, if you can stretch the game to fill your screen your watching an SD version. Some SD broadcasts (CBS news Chicago) force the bars & cant be stretched even though they are in SD. MOST SD broadcasts can be mangled with the format button. If you had an antenna you could also test Fox via OTA & see what the local provider is broadcasting.

My format is set to 1080i and Original Format and it's still displaying in Pillar-Box form even after I toggled through the Formats...I just e-mailed FOX 55 WRSP and told them my issue.

It's really weird because this is the only network that NEVER has 16x9 programming, although my guide states HD.

I would try engineering or the program mgr. Or mention to reception that your HD broadcast of the MLB game is not displayed correctly and ask for asistance. Or try a buddy's home with OTA HD and ask if they are getting it correctly. Try to determine where the issue lies.

Okay...thank you for your help! I have no OTA Antenna so I can't check that, but hopefully I hear back from them this evening with an explanation.

I will post what they respond when I hear from them!

Thanks all for your help!

Cool and good luck. Maybe another user in your DMA will happen by and post. Another great time to check them (FOX) is during the NFL games on Sundays.

My format is set to 1080i and Original Format and it's still displaying in Pillar-Box form even after I toggled through the Formats...I just e-mailed FOX 55 WRSP and told them my issue.

It's really weird because this is the only network that NEVER has 16x9 programming, although my guide states HD.

Most of the primetime shows are national shows (HD) that are picked up by your local affiliate so it doesn't surprise me that the guide would say HD even if your affiliate didn't broadcast that way. Try switching the format from the preferred 1080i Original to 1080i stretch & see if it fills the screen. If it does fill the screen you already have your answer, your FOX affiliate hasn't caught up to the times yet.

If it does fill the screen you already have your answer, your FOX affiliate hasn't caught up to the times yet.

Ya....I think the FOX local for my demographic region is "old school!"

Sucks watching my Bears in Pillar-Box form! Oh well...they will eventually come up to speed huh?

It will probably switch to 16x9 in Feb 09 when they all go digital I would imagine!

Yea, & the Chicago HD spotbeam covers Springfield so if you "moved" for some reason you'd be getting all the channels in HD; though the news & such would be Chicago locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Green Screen

D*'s My Account feature down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)