Interesting details on those government channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
I just noticed that channel 4 on the VA mux, the one that flips between CNN and Fox News, is now showing a tag at the bottom of the screen that says "GETN Home Channel." So I did a little searching...

Turns out, GETN is the "Government Education and Training Network" and its the operation behind all of those government channels on 93 west. I figured there must be some reason the government had everything (except VA of course) on the same satellite and this is it.

http://getn.govdl.org/page.cfm?page=1

"GETN was conceived in 1992 at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, by the Air Force Institute of Technology..."

Among the GETN members that uplink, you'll notice it's the 93W line-up:
  • US Air Force, with 1 uplink (5 channel capacity), 9 broadcast centers, 213 downlinks, and 353 downlinks-the USAF uplink also acts as the Defense Education & Training Network (DETN) Hub
  • Air National Guard, with 1 uplink (2 channel capacity), 2 broadcast centers, 191 downlinks, and 338 classrooms
  • Federal Aviation Administration, with 1 uplink (1 channel capacity), 1 broadcast center, 125 downlinks, and 162 classrooms
  • Department of Justice, with 1 uplink (3 channel capacity), 3 broadcast centers, 183 downlinks, and 506 classrooms
I'd come across the channels of course, but I hadn't come across GETN before. There's even a schedule of sorts of public programming, but it's out of date.

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Happy Father's Day!

I have a theory and question....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)