Interesting Sling TV dilemma

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Having the Fox lineup, some days I will get WAGA FOX 5 Atlanta and other days just the on demand content. Same with local now. Some days it's Chattanooga and others it's Atlanta. After calling Sling TV, it's because of my IP address. If it's closer to Chattanooga I just get on demand and Chattanooga info on local now. Others, it's based either out of Atlanta or near and I get FOX 5 live stream and Atlanta news on local now. Where I live is a fringe area for both Chattanooga and Atlanta markets. Personally, Id rather have Fox 5 live stream and Atlanta news, Sling TV tech said there are other cases of this in case anyone is having similar issues. Andy

This happens with other IP based location decisions. When I am in Ct I am about 80 miles from Boston, about 15 miles from Mass border 125 miles from the NY border, 150 miles from NYC. Yet sometimes MLBTV online says I can watch the Red Sox, and it is always because my IP address is from NY at that time.

My Dynamic IP address rarely changes, but when it does I can tell it did if it's within about an hour or two. During that time after a new IP address is assigned Google goes berserk, wants to know what Country I am in and my Cell phone may not connect to the internet via Wifi. It has always been that with with Charter in Ct, never with Brighthouse. (In FL)

Sometimes, Sony Vue's website seems to think I am in Chicago and wants to give me Chicago locals, even though I am clearly in the Indianapolis DMA. I bet if I had the Sling Fox package, I'd get Chicago Fox some days and not others.

Sometimes, Sony Vue's website seems to think I am in Chicago and wants to give me Chicago locals, even though I am clearly in the Indianapolis DMA. I bet if I had the Sling Fox package, I'd get Chicago Fox some days and not others.

I don't get how Vue detects your zip code. I'm in Illinois and for some reason it detected my location as a San Francisco zip code and I was getting San Francisco locals on the free trial with a pacific time zone guide. I inquired with customer chat and all they said is I could change it after the free trial was up if I wanted to... Some of the other channels also had the west coast feed instead of the east coast so the times were different for some shows. I don't understand how it detects the zip code/location. It says the location of your Playstation. I don't even have a Playstation as I use the Amazon Fire Stick.

I don't get how Vue detects your zip code. I'm in Illinois and for some reason it detected my location as a San Francisco zip code and I was getting San Francisco locals on the free trial with a pacific time zone guide. I inquired with customer chat and all they said is I could change it after the free trial was up if I wanted to... Some of the other channels also had the west coast feed instead of the east coast so the times were different for some shows. I don't understand how it detects the zip code/location. It says the location of your Playstation. I don't even have a Playstation as I use the Amazon Fire Stick.
That's weird!!

It is legal to get local news or exclusive local programs from distance channels streaming but nothing else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)