Where Does Dish Get All These Incompetent Installers?

Are you making this statement based on your experience with one installer?
No this is one particular one, when I was with Dish before there were three or four that had to come out because of various problems over the time I was a sub, all but maybe one were as bad as this guy or worse.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Most of you posters do not even list or state where you live, so we have no idea where the bad or good service is. I have had nothing but good service from the Dish techs that have serviced my system. I believe the company is Satellites Unlimited. The local tech comes out of Chrestview, but I see on the leterhead that the company is in Birmingham, AL. Great Service, Good Company and sent out when you call Dish Directly for my area, which you can see from MY profile is Pensacola, FL(just South of Alabama), sometime know as LA(Lower Alabama), not Los Angeles.:biggrin2
PS This is based on many service calls over 14 years. MOst upgrades, not problems, but even the problem calls were serviced great.

You must be lucky with the office that Satellites Unlimited has that serves your area. The ones out of Tupelo are not good at all. Of course, all of that is not necessarily their fault, it is in a way, however, Dish and the RSP keep the wages low, make the hours long, and expect them to cram too many jobs in a day, so there is no wonder that service suffers. Obviously if the RSP and Dish were not so greedy and would "spread the wealth around a little bit" as Huey P. Long said, then they could attract higher qualified and more experienced people and attract a better employee. Of course, like our rates going down, that is NOT going to happen.

Most of you posters do not even list or state where you live, so we have no idea where the bad or good service is.
Nobody can with the new "site" format without accessing their Profile, in which it is somewhat hard to see.

Last edited:
This is a test to see if my location shows up in my signature

Yes it does. So if you want to add your location, make a signature and enter it there.

I just got new service 3 weeks ago and the original installer put the dish aimed at trees but he said it was good enough. Or I think that was what he was trying to say in the little bit of English he spoke. Of course we lose signal all the time with any clouds or rain. EA setup.

So they send another guy who says the dish needs to be moved. He takes it and moves it to a location where there is a 10 year old dish of questionable condition. It was a 3 LNB something. Throws the LNBs to the ground from 25' up smashing pieces all over. Says they are no good and the 119º sat is being turned off anyway. The pole for that one is screwed to the soffit fascia by 2 drywall screws and moves around a lot. He says it is fine. Never checks it for plumb. He uses all the old coax connectors and cables then splices 2 of them inside and 1 outside. Never caulks the hole. He has no stripper, just rips the jacket off the coax with old side cutters. He then splices some more pieces to existing cables in the basement using my stepladders as he did not have one.

He leaves the pole and all the cables from the 1st install just hanging outside on the house.

After all that the signal strength only improved from 40 to 44 on 61.5 sat. Within 3 hours of him leaving the clouds rolled in and the signal was gone.

I have lost signal more times in 3 weeks with this EA setup than with DTV in 5 years. Are the signals that weak on them?

Rant over.
This is going to become more commonplace as time passes. Dish has seen fit to cut pay pay rates for contractors and in turn those contractors cut the pay to their subs.
Dish in house techs are subject to micromanagement. Veteran techs are forced out as their pay rates and ranking increase.
On the contractor side, better techs, such as myself are leaving or have left the business.
Dish is a number company. That's all. The bean counters run the show. They come up with ways to improve the performance of the company stock and improve the bottom line.
All perfectly acceptable business practices except in cases where a company such as Dish is in the direct customer service business.
Then the bottom line only matters if the public is buying the product and is satisfied with the product.

Like I said earlier, being a technician is not a very sought after career. It can be very hard to find a good quality tech. The one we have now is pretty good but he has his moments. We also struggle at finding quality help for appliance deliveries and service.
The appliance delivery business is not just delivery. It's customer service. It's knowing how to properly care for a person's home as though it were your own. It's going over the top to make that customer believe they are the most important person that day. It's the little things. Oddly enough, the appliance delivery business is for low pay and high turnover.
If a company pays a guy $12 per hour with no hope of ever getting more than a 50 cents per hour yearly raise which the employer tries to make look like it's cause for a celebration, that firm is going to go through a virtual Conga line of people.
I cannot stand hearing "it's so hard to find good people"....That's not true. They are out there. The idea is to properly screen them in the interview process and if acceptable, hire them on at a probationary wage and status. Once they reach the end of probation ( 90 days is a good start) then re-interview them and if an agreement is reached, offer them a wage that will keep them there and offer them an incentive to do "extra mile" customer service.

The appliance delivery business is not just delivery. It's customer service. It's knowing how to properly care for a person's home as though it were your own. It's going over the top to make that customer believe they are the most important person that day. It's the little things. Oddly enough, the appliance delivery business is for low pay and high turnover.
If a company pays a guy $12 per hour with no hope of ever getting more than a 50 cents per hour yearly raise which the employer tries to make look like it's cause for a celebration, that firm is going to go through a virtual Conga line of people.
I cannot stand hearing "it's so hard to find good people"....That's not true. They are out there. The idea is to properly screen them in the interview process and if acceptable, hire them on at a probationary wage and status. Once they reach the end of probation ( 90 days is a good start) then re-interview them and if an agreement is reached, offer them a wage that will keep them there and offer them an incentive to do "extra mile" customer service.

Well I'm in a situation where we are in a smaller town. Our business gets busy in streaks and I can't afford to pay two men full time with benefits. Right now I have a full time man that does our service work and deliveries and we can keep him busy but having a second man is tough to keep busy full time. I do not need a second man on service calls. Currently we just have a part time helper and we pay him $15 and hour cash. I feel this is pretty substantial for the work being done.

Use a local installer, with satellite experience. Oops, can you spot my error in the pic?

Dishnetwork MONKEYS.jpg

Dishnetwork MONKEYS.jpg

Last edited:
Ex-installer here - it really depends on who you got and who pays them. Most installers are from RSP's or providers that are contracted from Dish and those RSP's don't pay their installers very well at all, mine sure as hell didn't. I don't know the whole situation either as the first visit as with the last could have been at odd pick up times perhaps when the installers were ready to go home and got a "DROP IN" so they were already pissed at the world. This type of stuff happens alot to guys out in the field that are already run to death to start with. Average tech can normally do about a 60Unit day... many guys in my old office were being pushed to well over 80 sometimes 100 Each day! Spread that over 200-300 miles of drive time and you may as well kiss any life you have afterward good bye. I really enjoyed my work and did good work too as did many other guys in the office but you have to understand that the revolving door is super fast in this industry and it is mostly Dish/Direct to blame. Dish has such horrible metrics for guys to hit all of which are out of the techs control that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't each and every day!

Sorry for the trouble but till the SatCo's start paying techs more and treating them better as in not working them to death (Ohh they are all 365day all year long jobs so you get forced to work holidays most of the time) then the service won't get any better unless you get someone in a good mood and perhaps early in the morning when their schedule is light and they have a hope of having some life after work.

rant over.... I could go on and on and on but many here are prob tired of reading em

Reactions: dallasbradshawdns

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)