Interesting conversation w/CSR on customer retention....

david4455

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
This may have been discussed ad nauseum here but I for one am very frustrated at the lack of "consideration" Dish gives their long-time loyal customers....New customers have so many more options then we ( I have been w/them for 9 years) for reasonably priced equipment and upgrades.... I am totally turned off by the $800 price tag for the 942....and I just got a new HD TV so I am ready!.....

Anyway...I had a tech issue this morning and the CSR noticed my longevity with DN and thanked me for be a longstanding loyal customer.... she went on to say that if I ever want to upgrade or get new equipment I should always ask for a CS advisor..... Evidently they are trained to retain desenting and fleeing Dish clients and they are empowered to offer much better retention deals than the regular CSR... this may be old news to you all... but next time I am considering an upgrade or changing companies I will call and ask for such a "advisor"....

long_time_DNC said:
Write a nice email to ceo@echostar.com and tell them you've been with them for 9 years and would like a decent price on upgrading to a 942. I got mine that way for $250.

Should I do that now or wait till the next generation 4mpegs come out?

Yeah, and if I was you I would wait until after CES to see what they say about the 622.

long_time_DNC said:
I agree...but if it works, what do you do? :confused:
My point is not against the customer, it is against dish network. I would expect the customer to do what they have to to get a good deal. My point is that dish network should not be doing this to their long time customers. The customer should not have email CEO or whatever to get the lease upgrade on a 942.

Texanmutt said:
My point is not against the customer, it is against dish network. I would expect the customer to do what they have to to get a good deal. My point is that dish network should not be doing this to their long time customers. The customer should not have email CEO or whatever to get the lease upgrade on a 942.
I agree completely. I've been with them 8-9 years and I don't think I should've had to pay $250 to get a 942, but when your options are to go back to lousy cable or ask nice to lease a 942, I opted to ask nice.

Has anyone tried emailing / calling them since the Dish announcments at CES ? Just curious what they've been saying to any pissed off 942 owners / leasee's that are worried about having to wait in line for a 622 until after all the new customers are taken care of.

my fiance's sister had a bad dealing with a CSR that she was overcharged for 14 months for a lease of a receiver she didn't have and they wouldn't refund her except for $20. She threatened to quit and the CSR didn't patch her to Retention, but hung up. She's going to dump the dish for cable shortly.

KimmiKat said:
my fiance's sister had a bad dealing with a CSR that she was overcharged for 14 months for a lease of a receiver she didn't have and they wouldn't refund her except for $20. She threatened to quit and the CSR didn't patch her to Retention, but hung up. She's going to dump the dish for cable shortly.
I haven't work at Dish, but I did work at a call center, and during training they specifically mentioned the difference between "threatening to cancel" and actually requesting to cancel. If someone said something like "if you do that, I'm going to cancel" then we weren't supposed to do anything (however we were also never supposed to just hang up on someone). But if you actually said "OK I'd like to cancel now" then we were supposed to transfer them to the retention department.

Also, the call center I worked at was open 24/7 but the retention department was open limited hours, so if they wanted to cancel after hours we were authorized to make limited retention offers if we wanted to, or just cancel their account on the spot. Remember, these are probably temps, and don't really care if you cancel or not. I considered myself a good employee, but at the end of the day I didn't REALLY care if someone canceled or not. I didn't want them to cancel because of something I did, but if it was something out of my control then if they wanted to cancel it was fine with me.

long_time_DNC said:
I agree completely. I've been with them 8-9 years and I don't think I should've had to pay $250 to get a 942, but when your options are to go back to lousy cable or ask nice to lease a 942, I opted to ask nice.

The $250 lease upgrade is very reasonable. Dish just needs to to offer to long time customers, rather than making them buy it for $500 or whatever it is. When you do the math the $250 is cheaper. Cable wants $20 bucks a month for a HD DVR, but dish only wants $5 a month (once you get past the $250).

Cable
$20 a month
$240 a year
$480 after 2 years

Dish
$5 a month
$60 a year
$120 after 2 years
+250 lease upgrade
$370 after 2 years

As you can see cable screws you harder over a longer time period. Dish just screws you up front and a little less.

I was a happy customer for about eight years, Then I called up to get a superdish for my local channels :Long Story: they screwed up the install. The CSR offered to upgrade my 508 to a 510 I told her send it out when they repaired the installation.
When I got my next bill I had to call back to find out about extra charges. Well the first csr never told me i was leasing the 510 so they were charging me $5 for protection insurance and another $5 for the pvr to work on a 510. So I told them to give me back my 508 which I paid for and she said they dont carry the 508! They stuck me with that 510 :mad: :mad: I told Dish Network to screw it and to get their equipment out of my house. I am now a happy customer again but with Comcast cable. :) :hungry:

Ya know, if switching to cable does the trick for those with problems good for them. Adding cable back to our utilities list has done nothing but ADD problems, and the company in question (comcast) has been nothing but a pain in the ass about them.

They have been easy on crediting (sometimes even more than I asked for), but that was about the only thing I could say was good -- every mistake they made I had to ask to be corrected, and there were many in the beginning. Then there was the installers -- I had like 9 appointments and only 3 times did anyone ever come to my house, once to initially come and install (guy said he couldn't do anything but drop off boxes after I made an order stating I'd need a cable line installed), 2nd one for new people to "talk to their manager and send the first guy back out", and then a 3rd guy (unrelated) that came unscheduled by surprise to install the line I asked for at $20 -- not bad at all, still rather irritating that there were so many failed appointments.

Then comes their pricing. $40 for internet and cable (comes to about $48 I believe), for a year (it'll probably expire in 6 months and jack up) -- okay, that's just for newbies. We dropped them after being customers of the local cable monopoly under who knows what since the late 80s and never once got offered anything but the standard rates (about the same for just extended basic cable).

Tried the digital when I had to give up my DSL (couldn't renew the contract didn't have a year to commit), and it was horrible. The boxes were really dated even compared to E* (never mind D*), and their suggestion to get replacements was to "go to to local office" -- not quite as convenient as swapping through the mail sometimes.

What does this have to do with the OP's post? Not much, just chiming in on that derailment that happened to be honest. Some people seem to be under the impression cable is this awesome value compared to E* -- maybe it is for them. At a point in time where I'm using a computer interface of some sort to work something more than ever, I want it to be as pleasant an experience as possible.

Why am I not using D* then? Can't justify the extra cost to have a box on every TV (dual tuners really save your butt sometimes), and the way we channel surf and such the dish boxes do pretty darn well anyway. [At the rate the AT60 keeps going up I'll be able to afford the switch to RightyTV though] .. oh yeah there's that thing about News Corp too..

Some people -- no, many people, don't really care. I don't come across that many people who'd tell you that the driving experience of a car itself is more important than specs, reputation, price, etc. Shoot, most people use Windows, need I say more? Ask them if they care what their computer interface is like -- all they'll be complaining about is how they do this and that and for some unexplainable reason their machine gets (*#$&$ed after a few months.

*adds more random observation* Just earlier today.. erm yesterday haven't gone to bed yet, these people moved in down the street and forewent the previous owner's directv setup for comcast (noticed the truck there) -- they were still moving in too so I suppose it was one of their utilities *cough* hehe. They didn't even bother considering an alternative.

That's people these days. Being on the flip side of things a lot -- how about it?

When was the last time you considered buying a Mac when you went to buy a computer? When was the last time you considered "domestics" or a German car the last time you bought your car from a company most likely with a name ending in A or I. When was the last time you moved and signed up for *insert TV service here* without looking at alternatives?

You're posting on SatelliteGuys (and I'm sure many will disagree with my part about Macs and maybe even the thing about German cars, I couldn't give a damn to be honest but they were great examples of sorts) -- so you're already in the minority. Just curious, but do any of you guys pay for DishNet or DirecTV (or both) because of OTHER reasons besides channels per price?

Can't say I dig the company much though, but with content providers (tv, internet, etc) I try to make sure I'm going to have as few problems with them as possible and exercise my grabbing by the collar routine when needed hehe. :)

To the OP: Good luck with getting your new receivers, hopefully gratis as well! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)