Integration with Amazon FireTV

doiron

Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Atlanta
Any ideas about how I could integrate my FTA satellite system with Amazon FireTV?

In the antenna TV world, great solutions exist for IPTV such as TabloTV, Amazon Fire Recast, etc.
Does a similar solution exist for FTA SAT?

My goal is to avoid having to use the TV remote to switch inputs.

Thanks!
Jason

Any ideas about how I could integrate my FTA satellite system with Amazon FireTV?

In the antenna TV world, great solutions exist for IPTV such as TabloTV, Amazon Fire Recast, etc.
Does a similar solution exist for FTA SAT?

My goal is to avoid having to use the TV remote to switch inputs.

Thanks!
Jason
I'm not sure there is anything out there to meld the two together but a harmony remote would accomplish everything you are looking for or possibly the use of CEC.

Reactions: doiron
I'm not sure there is anything out there to meld the two together but a harmony remote would accomplish everything you are looking for or possibly the use of CEC.
Good idea. That's what I use to integrate a Fire Stick, DirecTV, OTA, and a Bose soundbar into one remote.

I haven't tried it but theoretically you should be able to stream from DVB receiver to FireTV if receiver supports Sat>IP. You might head over to the FTA subforum.

I think mr3p has come the closest to a direct answer to the question. Most satellite receivers are designed to put out video signals of one or more types and that's not something you can use with a streamer. You could feed it to an encoder but good encoders aren't cheap and the software tends to be oriented towards recording rather than putting a stream onto the network (unless you set up a media server).

A problem with FTA receivers is that they aren't often well supported by cheap universal remotes. As an example, all Harmony remotes can control the Edison OS Mio receivers but starting at $50, they're not cheap. The FireTV remote can't do IR to fully control either a TV or a satellite receiver. Most FTA receiver remotes only control the receiver itself and a TV and I haven't seen an FTA receiver that claims CEC capability.

I agree with Bobby that the answer to the problem lies in getting something that will push all the buttons on your behalf as well as controlling the FireTV. I use a Harmony Companion with an old A/V receiver to handle all of my video routing. The remote/hub combo can control up to six devices (including those that use Wi-fi and Bluetooth).

Reactions: FTA4PA and doiron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)