Insurance, worth the price?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DishnetTT

Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
I just got my 2 x 810 and 1 x 510 last weekend and still at learning stage.

I was wondering if it is worth to get the $5 insurance. How often do these receivers break down?

I never bought any insurance for my other AV equipments because I know they last for long time. However, I am not so sure about these receivers as I have already experienced the infamous BSOD within 2 days.

Cheers,

I wouldn't. You lease your recievers. Any time they break you get a free replacement sent to you with a prepaid shipping label to return it.

You have a 90 day installation warranty. After that you're obliged to pay for any service calls. You can pay $99 each for a tech or get the $5.99/month payment and pay $29 for each service call.

9 months x $5.99 = $53.91 + $29 = $82.91. You saved $17 provided you drop the plan after the problem is fixed. Chances are you won't and your savings whittle away. The next 90 more days from the last service call is under warranty.

So in order for you to really save money in this DHPP is if you have more than one service call in one year that are more than 3 months apart. Other than that you might as well forget the plan and pay $99 IF you need to.

So look at your installation... are there trees close to your line of sight? was it shoddily done? Do you really need the protection? Chances are you won't and you'll be paying for a false peace of mind warranty.

another DISH sub who has a 721 told me that it is his interpretation that the $5.99/mo warranty fee applies to EVERY receiver on the account. Is that fact? I am "grandfathered" in the $1.99 monthly charge. Before adding the warranty I added another 721 to my home. My question is, are BOTH of my 721's covered by my $1.99 monthly charge?

if you are not a dha customer, the $5.99 dhpp warranty will cover all of your dish equipment on the acct, will be no charge for shipping, and you can get a discounted service call for $29 after your initial installation/service call expires. the standard dha warranty will only cover the equipment for as long as you have it. you will still have to pay for s&h if the reciever breaks down & will have to pay the full $99 service call after the 90 day period. but you can add on the dhpp warranty at any time & the warranty will take effect as soon as you add it on. if you have the $1.99 warranty, hang on to it since its no longer offered. the only downfall is it doesnt cover s&h either & would not give any discount towards a service call since its strictly a warranty for the equipment. if you do decide to add on the dhpp for a service call disclount, the $1.99 warranty would not be able to be added back on.

I still got my $1.99 warranty and it is worth it. Even at $5.99 it may be worth it if you have some DVR's espeically the 721 or 921.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts