installers

cobra55

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2005
ky
do installer's work in the rain? , not talking about sever weather , just off and on rain

Normally yes they will although it's their choice I suppose as to if they really want to as webbydude eluded to. They aren't going to do things though that jeopordize their safety. If it's raining hard, they probably aren't going to get on a roof or even ladder. If there is any chance of lightening, I doubt they will do much outside.

ok, thanks i'm expecting a dish install 7-27, and with that install scattered showers

I have worked in flooding rains and still got a signal strength in the 90's doing a free service call but most of the time I do not work in the rain if I can keep from it.

Question? My dish installer installed my dish on a nice sunny day and got a signal strength of about 100 on 119/110 and 85 i think on 105. but every time it rain not even a hard rain. I lost it for a little bit.. Do i need to have this checked?

CCMoor said:
Question? My dish installer installed my dish on a nice sunny day and got a signal strength of about 100 on 119/110 and 85 i think on 105. but every time it rain not even a hard rain. I lost it for a little bit.. Do i need to have this checked?
Ok, have you checked your signal strength lately. Check signal strengnth on transponders 11&12 on 110 and 119. On 105 tune to one of your local channels first then check the signal strength it will check the signal on the transponder you use for your locals. Signal for 110 and 119 on transponders 11&12 above 100 are ok. Previously you mentioned a signal of 85 on satellite location 105. That is a good signal depending on your location. If all signal strengnths are ok and even in a light rain you lose signal you may have a connection that is getting water in it. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Frank Jr. said:
Ok, have you checked your signal strength lately. Check signal strengnth on transponders 11&12 on 110 and 119. On 105 tune to one of your local channels first then check the signal strength it will check the signal for the transponder you use for your locals. Signal for 110 and 119 on transponders 11&12 above 100 are ok. Previously you mentioned a signal of 85 on satellite location 105. That is a good signal depending on your location. If all signal strengnths are ok and even in a light rain you lose signal you may have a connection that is getting water in it. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

I will check this tonight when I get home.. Thanks

rain sucks, but yup, i work in it, unless it's just really pouring, or lightning like crazy,

also, it's amazing to me how many customers expect you to still go ahead and keep installing even if it starts lightning, o well

Safety First, I install in the rain all the time the only reason is lighting or if your roof would be to slippery (slate, shake shingle or metal or the pitch of the roof is too steep) but the side of the house no problem as long as you can reach it with a ladder. Make sure everything is working and he gives you instructions on how to use the system and all the wiring is neat and clean before you sign your contract or a job completion work order.

CCMoor said:

I most definately would check fittings. An 85 on your 105 is really, really good in central Ohio (Columbus locals). On the average, the signal on the 105 is 70 to 75. Another possibility is the fact that the rain may be weighing down some tree branches or leaves, causing a signal blockage. Either way, if you're less than 90 days out from your initial install, I would call up Dish or the retailer who installed your system

An 85% is really really good signal strength from 105 anywhere in the U.S. seeing how it is an FSS satellite which is medium power instead of high power like 110 and 119 are.

cobra55 said:
do installer's work in the rain? , not talking about sever weather , just off and on rain

got my new install today cloudy but no rain, thank the lord the weather man
guessed wrong again

Frank Jr. said:
Ok, have you checked your signal strength lately. Check signal strengnth on transponders 11&12 on 110 and 119. On 105 tune to one of your local channels first then check the signal strength it will check the signal on the transponder you use for your locals. Signal for 110 and 119 on transponders 11&12 above 100 are ok. Previously you mentioned a signal of 85 on satellite location 105. That is a good signal depending on your location. If all signal strengnths are ok and even in a light rain you lose signal you may have a connection that is getting water in it. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Check System Last Night Was an nice clear day.. 119/110 was about 105 and 105 was only at 72. Is this good or could it be better?

Once again, for a SD in central Ohio, I'd say that was typical/bordering upon great. Strength doesn't seem to be your issue. Just to be safe, I would check your 105 on transponder 10 since that's where your locals should be coming in on

CCMoor, the signal strength that you have may be able to be 10% higher but with the signal strength you have, it is still excellent. You could get less signal strength by trying to adjust the satellite so I would leave it be.

Stargazer said:
CCMoor, the signal strength that you have may be able to be 10% higher but with the signal strength you have, it is still excellent. You could get less signal strength by trying to adjust the satellite so I would leave it be.

Thanks I will leave it alone.. Dont know that much about Dish that much so would have to call the installer anyway.. So far we have had Dish for 3 months now and like it..