installing a 3rd Hopper?

356B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Northern California
Apologies, I believe this has been discussed but is there a diagram or good post concerning the specifics of installing a 3 Hopper system? I did a search but struck out.

Thank you, that's one of the best I found too. I was looking more for a diagram of the wiring nodes used and placement, etc. I'm more visual, pictures.

Sorry I don't have a diagram, but basically:

- You'll need 3 lines from a 1k.4 or 1k.2 dish to a dpp44 switch
- from the dpp 44 you need 3 lines to a dpp33 or another dpp44
- output 1 of the dpp44s gets connected to the power inserter only
- from there, you need a duo node and a solo node or 3 solo nodes
- the nodes get the necessary number of of feeds from the switches
- hoppers on the host ports of the nodes
- joeys, nodes and hic are all combined on the client ports

Per PM Request :-

3HaloODST 3 Hopper Config.jpg

My 3 Hopper setup with 2 Joeys. Note that Ethernet/Wireless connections are not shown. Also note, that I use nothing but RG6. RG59 may work for the MoCA (CLIENT ports,) however I do wonder if it could cause issues with large numbers of devices.

Hope this helps :) .

Last edited:
Could you use 2 Duo nodes rather than a Duo and a Single, and then attach Joeys to the 2nd client port on Duo Node #2?

Client lines can be rg59 unless you are using 2 taps.

We have had more issues out of duo nodes than solo nodes, so I would suggest using a solo node unless you plan to add a 4th hopper. You can use 3-way splitters, so long as you only have 2 devices between any hopper and Joey not including the node.

Dish doesn't allow for 4 Hoppers (on the same account.) For 3 Hoppers I would recommend the Duo + Solo and just use splitters/taps for the extra Joeys. As was previously stated, you need ALL RG6 if 2 taps are used.

I just had 3RD Hopper and 1 joey added. My house has an inlaw apt for my parents so we have a lot of TVs. 3 TV's connected in the inlaw. 5 tvs on my end. The inlaw has 1 hopper and 2 joeys. My house now has 2 hoppers and 3 joeys (1 hopper has 2 joeys connected to it, and the other hopper has 1 joey). It all works ok, but the 3rd hopper is on it's own island with the new joey. in other words only the 2 original hoppers and 4 original joeys can "see" each other. the new hopper and joey added are not part of the original network. I would like them all to be able to see each other so I can access content on all 3 dvrs if possible. I am not sure if there is a way. Right now I have 2 dual nodes and 2 dp44s connecting everything together.

I have read that you need to put a jumper between a client port on each node connecting them together, but I do not have a free client port on one of the nodes in the current setup. The original 2 hoppers and 4 joeys take up all the ports on one of the nodes. The other dual node has a free client and host port. Would it work to change one of the dual splitters connected to one set 2 joeys into a tri-splitter and then use the new open connection on the tri splitter to connect to the client port on the other node? In other words instead of jumping directly to the client port, jumping into a tri-splitter connected to the client port that has 2 joeys as well?

You could use the three-way splitter then connect the Joeys to the splitter, freeing up the client port then use a jumper cable between the two nodes. A Solo Node would be more ideal for the third Hopper but with the Duo Node at least you're prepared for a fourth Hopper if you ever wanted it. Make sure you have 75-ohm terminators on all unused node/splitter ports and good RG6 on all receivers with decent compression connectors on all ends. Also make sure any unnecessary splitters are taken out and that the necessary splitters are of good quality.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I'll tell ya, if I ever had to install a 3rd hopper I'd prob install another dish would would make things 10x easier and not involve any switches just the duo and solo nodes.
Sure it would look a little weird but no more weird than a EA.4 with a 110 wing dish or whatever. I could make them look really pretty sitting beside each other and perhaps add xmas lights around them!

I'll tell ya, if I ever had to install a 3rd hopper I'd prob install another dish would would make things 10x easier and not involve any switches just the duo and solo nodes.
Sure it would look a little weird but no more weird than a EA.4 with a 110 wing dish or whatever. I could make them look really pretty sitting beside each other and perhaps add xmas lights around them!

Yep, that would look pretty cool with two dishes. But, I don't see how it would be 10x easier!

Yep, that would look pretty cool with two dishes. But, I don't see how it would be 10x easier!

No switches to install - no jumper lines between switches to wire up - no power inserter to find a power source for (use less power with none used). You could wire it up between nodes as the diagram posted showed too so they would talk to each other.

No switches to install - no jumper lines between switches to wire up - no power inserter to find a power source for (use less power with none used). You could wire it up between nodes as the diagram posted showed too so they would talk to each other.

Here is my setup. I have my wing dish disconnected.

Attachments

• HopperDiagram-PriJPEG.jpg
    HopperDiagram-PriJPEG.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 412

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts