Interesting Story on CBS Sunday Morning. Kids have little interest in Baseball Cards.

televisionarchives

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Collectors lament baseball's House of Cards - CBS News
I go to Garage Sales every chance I get . People selling them all the time and nobody seems to be buying them. When I was living at home back in the 1970's we pulled some panels off the living room to replace them and found a very old baseball card that someone had put in the wall as a kind of time capsule.

Last edited:
with 500 TV channels, the internet and video games at an instant I can believe it

Also arent they like $3 a pack now or something?

I havent collected cards in years but if I remember right mid 80's it was like this

49 cents for a pack
79 or 89 cents for the "blister pack" which had like 3 packs in one and you could see the top and bottom card
1.09 for the 3 pack which was 3 packs of cards but you could see the front and back of 6 cards

3 companies...Topps, Donruss and Fleer. Topps had gum, Fleer had puzzle and Donruss had stickers (or maybe the other way around)
Upper Deck came in 89 and that started the glossy cards.

Then it started getting expensive

I havent collected cards in years but if I remember right mid 80's it was like this

49 cents for a pack
79 or 89 cents for the "blister pack" which had like 3 packs in one and you could see the top and bottom card
1.09 for the 3 pack which was 3 packs of cards but you could see the front and back of 6 cards

3 companies...Topps, Donruss and Fleer. Topps had gum, Fleer had puzzle and Donruss had stickers (or maybe the other way around)
Upper Deck came in 89 and that started the glossy cards.

Then it started getting expensive

That's right. I always thought Topps did the best card. I will never forget that gum.

Nickel a pack, when I was a kid, I'm pretty sure. No one in my neighborhood besides me was a baseball fan in the late 1950s or early 1960s, and no one collected them. We just chewed the gum and scaled the cards against a wall at recess, and sometimes clipped them to our bicycles fender supports so they could make noise when flicked by the spokes.

I once met a guy who actually had been saving them from the early 1960s. His prize was a Pete Rose rookie card. Me, I used to collect coins, mostly, "s" pennies and Mercury dimes and Buffalo nickels. I never really understood buying "collectable" coins or baseball cards, but then I never had enough money to buy any premium ones.

Yea, hate to sound all "old days" but I can remember getting a kick out of going to the drug store with my bissies buying packs for 50 cents and seeing what you got. That was maybe about 20-25 years ago. I do remember seeing the change when packs were going up and it was about is it a rookie card and how much is it worth and talking about how the market was saturated. I have binders and binders of football and baseball cards and special holders for cards I thought had worth

Funny thing about the cards, when I Pull them out and look at them every so often I makes me think of what I was doing at that time and friends who were collecting with me :) The stories about getting thencards and the good times we had

I have a few cases of starting lineup figures as well, remember those? A good friend of mine who is a Denver broncos fan asked if I could give him my colts Payton manning starting lineup lol

I have tried to get me five year old into cards a bit, for now it's all Pokemon cards :(

Being able to read a comic book off of a tablet doesn't help either.

oh, I know. I've downloaded many I already own for the convenience of reading them on my iPad. I also probably buy a few a month digitally and download others on occasion not so legitly. I enjoy buying comics, the industry killed itself before digital mediums could as the 90s bubble bust among the heaping pile of alternate covers and poor story arcs (Though, my favorite ever came from the 90s... The Age of Apocalypse).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Who's the better quarterback Eli or Peyton?

Fantasy Baseball?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)