Installing Joeys using Cat 5 instead of Coax

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have put off getting the Hopper due to difficulty getting coax to the areas I need it. The current coax is shared and I know that the Hopper needs a dedicated cable. I have been waiting for a network option. It sounds like using wifi could bog down the wifi traffic unless you add a second wifi router and use a different channel than the other router. What about powerline? I would imagine it is not the cleanest way to transmit the signal. I am using Powerline with my Bluray player and it streams Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon just fine.
Hoppers will never have a network instead of coax option, too much bandwidth required for the satellite signals. Joeys work now over a network or WiFi.

Cat 5 and wifi might actually work, but it isn't an approved connection. The thing about using coax is it creates a separate network for the video to use that will not disrupt any other traffic on your Ethernet/wireless network. I used a Joey on wireless for a bit and it really bogged down my wireless network.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Exactly. It does work well on CAT 5, but unless you have a good router, it's noisy as hell on your network. Its best to keep it on coax if at all possible.

Exactly. It does work well on CAT 5, but unless you have a good router, it's noisy as hell on your network. Its best to keep it on coax if at all possible.
Folks keep saying that, but for a wired, switched network it is not going to impact any other endpoints. Wireless is a different story, with issues of it's own.

Do you mean you can only use Powerline's in pairs? I thought I read that you only need one Powerline at the router and you can have more than one in other rooms.
The confusion here is that with the VIP receivers, powerline ethernet was built into the receiver, all you had to do is plug it into the wall. You could then use a singe adapter at the router end to achieve connectivity.

Hopper does not have powerline ethernet built in, but there is no problem using powerline adapters to connect the hopper. The difference from VIP is you will need an adapter at the both ends (receiver and router). You can have as many adapters in the as is supported by power over ethernet product you are using and are not linited to "just two." You don't need "dedicated pairs" for each device, just one adapter at each location.

For Hoppers, the HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) replaced the Ppwerline adapter used with VIP receivers. One HIC connected to your wired network or router gives internet connectivity to all Hoppers and Joeys over the coax cables.

The HIC can also be used in reverse to provide Ethernet connectivity at any Hopper/Joey location.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Yo use the joeys wirelessly use a dedicated router just for that system. Connect ethernet from one of the hopper ethernet ports to the router input. Connect joeys using wireless adapters.

Side note, I think the joeys have to be installed using coax and will not recognize wireless adapter UPnP.

Yo use the joeys wirelessly use a dedicated router just for that system. Connect ethernet from one of the hopper ethernet ports to the router input. Connect joeys using wireless adapters.

Side note, I think the joeys have to be installed using coax and will not recognize wireless adapter UPnP.

Yes, I would never run the WL or Lan setup up directly mixed with the rest of the network, it can slow down your internet and intermittent joey issues. I learned this the hard way with the U-verse setup I used to have that uses multicast/IGMP - bombarding every port with video traffic.

I ran extra coaxes to the joeys (modulate to extra TV's) so I went back to MOCA instead of ethernet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts