Interesting Install...

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
My brother just had his Dish Network installed yesterday. He got the 522 (living room and bedroom) and 311 (other bedroom). I went over to check it out and see how the install went.

When I got there, the first thing I noticed was that his PQ looked like @$$. He has a 5-year old RCA 36" Analog TV. I started investigating, Signal strength was in the upper 110's. Pulled out the TV, and found the main problem was that they had hooked up his 522 using the old (probably 15+ year old) coax from his old cable box connection running thru the VCR. They hadnt bothered w/ the Composite or S-video wires. When I was finished it was rewired using S-Video...and the PQ was awesome.

Did notice something strange though...or at least I thought it was strange. I didn't dig up in the attic, but this was how I found the connections at the back of the TV...

I had expected to see three wires coming out of the wall...two incoming to the 522, and a third going back out to the bedroom. What I found was two. One ran directly to Tuner 1 Sat input, but the second ran to a diplexor, and split to both the Tuner 2 Sat input and the Tuner 2 RF output. I assume in the attic, the other end of the wire is diplexed to the Dish and the other to his bedroom. Interesting use of diplexors...splitting incoming and outgoing on a single wire...anyone else ever seen it done this way? It seems to work OK.

121 question

Closed Caption on 811

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)