Status
Please reply by conversation.

kingjeste

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 23, 2008
Ohio
I thought of something interesting.. At least to me & maybe to you..

What's your strangest or interesting satellite/channel(s) you have came across when scanning? On KU or C band

Intresting to me.. On AMC5 79W .. CBS,NBC news feeds.. Watching them act funny before going live..

Something I found interesting was watching a major news reporter do their bit and then re-do the last sentence about 20 times, each time using a different station's identification and "back to you <insert name here>" routines. I guess I never realized these "on the scene" shots were personalized so much.

In the offbeat category I have two minor ones I keep remembering, but probably neither were funny to anyone but me. All I can say about one is "ladder safety video" and the other was a channel that uplinked the output of a Sling box/catcher/player for quite a few minutes.

The last one actually got me interested in the question, "What would it take to uplink something?"

Back during the first gulf war, ie approx 1990, it was a very tense time, since they were afraid of skud missles coming in with nerve or mustard gas, and CNN had a 24/7 live feed from Saudi Arabia (?sp?). Most of the time it was just the camera aimed at a chair, but when a skud was incoming, you'd hear horns blowing, and the reporters would come up live, etc.
One day, they were apparently supposed to be interviewing some Saudi official, but neither the official or the reporters appeared, so the camera men were there with nothing to do, so they set up these little "Mr Bill" type dolls on the chair, and started talking in high voices, first simulating the interview, but then simulating a skud attack, shaking the chair and making boom type sounds, and blowing cigarrette smoke across in front of the dolls.
That had to be about the strangest and funniest thing I've seen on satellite.

I was actually recording at the time, and saved that on VHS tape for many years, and still probably have it somewhere, except that my VHF tap player has long since died.

:)

Back during the first gulf war, ie approx 1990, it was a very tense time, since they were afraid of skud missles coming in with nerve or mustard gas, and CNN had a 24/7 live feed from Saudi Arabia (?sp?). Most of the time it was just the camera aimed at a chair, but when a skud was incoming, you'd hear horns blowing, and the reporters would come up live, etc.
One day, they were apparently supposed to be interviewing some Saudi official, but neither the official or the reporters appeared, so the camera men were there with nothing to do, so they set up these little "Mr Bill" type dolls on the chair, and started talking in high voices, first simulating the interview, but then simulating a skud attack, shaking the chair and making boom type sounds, and blowing cigarrette smoke across in front of the dolls.
That had to be about the strangest and funniest thing I've seen on satellite.

I was actually recording at the time, and saved that on VHS tape for many years, and still probably have it somewhere, except that my VHF tap player has long since died.

I would like to see that..Too bad ya player died.. Know someone with one to convert it dvd.if not send it my way..I'd convert it for you..got 2 home dvd recorders,and 2 vcr's.. :)

Anyways. Thanks all for sharing. Please keep'em coming.. I find this very interesting..

Mr.Miller/Kingjeste

I recently watched the NBC sports guys waiting for the game to get over so they could do their show. They were dicussing which plays and players to cover and how to cover them and Bob Costas must have been real tired because he yawned several times. Also caught some interesting feeds on Election Day.

I've seen a couple announcers give out their cell # (to someone in the truck or at the studio) thinking noone is watching

I love when the sports guys have to do the beginning like 10 times because they keep screwing up

my personal favorite was a Minn Goofer/St Cloud State college hockey game. The Goofer announcers (they were on the road) decided to do their pregame in front of the St Cloud student section. So as they're trying to do the beginning they keep screwing up, mainly because the student section is chanting stuff already (mainly chanting former goofer coach and now broadcaster Doug Woog's name "Wooger"). The play by play guy is getting frustrated because he keeps screwing up.

Anyways he starts his pregame and the fans are chanting "wooger...wooger" and in mid sentence Mazocco (the pxp guy) turns to them and says "will you shut the f*** up. We're trying to do the pregame"

yeah....like that will stop them from chanting even more....they ended up having to go to a different part of the arena to do the pregame thing. :)

The most unusual I ever came across was during the early 90's while running thru c band about 2AM. It was a embalming class with male cadaver on the slab. The "donor" was covered up but his tongue was sticking out of his mouth about 4 inches! Did not know weather to laugh or gag. think I have a vhs tape of that somewhere.

That would interesting.. Here's an thought.. Post your strange/interesting video's.. if you can.. That would be nice to see the weird/strange stuff. at least to me it would..

My first experience ever with a wild feed was in the control room of WGNO, back in '88 when everything was analog. The engineer and I were watching a raw live feed of the Pan Am 103 Lockerbie crash as he was taping it to one inch Type C videotape. That was the first time I realized how graphic unedited video from the source can be...

During Spring Training a few years back George Michael Sports machine was doing an interview w/ Washington Senators General Manager who was once with the Giants organization ....
Off camera he was telling everyone juicy stories about Barry Bonds and about how when Barry Sanders came to the Giants he complained about having his locker next to Bonds because he was such a miserable guy , once they were done with the segment he said let me tell you a funny story and then the feed cut out.

The only thing I miss not recording was a reality show from Argentina where people put there spouses or family members into situations unknowingly , it was like MTV's Boiling Point on Steroids ...... the reactions were unbelievable , I would have divorced my wife or beat my kids if they did some of that stuff to me , when the host finally let the victim know it was a planned joke you could tell they weren't very happy or ready to let there friends or family off the hook.

during the kids choice awards one of the audio channels was the director, she had quite a potty mouth ! good thing that channel never made it to the public, it wouldnt have been G rated anymore.

I wonder what kind of technology it would take to use a direcpc dish and uplink video to a unused transponder or EME bounce for a couple minutes for the heck of it. Ive seen satellite receivers but not satellite tranceivers.

I wonder what kind of technology it would take to use a direcpc dish and uplink video to a unused transponder or EME bounce for a couple minutes for the heck of it. Ive seen satellite receivers but not satellite tranceivers.
For some ideas of what hardware is used search for "qpsk modulator", "dvb encoder", and "upconverter" (ignoring DVD stuff) on eBay. :)

I am curious about the same thing. Basically I was wondering whether an encoder / modulator / upconverter setup (or what the correct combination is) with a DirecWay 1 Watt transmitter would be enough to uplink something. Of course at $650 per hour it wouldn't be exactly cheap, and I have no reason to do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)