Interested in setting up a Dish Network setup (total noob)

thebluecoat

Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Albany, New York
Hello All!

I was referred to come here by my friend who just set up his dish network himself (I helped!) it was a lot of fun and also extremely challenging for first timers. The ultimate result was due to trees it was quite difficult connecting to 110,119,129W so we wound up making a connection to a canadian sattelite called bellevueexpress or something like that. A two man set-up allowed us to read signals from the receiver and relay it back to the man adjusting the dish, along with a satellite finder in-between.

I have a couple of questions regarding my location, if it's suitable for western arc, or if I'd have to use eastern arch. I'm interested in purchasing his same dish (dish 1000.2 pro hd) 119,129,110. I took a picture using an app he had called dishpointer pro, but the satellites seem to jiggle around quite a lot to the point where it seems i have clear LOS, and then I have trees blocking. So I wound up using dishpointer dot com and it seems like it points right into the trees from my backyard (doing it on a roof will not clear the trees I think) or will it?.

Untitled.jpg

Can I have some opinions on this? I'd be okay with 2/3 sats, and if its not okay, would you recommend eastern arc?

I can't exactly give you an answer but you do need a full ARC. If your locals are on the Eastern Arc keep in mind those satellites are much higher in the sky and easier to see.

But all that is possibly irrelevant. Unless you are planning to buy all the equipment yourself (don't) then Dish will install it and give a good deal as a new customer.

I can't exactly give you an answer but you do need a full ARC. If your locals are on the Eastern Arc keep in mind those satellites are much higher in the sky and easier to see.

But all that is possibly irrelevant. Unless you are planning to buy all the equipment yourself (don't) then Dish will install it and give a good deal as a new customer.

How do I know if my locals are on the eastern arc?

How do I know if my locals are on the eastern arc?
Use the below link to find out what stations are carried on which satellite:

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Subscription List

The below is based on the assumption that you want both HD and SD capabilities. (If SD only the solution is easier.)

You only need to look at the WA sats. (110, 119, 129) and the EA sats. (61.5, 72.7, 77.0).

I have a similar problem here in central PA. My local HD stations (Johnstown Altoona DMA) are on 129 (WA only) and from my location the elevation is only ~20 deg. off horizon, so I also have tree issues. I use a separate wing dish on my roof to receive 129 and even then I had to do some "carving-out" of my trees to provide a useful LOS (line of sight). I still have issues when the leaves are on the trees and the wind is blowing and/or it's raining hard. The Dish installer was reluctant to even try the 129 installation but I talked him into it and it worked - marginally - until I got the trees trimmed. In general I'm satisfied with the performance of 129 to my location but it's not perfect. YMMV...

Also - remember that the angle of the dish axis is not what matters, it's the offset angle of incidence. I forget what that is (also 20 deg.?). My 129 dish looks like it's pointing parallel to or even slightly into the ground!

Last edited:
Your HD channels are all on 61.5 and the SD channels are on 110. If you have HD TVs, or are going to get one soon, go for Eastern Arc.

Well the answer seems to be eastern arc, but then the thing is the MONEY difference.

Aquiring a STB with the capability to receive mpg4 channels is within the 300 dollar range versus the 89-150 range. So there's absolutely no way that I could use western arc?

Well the answer seems to be eastern arc, but then the thing is the MONEY difference.

Aquiring a STB with the capability to receive mpg4 channels is within the 300 dollar range versus the 89-150 range. So there's absolutely no way that I could use western arc?

Because using the "obstacle obstruction" tool, if i put it over the trees, it says the maximum height the obstacle can have without blocking the LOS in my case would be 37.2. So if I got on top of the roof, that would only add an additional maybe 16 feet. I did notice however that if I drop the satellite on my front lawn I think I could easily get itUntitled-1.jpg

If you have NLOS to any of the Western Arc satellites, I would strongly recommend going with eastern arc (you'll be missing channels if you can't get all 3 WA sats). Also, the Albany, NY HD locals only come off satellite 61.5, so you would not get them in HD with the western arc setup

I second this. I know that many users here own their own equipment, but IIRC the monthly bill is the same owned or leased. You would have to sign a 2 year commitment, but I figure that is worth not having to pay for receivers that have a limited shelf life anyway. And Dish will install the equipment for you.

Yes, Dish will GIVE you (they still own, but NO MONEY SAVED by owning the boxes) those expensive HD boxes or allow you to add additional boxes at a steep discount from the retail up to a limit, then if you want any more boxes, you will have to pay full retail. Going through Dish and getting the freebies would be the way to go for now. Please, allow one of the DIRT folks to PM you and see what the latest deals are for new Dish customers, and then weigh your options.

Do you really want to have "FUN" installing yourself or are you trying to hide something?

DISH providing the equipment is cheaper than buying and picture quality and cost are the same leased or owned.

Why are you set on buying equipment? AFAIK, there is no real benefit from owning. I lease both my receiver, 722 & 211. Have Dish install your system. The tech will find the best place to mount the Dish. There should be little or no cost and you may be able to get a promo. PM Matt, he works for Dish. See what he can set up for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)